Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MTB upgrade/refresh tips

• 25-08-2018 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

I'm usually a denizen of the road but my Dad has an old Trek MTB that I'm thinking about sprucing up and taking out on a few trails over the winter.

It's a Trek 8000LT from around 2000 (I think). Just wondering if you guys might have some advise on what to do to make it trailworthy, or if it's worth it at all.

I was initially thinking of new tyres and tubes, probably a shorter stem as well.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Miklos wrote: »
    I'm usually a denizen of the road but my Dad has an old Trek MTB that I'm thinking about sprucing up and taking out on a few trails over the winter.

It's a Trek 8000LT from around 2000 (I think). Just wondering if you guys might have some advise on what to do to make it trailworthy, or if it's worth it at all.

I was initially thinking of new tyres and tubes, probably a shorter stem as well.

Cheers!

I'd be looking at picking up a 2nd hand hardtail to be honest. I wouldn't go riding modern mtb trails on that bike. No offence meant but mtb was a whole different sport back in 2000.

If budget is an issue then yeah shorter stem, wider bars after that tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I agree with xxyyzz, try to find a second hand bike.

B-Twin Rockrider, would be fine starting out, and only 175.

https://www.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/bike-excellent-condition/16133747

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

They are a great bike. Xt rear mech and hydraulic brakes. Loose the stem, ****ty tyres and spongy seat post, get new cables new pads and ride it.

Watch out for a cheap 26er air fork and it would compete it.

They are a great bike. Xt rear mech and hydraulic brakes. Loose the stem and spongy seat post, get new cables new pads and watch out for a cheap 26er air fork and it would zip around ballinastoe ot similar.

It would, but with the investment put into it you'd get a 29er second hand that you can just sit on and ride.

There's no reason for saving that bike other than for novelty reasons, in my opinion.

rizzodun wrote: »
    It would, but with the investment put into it you'd get a 29er second hand that you can just sit on and ride.

There's no reason for saving that bike other than for novelty reasons, in my opinion.

A 29r for the cost of tyres pads cables stem and seat post would be a absolute gate . Those treks are super quick xc bikes.

• Advertisement

A 29r for the cost of tyres pads cables stem and seat post would be a absolute gate . Those treks are super quick xc bikes.

Plus a fork, that fork is most likely shagged.

It really does depend on what you have in mind Miklos, put a few upgrades on the trek and it will happily get you around any trail centre like Ballyhoura etc, they are pretty tame trails. If you fancy a bit more proper mtb I'd invest in a nice user friendly trail hardtail like a whyte 901/905, nukeproof scout or a Vitus Sentier. There is a good article here on budget hardtails https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/mbr-hardtail-of-the-year-sneak-preview-video

The new breed of trail hardtails have modern long slack geometry which makes them more forgiving on technical trails and better for starting out. You will lose out on the climbing a little over a cross country hardtail but they are a lot more fun to ride. Personally I would avoid starting out on an xc bike like the plague. Traditionally this was the right of passage, start out on an XC hardtail with the saddle stuck up your arse and a head angle so steep it would cause you to go over the bars if you went off a kerb. Trail bikes have evolved a long way since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Can't wait to see how that turbo tyre performs on trail!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'd have to agree with the experienced opinions here, I wouldn't invest much in that bike, the technology has advanced at an incredible rate over the last few years, modern hard tails are beasts in comparison, I know a chap that regularly rides trails truly designed for enduros on a modern hard tail, not a bother on him. I wouldn't really bring that bike beyond fire roads, I suspect, even entry level trails such as ballyhoura could be a handful on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys. Weighing it all up I probably won’t bother investing in it.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with the experienced opinions here, I wouldn't invest much in that bike, the technology has advanced at an incredible rate over the last few years, modern hard tails are beasts in comparison, I know a chap that regularly rides trails truly designed for enduros on a modern hard tail, not a bother on him. I wouldn't really bring that bike beyond fire roads, I suspect, even entry level trails such as ballyhoura could be a handful on it

I don't know guys, i still have better lap times from bstoe & ballyh on a 27 speed trek hardtail from the mid 00's (laps done in 2016)

All relative to op budget and intended use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

I don't know guys, i still have better lap times from bstoe & ballyh on a 27 speed trek hardtail from the mid 00's (laps done in 2016)

All relative to op budget and intended use.

Exactly this - I've the same bike as OP, except with v-brakes :D. I've upgraded it a lot over the years, picking up decent components cheaply and 2nd hand or using spares. I'm about 2 minutes faster on it around Ballinastoe than on my Giant Anthem. LSD in the dark can be a bit of an experience though!

As the other lads said, if you think that you'll get into MTB more and be riding some technical stuff, save your money for something more applicable - you could spend a fair chunk getting the Trek up to spec if you can't wait around for deals on parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I'd be looking at picking up a 2nd hand hardtail to be honest. I wouldn't go riding modern mtb trails on that bike. No offence meant but mtb was a whole different sport back in 2000.

Ballinastoe is significantly easier now than it was in 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Ballinastoe is significantly easier now than it was in 2000.

In terms of MTB trails its now the equivalent of a motorway! But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Plenty of choice depending on skill level these days.

To be honest I wouldn't consider irish trail centres to be representative of modern mountainbiking. They are sanitised to cater to people who have never ridden a mtb before. The climbing is the only real challenge they pose to newcomers. I mentioned earlier that the trek would happily get him around a trail centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

xxyyzz wrote: »
    To be honest I wouldn't consider irish trail centres to be representative of modern mountainbiking. They are sanitised to cater to people who have never ridden a mtb before. The climbing is the only real challenge they pose to newcomers. I mentioned earlier that the trek would happily get him around a trail centre.

Bit harsh. I've been out on beginner spins recently and some of the features can seem intimidating at first. The climbing wasn't a problem. Still plenty to learn from those trails and we all have to start somewhere. The new sections in Ticknock are great fun no matter what level you're at.

Modern bikes are the main reason mountain biking is easier now. Can get away with clattering down plenty of trails on a decent full sus without much skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭JonDoe

Miklos wrote: »

Cheers!

Retro MTB is a niche market, if the components will clean up well, then break the bike up, clean everything well and list on ebay in buy it now auctions. For the frame, forks and wheels you'll need to use a cheap courier service, parcel2go.com is the cheapest I've found. Your main market will be the UK so include in your listing. I'm a fan of steel 29er hard tails Reynolds 520,725 or Tange, sizing is crucial to your fun.

Advertisement