Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a school in City/West Cork

Options
  • 25-08-2018 7:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

My son is 10 years old and I'm planning to move back to Ireland when he will be 12. So I'm starting to look into the education side of things. Perhaps it's a bit late already.

So if somebody can recommend a school in the City or Bishopstown, Ballincollig area it'll be great!

Also what is the situation with baptism cert? Is it always required?

Any input much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Is your son 10 or 12 and are you looking for a primary or secondary school ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Is your son 10 or 12 and are you looking for a primary or secondary school ?

He’s 10 now and will be 12 when they move back I’d say.

OP, do you have a preference for a mixed school or boys only?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 borlandc

bee06 wrote: »
    He’s 10 now and will be 12 when they move back I’d say.
    that's right. thanks

OP, do you have a preference for a mixed school or boys only?

I more leaning towards mixed school but I think that will greatly limited my choices.

Right now I'm more concerned about the cert thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Mixed schools would probably mean either Ballincollig Community School, Colláiste Choilm or Bishopstown Community School. It's probably a question of which is more conveniently located to wherever you end up living. There is a new 600 pupil school planned to Ballincollig but that isn't scheduled to open until 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 borlandc

Thanks a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

Getting into Ballincollig Community School or Colláiste Choilm is tough simply due to the high numbers - I'd contact them sooner rather than later and find out about the admissions process.

One thing to keep in mind is that for Community Schools I don't think the Baptism Cert is needed. It wasn't when my daughter went to Ballincollig Community School.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 darash

borlandc wrote: »
    Hi all,

My son is 10 years old and I'm planning to move back to Ireland when he will be 12. So I'm starting to look into the education side of things. Perhaps it's a bit late already.

So if somebody can recommend a school in the City or Bishopstown, Ballincollig area it'll be great!

Also what is the situation with baptism cert? Is it always required?

Any input much appreciated!

Both my children went to Colaiste Choilm in Ballincollig and I'd highly recommend it. Its a huge mixed secondary, 1400 students approx, the Community School is more or less the same. Didn't need baptismal certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Forget Col Choilm if you are not in one of feeder schools in catchment area. Same goes for Mount mercy, spioraid naoimh, Blarney, Coachford. Not sure about BCS. So you may think you have a wide choice, I'd check admissions policies to avoid disappointment.

Advertisement