Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Were you ever discriminated against for being Irish?

• 25-08-2018 9:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭

We all know about the "no Irish need apply" signs in USA back in the 1900s and Irish people being treated badly in England being labelled a terrorist and paddy etc. But how abojg in the present, have you ever been discriminated against for being Irish?

I can't really think of anything aside from a few jokes at my expense anywhere I've went in the world. The typical potato, alcoholic jokes sure but it's just banter. I find our drinking reputation quite amusing tbh.

I would be interested reading stories about this topic.

Comments

I've never been discriminated against for being Irish. I've been discriminated against for being white plenty of times... (from living in Asia)

TBH I've had far more examples of people seeking to discriminate against me because they thought me to be American or British, but after explaining that I'm Irish, they'd welcome me with open hours and bend over backwards to apologise. (Australia is a good example of this)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Nah, anyway, going out to cut my planter class occupied garden grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

Yes, I remember 'no Irish' signs at BCM in Magaluf in the mid '90s and a generally hostile attitude to Irish people, maybe similar to what muslims get now. That was a dicey time being Irish among pissed up aggressive Brits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Taytoland wrote: »
    Nah, anyway, going out to cut my planter class occupied garden grass.

You have to go back... To Scotland that is..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Nothing serious, a New Zealander was a bit of a prick to me in Holland years ago because I was Irish and a Scottish woman a bit of a bitch in Scotland but both just drunken bitchiness on their part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I've never been discriminated against for being Irish. I've been discriminated against for being white plenty of times... (from living in Asia)

TBH I've had far more examples of people seeking to discriminate against me because they thought me to be American or British, but after explaining that I'm Irish, they'd welcome me with open hours and bend over backwards to apologise. (Australia is a good example of this)
    I used to get a lot of Aussies think I was English when they heard my accent. I never quite got why they used to apologise so hard. I was never offended by it but apparantly a lot of Irish people fire up if they get mistaken for being English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I’ve had a bit of teasing in England a few times. Nothing serious but it gets pretty tiresome when someone keeps it up.

You also get the odd bit of stereotyping that assumes you’re some kind of right wing Catholic. I’ve had weird comments about “my catholic guilt complex” which, to be honest is a bit of an odd one as I’m a goddess type, from a long line of godless types and grew up in a very liberal household.

I’ve seen far, far worse melted out to people from the North of England in London though. Endless mocking of accents and so on.

The main one I find in England is they won’t discriminate against you when you want them to! I have had a few right wing, “totally not xenophobic” brexiteers coming out with “ah you’re one of us mate” “the Irish aren’t foreign” ... I was pointing out that “I fecking am!”

I’d say the worst I’ve had was in the US though but it wasn’t really “nasty” just being asked did to say the lucky charms slogan or why I wasn’t drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I couldn't apply to be POTUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

When I lived in England yes. However in Spain as soon as you say you're Irish they absolutely love you, even more so if you dislike the Brits.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

Yeah in America, the whole 'everybody loves Ireland' stuff is nonsense. In California, loads haven't a clue about it and ones who do it means nothing to. Maybe on east coast it's different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not for being Irish but was called a few names for the Colour of my skin in India and Somalia.

But never bothered me one bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

MarkY91 wrote: »
    We all know about the "no Irish need apply" signs in USA back in the 1900s and Irish people being treated badly in England being labelled a terrorist and paddy etc. But how abojg in the present, have you ever been discriminated against for being Irish?

I can't really think of anything aside from a few jokes at my expense anywhere I've went in the world. The typical potato, alcoholic jokes sure but it's just banter. I find our drinking reputation quite amusing tbh.

I would be interested reading stories about this topic.

As long as its only the bants OMG lol

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I couldn't apply to be POTUS.

The main qualification for that seems to be a reference from the Russian Mafia and the mob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've received a bit of anti-Dublin guff from some bog hoppers over here. The natives have been more than sound though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

shakeitoff wrote: »
    Yeah in America, the whole 'everybody loves Ireland' stuff is nonsense. In California, loads haven't a clue about it and ones who do it means nothing to. Maybe on east coast it's different.

But what was the discrimination?

But what was the discrimination?

Sounds a lot more like failure to discriminate! The cheek of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Plenty of times when they think I'm British but when I explain I'm Irish they always invite to tarmac their driveway

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

Even now hearing "Football's Coming Home" puts me on edge from experiences of being in the bar where you are the targeted minority, scared some prick is going to point out your accent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I was racially abused one time, was told Irish people are unevolved with ugly unrefined faces like monkeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I was racially abused one time, was told Irish people are unevolved with ugly unrefined faces like monkeys

But that wan't racial abuse; merely an anthropological observation. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Not discriminated but when working in England the Brits are fond of “that a bit Irish”

Accounts wrong? Folder missing from the cabinet? Brand new coffee machine in the canteen banjaxed?

“That’s a bit Irish” they say

Wasn’t aimed at me but wtf?

