Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is overseas travel overrated?

• 25-08-2018 12:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15

You might remark "If you want to be an ignorant fool. You have to step outside your country to appreciate things" but in may cases, I think it is. I didn't have money to travel this summer but I always thought about Gates and how he said he never took a day off in his twenties. bet that money saved up led to him being a billionaire.

point half-aside, Holidays are probably only great if you have the money for them and plan well. I've realized this all to well when travelling with not so nice family members. No point in going to Nice, Berlin, Amsterdam without money and a lack of plans when you can go somewhere small in the country on your budget and have a memorable experience.

It's probably even better to work travel even again to a not so glamorous city but a different culture.

I think for me as a young person, I'll call of travel until I buy the ticket to leave Ireland for good. Another non-related reason is that I like my codeine, valium, alcohol, and antihistamines. I stock up on these so with all the anti terrorist/drug smuggling B.S. after 9/11, I don't want the hassle of American or Australian border agents questioning "Sir, are you trying to import a controlled subtance across an international border". **** off mate..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Don't think 'gates had a codeine habit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

You might remark "If you want to be an ignorant fool. You have to step outside your country to appreciate things" but in may cases, I think it is. I didn't have money to travel this summer but I always thought about Gates and how he said he never took a day off in his twenties. bet that money saved up led to him being a billionaire.

point half-aside, Holidays are probably only great if you have the money for them and plan well. I've realized this all to well when travelling with not so nice family members. No point in going to Nice, Berlin, Amsterdam without money and a lack of plans when you can go somewhere small in the country on your budget and have a memorable experience.

It's probably even better to work travel even again to a not so glamorous city but a different culture.

I think for me as a young person, I'll call of travel until I buy the ticket to leave Ireland for good. Another non-related reason is that I like my codeine, valium, alcohol, and antihistamines. I stock up on these so with all the anti terrorist/drug smuggling B.S. after 9/11, I don't want the hassle of American or Australian border agents questioning "Sir, are you trying to import a controlled subtance across an international border". **** off mate..

Isnt that what they are supposed to do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 spotifiedman

Don't think 'gates had a codeine habit

He probably has an Oxy or Vicodin habit now..but that's probably buried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I didn't have money to travel this summer but I always thought about Gates and how he said he never took a day off in his twenties. bet that money saved up led to him being a billionaire.

I think old Billo had a few more things going for him beyond thrifty holiday expenditure habits tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ive seen a lot of the world. Highly recommend travel. Broaden your mind, increase your knowledge.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Travel overseas is not over rated but you do need some money to do it.
    I don’t think you need to plan too much though. I have often booked a trip on a Friday afternoon to a random place and travelled there that evening. You need a good sense of adventure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I only travel so I can boast about how open-minded I am for visiting a peasants shack in whatever 3rd world country is fashionable at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think it's for some people and not for others.
    Some people who are into travelling just can't accept it's not for everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Ive seen a lot of the world. Highly recommend travel. Broaden your mind, increase your knowledge.

And I'd think travel for work can also achieve some of that ... plus it might have the advantage that you're not paying for it all.
    (unfortunately I didn't have work travels in last ** years, but know plenty of ppl who did)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Being overseas is usually great. Travelling to get there on the other hand...

Throw that out
    Take that off
    Stand here
    Let me touch you there

Airports are a pain in the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭claiomh solais

Travel is overrated in my opinion. I get the impression from some it's just a way to spend money and give yourself interesting stories for parties. Many of the 'world travellers' I know personally grew up quite rich.

But saying that, it's still important. Taking breaks is a good thing and none of us are Bill Gates. When I'm working long hours or tired, I think back to things like my holidays and how much fun I had and how relaxed I was and I start to feel relaxed.

Go to somewhere like Croatia in the sun and you'll have a great time. It's very affordable and it's great for mental health and reducing stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Collie D wrote: »

Throw that out
    Take that off
    Stand here
    Let me touch you there

I love travelling. Been out of Ireland 5 times so far this year.
    Airports are all the same no matter where you go. Once you follow the simple rules you breeze through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

So you can’t afford it and it’s too much hassle travel long with your dripugs of choice. What has that go to do with traveling being overrated or not?

I think if you're from a country the size of the US, you can get away with saying overseas travel is overrated.

Being from Ireland, I do think most Irish people would benefit from a few months living outside of Ireland/UK (or the Spanish Islands).

As for traveling, I've never enjoyed it... but I love living abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Depends.

Travel can broaden your horizons and other nebulous things.

Unless you're going to Sydney for a year to spend your time in Irish bars wearing your county colours talking about home. I'm not so sure there's a great benefit in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I love travelling. Been out of Ireland 5 times so far this year.
    Airports are all the same no matter where you go. Once you follow the simple rules you breeze through.

