Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage Problem on Laptop

• 25-08-2018 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Acer Aspire 1 Intel® Celeron® 4GB Memory 32GB Storage 14in Laptop
    Acer Aspire 1 A114-31 Notebook - (Intel Celeron N3350, 4GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, 14" HD Display, Red)

I've my laptop less than a year and I've always struggled with the storage. It's constantly reminding me that I'm low on storage and I can't even update it because of this. All I use it for is google and microsoft so I don't see how that would take up a lot of space.

I've deleted apps that I don't need. I regularly delete temporary files. Storage sense is turned on. I bought a 16Gb Micro SD card and I was able move a few things to that but the majority of the apps were 'not compatible'. Now the SD card has suddenly stopped showing up on the laptop. I've downloaded Total PC Cleaner but that didn't clear much.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could create more space? I really need a laptop for school and can't afford another one or any pricey upgrade. Storage has been a problem from very early days.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

maybe get an external usb hard drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Eve2001 wrote: »
    Acer Aspire 1 Intel® Celeron® 4GB Memory 32GB Storage 14in Laptop
    Acer Aspire 1 A114-31 Notebook - (Intel Celeron N3350, 4GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, 14" HD Display, Red)

I've my laptop less than a year and I've always struggled with the storage. It's constantly reminding me that I'm low on storage and I can't even update it because of this. All I use it for is google and microsoft so I don't see how that would take up a lot of space.

I've deleted apps that I don't need. I regularly delete temporary files. Storage sense is turned on. I bought a 16Gb Micro SD card and I was able move a few things to that but the majority of the apps were 'not compatible'. Now the SD card has suddenly stopped showing up on the laptop. I've downloaded Total PC Cleaner but that didn't clear much.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could create more space? I really need a laptop for school and can't afford another one or any pricey upgrade. Storage has been a problem from very early days.

I presume you have windows 10 installed?
    If so then half or your 32GB storage is already taken up by it which doesn't leave alot of storage for much else.

As suggested already a usb hard drive would be your best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What you bought is comparable to a car with a petrol tank the size of a kids juicebox. Acer shouldnt be selling them.

32GB is really 28GB after formatting.
    Reserve about 2GB for system partitions, 26GB.
    My W10 based install is currently at 26.2GB for JUST C\Windows.

External storage cannot fix this. You cannot upgrade the existing EMMC as its soldered on.

Really bin it, a €50 dell from 5yrs ago is a far better deal even if its a bit heavier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Do a fresh install (not an upgrade). I have 15GB free of 32GB when I do this with the latest version of Windows 10. Upgrade won't work as its doesn't have enough space.
    Also turn off this... https://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-internet/
    I never run about of storage as I just use it for the web or watch movies off a USB stick.

Its not a laptop, its a netbook/cloud book. Its meant for using the web and not installing many if any applications. Its small and light so you can carry it everywhere.
    If want to run something more than that, I use a full sized laptop, or desktop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would say get a tiny model USB key and stick it in and leave it there as permanent storage. Like this.

32GB drive with Win10 is a joke and should never been sold like that. That's barely enough for the OS and updates let alone installing other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I would say get a tiny model USB key and stick it in and leave it there as permanent storage. Like this.

32GB drive with Win10 is a joke and should never been sold like that. That's barely enough for the OS and updates let alone installing other stuff.

That's unbelievable, there's probably better spec phones available. My C:\Windows is 36GB...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

And just to add to what others have said. Using a micro SD card for applications/storage in this way is risky. It has disappeared from laptop, likely because it has failed. Most cards are not supposed to be written to constantly (which is what will happen if apps are installed there). Which caused premature failure, and loss of all data on the card. Perhaps this isn't too much of a loss if it is only apps you have there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Try Ubuntu on it.

People are missing the point. These laptops are basically chrome books. Not proper laptops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

32GB is nothing and will just create problems.

• Advertisement

I've had mine 2yrs and no problems.

Until the last update which was the first one that was too big to update. Had to do a fresh install.

But I'm not using as my main laptop. Because that's not what's it's for.

That said I wouldn't buy another unless it had 128 at least. Mine has a m2 slot so I can add another drive. Haven't needed to yet. This ASUS the op has doesn't have a m2 slot as far as I know.

Advertisement