Not to mention that making such a statement can result in one's own face suddenly losing its refinement.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Not discriminated but when working in England the Brits are fond of “that a bit Irish”

Accounts wrong? Folder missing from the cabinet? Brand new coffee machine in the canteen banjaxed?

One of my Dublin relatives used to say that!! I pulled her up on it EVERY time! Unbelievable bit of self-abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I used to have to fly to England for work regularly and you could randomly be stopped for when entering England to sign a sheet saying you weren't a terrorist. I was asked to sign the thing every week for 3 months by the same airport police guy and eventually complained as it wasn't random.

That was in the 90s. Couldn't go into the business lounge in the airport until 30 minutes before the flight as I was Irish and going on an Irish flight. The would let a work colleague go in as he was English even though it was the same flight.

Called "Paddy" and "Mick" aggressively and called variation of stupid for being Irish in London.

English guy mispronounced my name intentionally all the time. He was a very senior manager in a client's business. Was racist through and through but the company just ignored it.

Heard clients calling me a thick Paddy and going on about how I was late and couldn't possibly know how to fix heir problems being so young. The plane arrived late due to a fire in the English airport I was landing in and I fixed their problem in 10 minutes. Was delighted to hand the a £5k bill and leave in less an hour. Most of the time spent telling them how they caused the problem by changing the configurations and showing them who precisely did it. The particular guy who said I couldn't possibly fix the issue had done it.

So I would say yes I have been discriminated against for being Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

Discrimination no, Stereotyped all the time though. Drink is the joke normally, which falls flat on me as I don't drink! Mainly by Americans and Brits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

In America and particularly from airport staff, a lot of them seem to think Irish people are a funny race, as in backhanded little digs at us for drinking too much or our "funny" accents. Thing is, its said in a kind of subtle way like "Oh you are from Ireland, that's cute, honey this guy is from Ireland where the dancers and leprechauns are from". Its nothing but ignorance on their behalf, having been fed cliched and outdated portrayals of Irish people in American tv shows and news etc.
    I don't think they are deliberately trying to be discriminatory but it still comes across as such when you hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

EdgeCase wrote: »
    The main qualification for that seems to be a reference from the Russian Mafia and the mob.

JFK paved the way for that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Stereotypes and minor digs a few times. Sectarian abuse which was quite venomous. Two or three times in one day for wearing a top that in hindsight looked like a Celtic jersey.

But for the most part I find being Irish is well received and far outweighs the idiots and the ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

In America and particularly from airport staff, a lot of them seem to think Irish people are a funny race, as in backhanded little digs at us for drinking too much or our "funny" accents. Thing is, its said in a kind of subtle way like "Oh you are from Ireland, that's cute, honey this guy is from Ireland where the dancers and leprechauns are from". Its nothing but ignorance on their behalf, having been fed cliched and outdated portrayals of Irish people in American tv shows and news etc.
    I don't think they are deliberately trying to be discriminatory but it still comes across as such when you hear it.

Yeah in America that is definitely my experience. I was in Canada and I was serving a table and they all start making fun of my accent(South Dublin btw) and doing that stereotypical Irish accent. That was the only time I've ever felt uncomfortable. They think they can get away with it because they can trace one great grandparent back to Ireland, especially in the case of Canadians they all have some Irish lineage.

In Canada though, the Irish aren't really viewed as foreigners. I was told by so many people that they see us as being just like them. In the USA, Irish people are Europeans but in Canada they don't see it like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Was discriminated for being Irish by a badger once..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nitrogan wrote: »
    Yes, I remember 'no Irish' signs at BCM in Magaluf in the mid '90s and a generally hostile attitude to Irish people, maybe similar to what muslims get now. That was a dicey time being Irish among pissed up aggressive Brits.

I don't remember any of that, and I've been there a ton of times in the 90's. In fact I only met decent Brits out there.

I used to travel over to England a lot during the 80's and 90's and it was a regular occurance to get stopped and questioned under the Prevention of Terrorism Act. But they were never nasty about it, and tbh with the IRA campaign of terror on the British mainland I understood where it was coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Bredabe

As a youngster in the '70's it was hairy enough being in England, I met different attitudes in other parts of the UK.

I work a few months a year in London, other than ppl being nervous of me with all my bags on the tube from the airport/with my traditional Muslim colleagues. The biggest hassle I had pre brexit was to persuade other staff and clients that 'Irish citizens didn't mean Irish traveller exclusively'.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah this happened in Holland, Maastricht of all places for carnival about 6 or 7 of us. I'll never forget the welcome we got once they found out we weren't English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's becoming clear from the thread that anti Irish discrimination is largely a thing of the past. The targets for hate and discrimination nowadays appear to be the Americans and the English. The Spanish, The Dutch and The Aussies love telling The Irish how much they hate The English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It's becoming clear from the thread that anti Irish discrimination is largely a thing of the past. The targets for hate and discrimination nowadays appear to be the Americans and the English. The Spanish, The Dutch and The Aussies love telling The Irish how much they hate The English.

