Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE's coverage of the pope's visit

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Very poor turnout, where's the other 370,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

I'm amazed there is even that given the weather and crimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Any reference to the crowd size on RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Very poor turnout, where's the other 370,000?

I believe the tickets didn't even sell out so there were never 500,000 expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

Plenty of near empty paddocks at the start. Reminds me of Trump's inauguration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

GarIT wrote:
    I believe the tickets didn't even sell out so there were never 500,000 expected.

They've been trying to manage expectations gently, but the turnout is far lower than their worst expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

There's nora casey!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Many empty seats in Croke Park last night,definitely not 45,000 in Knock this morning and a figure of 130,000 being quoted for the Phoenix Park.I don't know what size the crowds were at the events in the RDS,but a lot of reflection to be done when it is all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Tzardine wrote: »
    Posters and banners were prohibited.

Buzz-killingtons.
    Down with this sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

The aerial photos make the place look empty. You would get more people at bloom.

Totally overhyped. Fair play to Leo though for a great speech.

• Advertisement

We have the crowd spin man on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Tzardine wrote: »
    Less than 130,000 being reported by Gardai, based on entry at gates.

More like 30,000 so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Fr. sean Spicer has just said 500000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

He didnt update his figures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Didn't a load of hippies snap up tickets to stop people going? Between that and the weather I don't know how people could expect it to be full.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Didn't a load of hippies snap up tickets to stop people going? Between that and the weather I don't know how people could expect it to be full.

The hippies made no difference- you couldnt give away tickets this week

Rome home match- clever pope

Try_harder wrote: »

I hadn't paid much attention so wasn't sure how big the campaign had got. Have RTE given the protests much air?

Did Ed Sheerin pull bigger numbers?

That's not true . I know loads of people who were giving away tickets this week. The facts speak for themselves thousands were no shows.

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »
    That's not true . I know loads of people who were giving away tickets this week. The facts speak for themselves thousands were no shows.

Are we not saying the same thing?

Playing it safe announcing Rome for 2021.

Are we not saying the same thing?

Sorry I read your message wrong! I thought you said no one was giving them away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Much more women than men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jeepers they really shouldn't show those aerial shots of the mass site..... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Hippies!? More like evil anti Catholic anti Christian scumbags...
    With similar hatred akin to the hatred shown by Isis towards Christians!?
    Ireland has shown the World in a mere 2 days that this Country is strong and getting stronger in it's Catholic Christian faith.
    Amen.

Much more women than men.

and men are supposed to be the stupid ones these days. hmmmm

and men are supposed to be the stupid ones these days. hmmmm

I presume anyone that wanted to go went and anyone who didn't want to go didn't.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Rome home match- clever pope

Too right he must be knackered, he’s an old man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I wonder will there be official figures released?

Every ticket was scanned on entry so they know exactly how many were there,probably be too embarrassed to say .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

After Rome, reckon visits like this will be to third world countries.

Anyhoo mass and Catholicism not for me but some lovely singing and RTÉ did well, country looked good even with the rain over the two days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

yabadabado wrote: »
    You didn't really, I got the train 6.00am this morning to Claremorris .Free shuttle bus to Knock left within 10 minutes walk to Church ,inside at my area at 9am.

Imagine. That was good going. Proves that using public transport really was the best advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Hippies!? More like evil anti Catholic anti Christian scumbags... With similar hatred akin to the hatred shown by Isis towards Christians!? Ireland has shown the World in a mere 2 days that this Country is strong and getting stronger in it's Catholic Christian faith. Amen.

What are you smoking?

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    What are you smoking?

tickets ?

Who's the commentator with Aine Lawlor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Jeepers they really shouldn't show those aerial shots of the mass site..... :eek:

A lot of people started leaving after communion. My friend and her family are there and they left at communion and are still queueing to get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Who's the commentator with Aine Lawlor?

He sounds like he is crying every so often..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Are people nicking the flowers now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

splinter65 wrote: »
    A lot of people started leaving after communion. My friend and her family are there and they left at communion and are still queueing to get out.

Something's never change. Was there many standing down the back if the church?

splinter65 wrote: »

queuing for what, there was nobody there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Hippies!? More like evil anti Catholic anti Christian scumbags...
    With similar hatred akin to the hatred shown by Isis towards Christians!?
    Ireland has shown the World in a mere 2 days that this Country is strong and getting stronger in it's Catholic Christian faith.
    Amen.

Strong and getting stronger my ar*e. 1.25 million out of a population of less than three million turned out in 1979. I'd say there wasn't 200,000 there today out of a population of over 4.5 million. The church is dead in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Are people claiming that there was an organised campaign to pick up a load of tickets with the intention of not attending and thus sabotaging the event? That seems a little far-fetched!

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Strong and getting stronger my ar*e. 1.25 million out of a population of less than three million turned out in 1979. I'd say there wasn't 200,000 there today out of a population of over 4.5 million. The church is dead in Ireland.

In total, they estimate that 2.7 million out of a population of 3.36 million went to see John Paul during his entire visit in 1979. Things have changed alright!

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Are people claiming that there was an organised campaign to pick up a load of tickets with the intention of not attending and thus sabotaging the event? That seems a little far-fetched!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/we-might-burn-them-popes-phoenix-park-visit-sees-protesters-book-hundreds-of-tickets-they-wont-use-37051741.html

People on my facebook were doing it and pleading on their news feeds for others to do it. I don't know how big a campaign it was though, the people in question would be fairly militant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I think it is safe to guess this will be the final pope to visit Ireland?

People on my facebook were doing it and pleading on their news feeds for others to do it. I don't know how big a campaign it was though, the people in question would be fairly militant.

I'm sure a few tried, but no way did 370,000 of them pull off a stunt like that!

I'm sure a few tried, but no way did 370,000 of them pull off a stunt like that!

I fail to see the reason to celebrate it anyway. It's not for me, but I'm glad anyone that wanted to go got to go.

I fail to see the reason to celebrate it anyway. It's not for me, but I'm glad anyone that wanted to go got to go.

Absolutely. Not for me either, but live and let live. Trying to sabotage it seems petty and childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

mloc123 wrote: »
    I think it is safe to guess this will be the final pope to visit Ireland?
    Might not be the last but I imagine the next popes visit will be a lot more low key and probably more like any other head off state visit and probably more political in nature...it definitely won’t be 3 big public events like this one.
    They could have in reality left out the mass today and did a slightly bigger event in knock.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement