Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is biomedical science like in UCD?

Options
  • 25-08-2018 10:26am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15

I'm thinking of choosing the course next year and I see the points are high (560) so I'm looking to see if anyone is doing the course and what it's like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

I'm graduating from the BHLS course next Thursday! Its a good course, but it depends on your interests. About >50-60% of the course will leave in the first 3 years to pursue medical degrees, and the remainder will mainly be people hoping to go on to do graduate entry medicine. You also take modules with the med students. This is mainly why the points are so high, as many people hoping for medicine put it down as a "back up" course.
    I didn't want to do medicine, and I still don't (starting a PhD in a few weeks) - and to be honest, if I could go back I'd have picked General Science and specialized into neuroscience/genetics - a lot of the course is very pharmacology heavy, and if you dont have an interest in that, you will find the course a bit tedious, especially 3rd year. Theres not many courses that cover neuroscience/genetics/biochemistry , so if those sorts of science interest you, id recommend doing Gen Science.
    The workload is no more than that of other science students, although first year was a bit tougher in my opinion. Hours wise its very manageable (cant remember exact hours), and in the later years of the degree the classes are typically very small and shared with the pharmacology students from the Gen Science course.
    If you have any specific questions, let me know!

Advertisement