Oh, I know the rules and am always prepared. I'm the guy you want to be behind in the security queue. I just find it a pain in the arse. Security in Dublin are always excellent - efficient and friendly - but some others seem to base their bonuses on being miserable.

I know it's necessary, just wanted a rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

It's a bit over-rated but tbh I do feel like a least one holiday a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

A little bit.
    Some of the greatest adventures of my life happened in Ireland.
    Don't really feel the need to go backpacking around South America to have interesting stories.

Travel is great if you want to see a place or experience a different culture, but most of the well travelled people I know just come back with drinking stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Travelling is underrated if anything. Nothing better than landing in a new place and soaking it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

sugarman wrote: »
    In more cases than not, its cheaper to go abroad for a few days than it is to holiday in Ireland.

Recently I flew into Prague, stayed there for 3 days.. took a train to Berlin and stayed there for a further 3 days. Total cost all in? Flights, trains/buses, accommodation, eating out / spending money. €200.

Going to somewhere like Galway or Cork for a few days well exceeds that. Itd barley cover your travel and accommodation. Nevermind eating out ..and you can forget about any paid activities.

Some of the best craic and best moments in life have come from going on budget holidays to random places with absolutely no plans.

It's cheaper for 4 lads to fly to Portugal and go to the Alive festival, flights accommodation car and tickets, than to go to Electric Picnic in Laois.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

How is Steve Jobs enjoying his millions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Travel isn't overrated, it's a great way to get a bit of perspective of the world. It's cheaper than ever too. You get to anywhere in the US or Asia for less than €650 with minial forward planning.

What is overrated, is going to a popular spot (fine) and queuing for half an hour just to take the same photo as everyone else on Instagram.
    In more cases than not, its cheaper to go abroad for a few days than it is to holiday in Ireland.

Recently I flew into Prague, stayed there for 3 days.. took a train to Berlin and stayed there for a further 3 days. Total cost all in? Flights, trains/buses, accommodation, eating out / spending money. €200.

I agree with the sentiment entirely, it can certainly be cheaper to leave the country, but I would love too see the breakdown of that €200. Even in the cheapest of hostels, that's very difficult to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Collie D wrote: »

Throw that out
    Take that off
    Stand here
    Let me touch you there

I don't think they're supposed to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭FrToddUnctious

Christ almighty did you just stay in your room and stare at the wall?

When I go on holidays I like to have a good time, I'm OK with spending money, that's why I work and save, don't be such a tight arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

last encounter trying to leave country i found it was like cattle herd bags seized checked x rayd couple times wtf, came back got selfie taken but 0 customs might as well be carrying bag of smokes :pac: :cool: makes no sense, in terms of security.

as for travel itself it depends staying in country and visiting some interesting sites for weekend and hitting a pub = same as plonking on sun in Spain for a week doing f all, at the end holidays is nice until you have cash, once that runs out its back to usual.

Some can enjoy outdoors and camping for weekend others need a bit of sun and get stupid drunk, rarely youll see someone going to explore towns cities nowadays, as its not really holidays if you cant get away your brains from thinking about being back to work for most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Ive travelled a bit - would liked to have done more before family mortgage etc. A year on an Erasmus programme in Germany influenced me heavily and framed a lot of my thinking. I’m going to New Zealand at Christmas - few days in Hong Kong on the way. Can’t wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Your Face wrote: »
    I only travel so I can boast about how open-minded I am for visiting a peasants shack in whatever 3rd world country is fashionable at the moment.

Did you stay at my mate's place in the wildsnear Kandy, Sri Lanka too? It taught me that just coz am a spoiled princess biatch am no happier than my friend's sister who has nothing.

Travel. You appreciate what you have when you see how others live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Ive travelled a bit - would liked to have done more before family mortgage etc. A year on an Erasmus programme in Germany influenced me heavily and framed a lot of my thinking. I’m going to New Zealand at Christmas - few days in Hong Kong on the way. Can’t wait.

Hopefully you can get some more travel in when you are out the other side of the parenting lark. I started my exploration of Asia and ended up living in Kuala Lumpur after my youngest started University

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Personally, the travels abroad that I would these days think were the most interesting and the ones that influenced my view of the world the most were the ones I did when I was a student and had nearly no money at all.
    Backpack and youth hostels, that's how I met the most interesting people and had the most enlightening chats.

I don't travel that much any more, and I do feel that now I have the money to spend, there's more of a barrier between me and the people in the place I do travel to.

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    I don't travel that much any more, and I do feel that now I have the money to spend, there's more of a barrier between me and the people in the place I do travel to.

