Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant left before contract was up

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dr_Kolossus

Fol20 wrote: »
    At a moment minimum they can keep partial of the deposit however you do have to mitigate your losses and re let it asap

Stupidly, I think op actually has to return the deposit, I shouldn't be used to cover rent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Stupidly, I think op actually has to return the deposit, I shouldn't be used to cover rent

Tenant hasn't given notice, op can use for last month's rent, technically it is now being used to cover arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If this is true, this is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dr_Kolossus

Going from memory here. I thought I read a post here a long time ago where a landlord withheld deposit when owed several months rent. He won case with rtb and tenant was ordered to pay a nominal sum in repayments (like 5 eur a month forever). But LL was ordered by rtb to repay the deposit as this is seen as separate to the rent.

I think same rules apply other way around, I.e. Tennant can't use deposit to pay last months rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

The RTB state that the landlord can "establish a right" to retain the deposit for rent arrears and/or terminating a fixed term contract early:

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/deposits/

What this means the landlord has to do in practice to cover themselves legally in these circumstances, given that the tenant has made no communication and has merely left the keys under the doormat, I don't know.

I would produce a closing statement of account outlining the arrears etc. at least just in case the tenant pops up and asks for it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Landlord can withhold deposit if notice specified in lease is not given.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Going from memory here. I thought I read a post here a long time ago where a landlord withheld deposit when owed several months rent. He won case with rtb and tenant was ordered to pay a nominal sum in repayments (like 5 eur a month forever). But LL was ordered by rtb to repay the deposit as this is seen as separate to the rent.

I think same rules apply other way around, I.e. Tennant can't use deposit to pay last months rent.

Yea I read something along those lines also. No doubt once he gets the deposit back. That 5e will will cease to be sent

Advertisement