Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant left before contract was up

Options
  • 24-08-2018 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Feeling so annoyed this evening.
    Had a two bedroom flat let to a tenant who signed a twelve month contract from 28th of February 2018 for twelve months.Found out this evening 24.08.2018 that the tenant has left.
    Bin collection was cancelled then found the two keys under the doormat out in front door.
    What action should I take to recover the remaining rent i.e of the months that are left of the tenancy?
    It is registered and tax is paid on the rental.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Be grateful they understayed rather than overstayed!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

As above not much you can do.

Have they looked for deposit?

You can use this up for things such as damage, cleaning and having to re advertise.

It would be throwing money to try and get anything which you more then likely wouldn't.

Be glad not trashed and owing rent and still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Pod123 wrote: »
    What action should I take to recover the remaining rent i.e of the months that are left of the tenancy?

Get new tenants asap. shouldn't be to hard.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just to be clear, are you 100% sure that they've left? You dont want to let it to new tenants and then find that the original tenant never actually left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Just to be clear, are you 100% sure that they've left? You dont want to let it to new tenants and then find that the original tenant never actually left.

Not too many tennants will cancel bins and leave their keys under the doormat if they planned on staying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is their stuff still in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Pod123

All contents of tenant are gone.
    Went through camera and have car reg.
    Is it possible to get a forward address from car reg?
    Lucky that Esb was Pre pay.
    Thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Just get new tenants and move on. i guess they haven't looked for their deposit back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

It's crazy that the landlord has to just 'let it go' and think themselves lucky, unfortunately that's the way things go.... Contact the RTB and see what they tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it possible to get a forward address from car reg?

Not legally, perhaps some dodgy Garda or civil servant might give it over thinking it's all just a bit of craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's crazy that the landlord has to just 'let it go' and think themselves lucky, unfortunately that's the way things go.... Contact the RTB and see what they tell you.

But in all honesty they are extremely lucky ....

Look at all the LL that come on here after property is destroyed, bin bags by the dozens left everywhere, human filth, animal filth just crazy people, grow houses...... Etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

As others have said, don’t waste your breadth as it will prove fruitless. It’s part and parcel of any business that some extra work or losses might happen. In your case, it looks like you got off “lucky” for your “difficult” situation. Advertise it as soon as possible and start making money again. Personally if tenants left in the manor they left in, I would also change the locks of the house in case you have some unwanted visitors a year or 2 down the line. Normally people would at least give you a heads up as they don’t really have much to loose. It’s just a precausion but it’s a small price to pay to protect yourself

Thanks for all the quick replies.
    A lesson learnt,will change locks today and get it back up for rent. Hard to feel cheated just feel if it was the other way round and we broke the contract the tenant would have more rights.I will have to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Just ask for 2/3 months rent up front. Then these cnuts might think twice about breaking their lease. Landlords market out there so make them play by your rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

If you get new tenants soon will you actually have suffered any monetary loss? Does the deposit cover a few weeks and any damage.

Your main gripe is the short term annoyance of finding someone new

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

When did you last receive a rent-payment? When is the next one due?

Paid in a months advance.That is my gripe to find someone again. Have everything above board tax wise etc. Did not get caught for rent or utility bills.
    It’s just you have a signed contract and it gives you no fall back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Yuo've a duty to mitigate loss, so you need tenants in etc. before you know what your losses are. You cant claim for the rest of the tenancy. At this point chalk it up to the cost of being a LL. Believe me this is the very smallest issue on the scale of things.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Report to the RTB.
    Most likely nothing will come from it, but if you don’t, statistics will continue to show that landlords are the enemy here. You need to log it so that the rtb have a record of a tennant walking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Paid in a months advance.That is my gripe to find someone again. Have everything above board tax wise etc. Did not get caught for rent or utility bills.
    It’s just you have a signed contract and it gives you no fall back on.

Are you new to this landlord thing by any chance. You can't get caught for utility bills as long as they're in the tenants names. You'll have it let again within a week so forget the other tenant and the rent they might owe because you have zero chance of getting it. Read up on some of the horror stories where a tenant pays no rent for 12-18 months and then thrashes the place when you do eventually get him out. If that were to happen to you, you have no chance of getting anything back either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

That's a mischaracterization.

The landlord is entitled to recoup any reasonable costs they've incurred which is pretty standard in contract law.

At the moment it's easy to re-let so costs are basically the cost of re-letting: cleaning, repair, advertising fees, a short but reasonable vacant period.

If the economic climate was worse, the reasonable costs would be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Homer wrote: »
    Just ask for 2/3 months rent up front. Then these cnuts might think twice about breaking their lease. Landlords market out there so make them play by your rules.

Its attitudes like yours that give people the "fcuk the landlord" attitude in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

All sorts of things happen to people to cause them to break a rental agreement. Someone can lose their job, couples can split up, a better job offer can come up in anthother town or illness. It would have been better if they had let you know but in times of stress people act out of character.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So you're a month up on the rent, and presumably they didn't ask for their deposit back either. So that's two months.

Most likely you'll have it let again in a week.

This is a big WIN for you, of about seven weeks rent. Maybe only six with the cost of advertisiing and cleaning.

When the other option is that the tenant could have stayed, and stopped paying rent.

Grow some gratitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

I think this also highlights how it isn’t worth a LL’s while signing a contract for a tenancy. It effectively ties their hands even more. If a LL breaks the lease they are in trouble, whereas in virtually every case the tenant just walks away.

Last rent came in July tenant moved out then in 20th of August.
    All work in flat done to spec with certs got for all work done from electric to gas cooker installation.
    Not my first time of been LL.
    Had dealings with social letting which was a nightmare with that tenant.
    I understand circumstances change for people but a phone call to say they can’t stay on the lease is all I would have asked.
    I know it will rent out again.
    Thanks for all replies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Its attitudes like yours that give people the "fcuk the landlord" attitude in the first place.

And to balance the argument, it’s attitudes like the tenants in the OP that give rise to the ‘fcuk the tenant’ attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Pod123 wrote:
    Feeling so annoyed this evening. Had a two bedroom flat let to a tenant who signed a twelve month contract from 28th of February 2018 for twelve months.Found out this evening 24.08.2018 that the tenant has left. Bin collection was cancelled then found the two keys under the doormat out in front door. What action should I take to recover the remaining rent i.e of the months that are left of the tenancy? It is registered and tax is paid on the rental. Thanks in advance.

The steps you need to take are to advertise it & rent it again.

I'd have seen this as a negative a few years ago as the room could be empty for a few weeks but in todays market you have a good chance of getting someone in within days. You also get to keep the months deposit. Get someone in quick enough & you'll make a small profit on the deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You can keep their deposit, nothing else really.
    Be grateful they didn’t wreck th place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Gael23 wrote: »
    You can keep their deposit, nothing else really.
    Be grateful they didn’t wreck th place.

At a moment minimum they can keep partial of the deposit however you do have to mitigate your losses and re let it asap

Advertisement