Really? I haven't found that... at least, the difference is more to do with age/maturity rather than money. I'm just not interested in nightclubs, beach parties, drugs etc anymore which means I'm not associating with that kind of crowd. I still do cities, so I tend to meet people of similar ages with professional backgrounds (who also are educated enough to speak English, or understand my Chinese). Admittedly, my travels are nowadays firmly fixed on Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It's great if you want to do it and not great if.you don't. Nothing worse than a **** who thinks everyone 'simply must' though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Really? I haven't found that... at least, the difference is more to do with age/maturity rather than money. I'm just not interested in nightclubs, beach parties, drugs etc anymore which means I'm not associating with that kind of crowd. I still do cities, so I tend to meet people of similar ages with professional backgrounds (who also are educated enough to speak English, or understand my Chinese). Admittedly, my travels are nowadays firmly fixed on Asia.

I never used to do nightclubs and beach parties, that would always have been my personal idea of hell ;)

But I find with staying in hotels not hostels (my lazy nature makes me choose comfort where possible) and being able to afford the official guided tours and all that, there's just fewer interaction with locals or even other travelers. And where there are any, they're far more reserved, people tend to be more respectful to me than they would have been when I was a young 'un, and that creates distance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Quiet the contrary, was barley in the room ..and I had an absolutely brilliant time! I didnt go with a budget in mind, I went on a no frills lads holiday for a bit of a piss up and some sight seeing. What I spent is what I spent! ...I didnt go on the last day 'Ah sure.. ive only spent €200, better find something to lash another €200 on'..

A quick break down...

Flights were €35 return.
    Hostel in Prague was €15 for 3 nights.
    Hostel in Berlin was €30 for 2 nights. (Was 5 nights total not 6 as I said)
    Train from Prague to Berlin €18.

The rest was spend on food, drinks and attractions.

Off top my head, things I did whilst there...

Prague:
    - Sparta Prague football match - €7
    - Guided walking tour around the Old Town, Charles Bridge etc.. Tip
    - Went see Child of Prague - Free
    - Climbed the Castle - Free
    - Organized pub crawl - Free / whatever you spend on drink (€1.50 a pint btw)

Berlin:
    - Guided walking tour around the Brandenburg, Reichstag, Tiergarden etc.. Tip
    - Jewish memorial / Museum - €3
    - Topography of Terror Museum - Free
    - Checkpoint Charlie - Free
    - Walk the Berlin Wall - Free
    - Olympic stadium Tour €8
    - Berlin TV tower - €10

...probably a few other things I forget as most nights were a piss up!
    Germany is a great bargain holiday did two weeks a few years ago for €500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I love traveling myself.

It opens your eyes to the world and the difference between every country.

In the past year I have been to the US and Russia. But a strange and crazy countrys. People from both country's never speak down about there own country. People from the US think the US is the best country in the world whole the same about Russia.

It's just some people in Ireland love putting there country down to people. Yes we are a small island but its one of the niceist places you can go to on a holiday and I see why people love coming here. People are friendly, great food drink night life, a very safe country the list is endless) endless.

You have to tavel to realise that the world is a fantastic place and we have a short time here so we might try and enjoy it.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I never used to do nightclubs and beach parties, that would always have been my personal idea of hell ;)

But I find with staying in hotels not hostels (my lazy nature makes me choose comfort where possible) and being able to afford the official guided tours and all that, there's just fewer interaction with locals or even other travelers. And where there are any, they're far more reserved, people tend to be more respectful to me than they would have been when I was a young 'un, and that creates distance.

Haha... Hostels were never my kind of place, although I did experience them in Oz for a while. Enough to know they're not for me.

Hotel bars are often a good way to meet people, although it really depends on the hotel, and alas, it's more often than not, populated by escorts. I do get what you're saying though. Still, i think it depends on the destination.

I found places in the west to be more difficult to meet people, whereas in Asia or Eastern Europe, were really easy to meet random people in the street, in restaurants, etc. There seems to be more of a privacy bubble in western destinations. I also think the language difficulties tend to encourage people to try to help you out, and that provides an intro. Spending some time in a cafe remains the best place for me to meet new people, especially if there's an outdoor area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I take 2-3 trips a year now.

Sightseeing, walking, hiking, cycling, kayaking, road trips.

There will come a time when I physically CANT do these things and I will remember what it felt like .....first sighting of the lost city of Petra, to hike to the top Angels landing, to visit Alcatraz, to cycle around Chiang Mai through the paddy fields and villages, to kayak around Halong Bay, to experience the War Museum in Ho Chi Min (very moving) to swim in the dead sea, to walk over a misty Golden Gate Bridge, to snorkel near Whitehaven Bay.

