Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2018 - General discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Strange seeing all the reports of the heavy rain in other parts of the country this week and again this morning and less than 1mm falling here in Tralee all week and dry this morning . Quite overcast and dull this morning , not much rain on radar showing up near us yet.

Next week has the potential for some very windy and wet weather at times. The charts are chopping and changing but the theme is quite unsettled.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Strange seeing all the reports of the heavy rain in other parts of the country this week and again this morning and less than 1mm falling here in Tralee all week and dry this morning . Quite overcast and dull this morning , not much rain on radar showing up near us yet.

Next week has the potential for some very windy and wet weather at times. The charts are chopping and changing but the theme is quite unsettled.

The next week or two ain't looking good with plenty of rain with the Atlantic really taking charge.

It's been a very wet week here, which I originally thought would have been a dry respite after 2 very wet and mild weeks previous to that..

Dunsany is located about 5 miles from me, so this would be fairly accurate to what has been happening at my location. The easterly from the past few days has brought nothing but misery here with so much rain and very chilling feeling temperatures - the worse of both worlds. It all started on 19th November with some light showers initially.

19th November - 0.9mm - max temp 9.3C
    20th November - 19.3mm - max temp 7.0C
    21st November - 27.6mm - max temp 5.5C
    22nd November - 3.9mm - max temp 7.4C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The forum is like a ghost town for the time of year which probably says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

This weather is the worst of all weather, cold dark and wet. Give me any other weather other than this sh1te.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

OTD back in 1981 when there was 102 tornadoes reported in the UK!

https://twitter.com/bbcweather/status/1065968065538662400

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway 23/11/18 7.35 temperature 1°C
    rBXgHJp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I’d obviously rather dry weather to anything cold dry sunny weather is fine. I hate snow the wet the cold the disruption etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

I’d obviously rather dry weather to anything cold dry sunny weather is fine. I hate snow the wet the cold the disruption etc.

Maybe you should move to a warmer climate then ?

That’s like saying the snow bunnies on here should move to a snowy colder climate? I mention I don’t like the cold on a weather forum your answer is move to a colder climate. Thanks for that. This forum is like an echo chamber at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That’s like saying the snow bunnies on here should move to a snowy colder climate?

Weellllll, not quite. I think snow bunnies are usually also grand with the weather when it isn't snowing, they just would love to see snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ah Jesus it's like groundhog Day.

Claremorris co mayo 24/11/18 13.30 temperature 8°C
    yodFdZj.jpg

Tuam Co galway 24/11/18 15.45 temperature 6°C
    raTxIWy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Beautiful evening again tonight, whatever about the rest of the country is been a really nice week here with plenty of calm bright weather

Beautiful evening again tonight, whatever about the rest of the country is been a really nice week here with plenty of calm bright weather

Enjoy it I know ye get a fair share of bad weather there. Dark cool day here rain on and off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

torrential rain here again this evening, drains over flowing on the main street in Dunshaughlin and water running down both sides of main street, be careful if driving.

The weather Gods have really had it in for us here this week with the wettest week I can remember in a long time.

edit: a narrow band of extremely heavy rain has developed out of nowhere from the Irish sea and pushing extremely heavy rain in a narrow line from Balbriggan, through Ashbourne, Ratoath and Dunshaughlin, heading towards Kinnegad and dying out. Most of the rest of Ireland is dry and rain free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Gonzo wrote: »
    torrential rain here again this evening, drains over flowing on the main street in Dunshaughlin and water running down both sides of main street, be careful if driving.

The weather Gods have really had it in for us here this week with the wettest week I can remember in a long time.

edit: a narrow band of extremely heavy rain has developed out of nowhere from the Irish sea and pushing extremely heavy rain in a narrow line from Balbriggan, through Ashbourne, Ratoath and Dunshaughlin, heading towards Kinnegad and dying out. Most of the rest of Ireland is dry and rain free.

Can you imagine if it had been snow

Can you imagine if it had been snow

I've been thinking that since last Tuesday. It would rival the snow in eastern Northern Ireland in March 2013. We must have close to 70mm of rain here since Wednesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Rain since early morning here

Foggy and cold here. Frost on car. Everywhere saturated wet from the rain the last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Look at that lovely little strip of rain stretching from drogheda to kells on the rainfall chart, i can definitely confirm that its accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Bright and crisp in Castlebar, it is very unusual for us to have had just one wet day out of the last 10 days in November.

Look at that lovely little strip of rain stretching from drogheda to kells on the rainfall chart, i can definitely confirm that its accurate

thankfully that seems to be just about avoiding me, running just to my north. The Isle of Man shadow did not effect me once over the past week, with the Irish Sea driving a relentless stream of rain over us.

I can almost guarantee if we do get an easterly that's cold enough for snow later this winter, that the IOM Shadow will be plaguing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Stunning day in Donegal again, clear, crisp and frosty, the sea is like glass

Gonzo wrote: »
    thankfully that seems to be just about avoiding me, running just to my north. The Isle of Man shadow did not effect me once over the past week, with the Irish Sea driving a relentless stream of rain over us.

I can almost guarantee if we do get an easterly that's cold enough for snow later this winter, that the IOM Shadow will be plaguing me!

Miserable here in Dundalk as well. The current direction of the streamers would have been lovely for snow here. Anything North of Easterly and it is blocked by the Cooley/Mournes snow shield.

back to miserable here again, persistent drizzly showers after last nights very heavy rain.

This could well end up being our wettest month of 2018 with no let up in the unsettled conditions continuing into the start of December at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Beautifully sunny day in West Clare, not a cloud to be seen. Overnight minimum of 1.4c and a slight grass frost.

Tuam Co galway 25/11/18 14.25 temperature 7°C
    ZbngTiK.jpg

This week is almost a total reverse of fortunes. Misery, rain and very little if any sun all week in the east while the west has mostly had sunny, dry conditions with some night time frosts.

Tomorrow may have a few hours of relief from the rain in the east and north-east, but back to Atlantic rains and milder temperatures from Tuesday. Next week is looking particularly wet in the west, but the east will also continue to see a fair share of rain.

• Advertisement

Tuam Co galway 25/11/18 15.30 temperature 6°C
    tXTs6n4.jpg

Advertisement