My uncle tells stories of hitch hiking near Calais in the Kate 1970s/early 80s. You would only get picked up if you held out your Irish passport. No stopping for blue passports...

• Advertisement

mikemac2 wrote: »

Yeh, hate that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sounds like none of you skowflakes know what discrimination means even, far less having experienced it.

Not getting a job /rental-property / access to a training course / healthcare / finance - that's discrimination.

Being repeatedly stopped and searched, asked to sign form etc - that's racial profiling.

Having your accent laughed at and told ethnic jokes as a once-off, that's just rude. If the same people keep doing it with the aim of making you feel bad, that's bullying. (And hell - most of you do it to people from Kerry all the time anyways.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Sounds like none of you skowflakes know what discrimination means even, far less having experienced it.

Not getting a job /rental-property / access to a training course / healthcare / finance - that's discrimination.

Being repeatedly stopped and searched, asked to sign form etc - that's racial profiling.

Having your accent laughed at and told ethnic jokes as a once-off, that's just rude. If the same people keep doing it with the aim of making you feel bad, that's bullying. (And hell - most of you do it to people from Kerry all the time anyways.)

Actually, have had all of those both in the UK and Ireland(both sides of the border) I just don't give it any headspace in case it manifests itself in my attitudes.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

RasTa wrote: »

Yeah this happened in Holland, Maastricht of all places for carnival about 6 or 7 of us. I'll never forget the welcome we got once they found out we weren't English.
    Had similar as a kid in The Hague. We got chased by a BMX gang calling us all sorts of names and threatening to beat us up until we told them we were Irish and then they wanted to be our friends. 

Have had a bit of it here in Malaysia. I worked for a predominately Muslim company and constantly had to put up with the owner telling me I wouldn't understand because I wasn't Muslim. Then she stepped over the mark for me by telling me I was wrong on something (a Chinese new year post that I had checked with my Chinese colleagues and they said it was perfect). Instead of saying that she didn't like the design or would prefer something else, she said it was offensive. When I explained it wasn't she dismissed my opinion with a "caucasian perspective" comment in the whatsapp group message. That was me done. 

Otherwise has been mostly positive with most people happy when they hear I am Irish and lets just say am batein Indian men away from me with a stick....well I let some of them woo me but....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

My Netherlands experiences were very different from previous posters. I lived in America, a little southern Dutch town, near the German border. This was in ‘95. We were the scum of Europe as far as the natives were concerned. I worked one full week in a leek farm. Physical and hot work. Went to get my pay on the Friday and was laughed at, told to Feck off basically. I said I would go to the police and the farmer laughed harder, told me the chief was his cousin, turned out to be true. This all happened when they found out I was Irish. That was just one example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Yes - a place I worked for a few years. This was in Ireland
    Plenty of jabs at me for being Irish.
    Some of the insults were probably researched - historical stuff, I'm sure you can imagine.

I wasn't confident reporting it as, well - you know why.

You never come across well.

Your Face wrote: »
    Yes - a place I worked for a few years. This was in Ireland
    Plenty of jabs at me for being Irish.
    Some of the insults were probably researched - historical stuff, I'm sure you can imagine.

I wasn't confident reporting it as, well - you know why.

You definitely need to explain this

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

Was discriminated against by a bogger BMX gang for being from Dublin. They were all carrying large chips on their shoulders and whining incessantly and making smug comments and subtle put downs because all boggers have low IQs and are deformed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Had some black lads giving out to me in the US because I was white.

I told them I'm Irish and apparently that made everything ok.

Judging by last few posts BMX is the preferred mode of transport for the discrimating types.

Good lesson.

kuntboy wrote: »
    Was discriminated against by a bogger BMX gang for being from Dublin. They were all carrying large chips on their shoulders and whining incessantly and making smug comments and subtle put downs because all boggers have low IQs and are deformed.

Did you say that deformed thing first though?

Also what is a bmx gang and how did they discriminate against you?

Witchie wrote: »
    Had similar as a kid in The Hague. We got chased by a BMX gang calling us all sorts of names and threatening to beat us up until we told them we were Irish and then they wanted to be our friends. 

Have had a bit of it here in Malaysia. I worked for a predominately Muslim company and constantly had to put up with the owner telling me I wouldn't understand because I wasn't Muslim. Then she stepped over the mark for me by telling me I was wrong on something (a Chinese new year post that I had checked with my Chinese colleagues and they said it was perfect). Instead of saying that she didn't like the design or would prefer something else, she said it was offensive. When I explained it wasn't she dismissed my opinion with a "caucasian perspective" comment in the whatsapp group message. That was me done. 

Otherwise has been mostly positive with most people happy when they hear I am Irish and lets just say am batein Indian men away from me with a stick....well I let some of them woo me but....

The use of causcasian indicates a US influence there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

kuntboy wrote: »

I'd love to know the chippers that gives you a large chips so heavy you need to carry it on your shoulder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Collie D wrote: »
    You definitely need to explain this

If you have a question - just ask?

• Advertisement
Advertisement