It felt like I was alive.

Since my Dad was diagnosed with dementia, I've realised that in time, all you are left with are memories and sometimes not even they remain.

If you don't want to travel then don't, but if you do, enjoy and appreciate every single SECOND.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I don't think they're supposed to do that.

Unless you have some extra baggage up there.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I tend to find holidays stressful, I guess it's something about being knocked out of my comfort zone. I don't think I'd bother going anywhere if people didn't always go on about it. Having said that I don't regret seeing any place that I have been too.

I do especially find the business of travelling aggrevating, "when's the next time and place where I'll get the chance to take a peaceful contemplative crap?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Proper travel is probably the number one thing most people can do in their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

Patww79 wrote: »
    It's great if you want to do it and not great if.you don't. Nothing worse than a **** who thinks everyone 'simply must' though.

The worst kind of people to listen to.
    I still packback on my hols, enjoyable for a few days but I need a night or 2 in a hotel by myself..only so much of hostels you can do..I'm 50 so not cool or hip...I never was !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

Haha... Hostels were never my kind of place, although I did experience them in Oz for a while. Enough to know they're not for me.

Hotel bars are often a good way to meet people, although it really depends on the hotel, and alas, it's more often than not, populated by escorts. I do get what you're saying though. Still, i think it depends on the destination.

I found places in the west to be more difficult to meet people, whereas in Asia or Eastern Europe, were really easy to meet random people in the street, in restaurants, etc. There seems to be more of a privacy bubble in western destinations. I also think the language difficulties tend to encourage people to try to help you out, and that provides an intro. Spending some time in a cafe remains the best place for me to meet new people, especially if there's an outdoor area.
    And people watch..A very important part of travelling, esp in Eastern Europe..call me sexist but the local females are stunning...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Depends.

Travel can broaden your horizons and other nebulous things.

Unless you're going to Sydney for a year to spend your time in Irish bars wearing your county colours talking about home. I'm not so sure there's a great benefit in that.
    Don't knock it, anything that reduces the amount of morons in this country even temporarily is no bad thing.

4Ad wrote: »
    And people watch..A very important part of travelling, esp in Eastern Europe..call me sexist but the local females are stunning...

Nothing sexist about it. The local females do tend to be stunning.

I was in Dublin recently with a Spanish friend, and he spent the whole time remarking how many good looking Irish women there were. I didn't see it myself, but he certainly did. Had a similar experience in Tokyo with a Chinese friend who was amazed I found so many of the local women gorgeous. Many of us just prefer women not from our own country. I certainly do. Nothing sexist about that... just a natural/personal preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Another week or two and we can listen to the third level students taking ****e about their summer trips and then their whining about how easy it is to get accommodation in Staten Island or Greenwich village for half the cost in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Travel overseas is not over rated but you do need some money to do it.
    I don’t think you need to plan too much though.
    It can be expensive if you don't plan it. Planning it in advance can get you some very good deals, and allow you to stay in the cheap hostels. Now, some places are cheap regardless, but other places the transport is often the most expensive part. Get a cheap flight, and the money saved could pay for your accommodation.

For example; I'm in Toronto. It'll cost me CAD$400 for a one way ticket to Ireland in late September (visa has ran out), but have seen round trips to France for CAD$355, or Costa Rica for CAD$328

=-=

If I'm going abroad, I'd like to visit some cultural things, as opposed to getting sh|tfaced; I can do that at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wouldn't say overseas travel is over-rated, I love it but its ruined by having to use airports to get there!

Hateful places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I love traveling abroad and try to go on an international trip and a domestic trip once a year. I went to Hawaii this past spring and am going to Spain, Morocco and Portugal in November. My trips are the highlights of my year and I spend the time in between looking forward to them. I have friends who don't like traveling though. Some just don't like airplanes, but others just don't think it's worth the expense. One friend went on his first trip abroad this summer to Norway, where he did a lot of hiking and mountain climbing. He said it wasn't worth the expense, which kind of blew me away because I love Norway. But to each their own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He said it wasn't worth the expense, which kind of blew me away because I love Norway. But to each their own!
    Did he go package, or book everything himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

the_syco wrote: »
    Did he go package, or book everything himself?

He booked his own stuff. He was on a tight budget, so he basically just had a flight & airbnb and winged it from there. I think had he added in just a few excursions, he may have had a better time. Winging it sounds romantic, but if you're not an experience traveler, you can miss a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I have lived abroad twice in 2 different country's. it really made me appreciate ireland and the people here more.
    We have great people in this country. The best in my opinion .the only thing i hate is the weather but not this year : )

• Advertisement
Advertisement