Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE's coverage of the pope's visit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Try_harder wrote: »
    Vatican pushing the 300,000 number

Not surprising, they gotta try and save face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    RTE just showed a man saying the Pope went too far in his apology . Why was this eejit given airtime on a day when the abused are watching and feeling better because they were recognised . Yet this man is featured and given airtime
    If he thinks the apology went too far then try telling that to 700 babies in a Tuam sewer

RTE have a duty to air a breath of opinions tbf- I cant see too many agreeing with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

RTE have a duty to air a breath of opinions tbf- I cant see too many agreeing with him

I understand opinion but so many victims didn't need to hear it today of all days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I thought I heard someone on RTE I think that the OPW ( No, I don't know why or how either) would have official numbers in due course.

I understand opinion but so many victims didn't need to hear it today of all days

It wasnt during the actual coverage tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It wasnt during the actual coverage tbf.

No it was on the News

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭redshoes15

Thought the coverage was great to be fair to RTE. Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Was quite humbled by some of the reactions people had to either being in the pope’s presence or just laying eyes on him. Highlight for me, Croke Park and the young girl taking the selfie. Fantastic reaction from the pope and the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Trasna1 wrote: »
    No tickets were scanned. Tickets were purely for crowd control

Tickets scanned in Knock. I presumed the park would have been the same ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Vatican pushing the 300,000 number

RTE glossed over this- saying anything from 150 to 300 k people estimated in the crowd. I smell BS, how could an estimate vary in the order of 100%?!

RTE just showed a man saying the Pope went too far in his apology . Why was this eejit given airtime on a day when the abused are watching and feeling better because they were recognised . Yet this man is featured and given airtime
    If he thinks the apology went too far then try telling that to 700 babies in a Tuam sewer

The likes of him are exactly why there was fcuk all there today. The likes of these fundamentalists are actually way worse than the RCC itself for me.

• Advertisement

bobbyss wrote: »
    I thought I heard someone on RTE I think that the OPW ( No, I don't know why or how either) would have official numbers in due course.

They won't be in any rush with that one! If it had been in any a very large figure I've no doubt they'd be shouting it from the rooftops now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

queuing for what, there was nobody there

She says there was around 250000. We live in a small town that regularly has big crowds for sports matches so we are good at estimating crowds.
    Queueing to get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The turnout was good considering the weather. What other world figure would attract those numbers in similar conditions?

RTE coverage was pretty good overall. Looks like the visit will go down as a successful one despite the best efforts of the critics. No wonder they're pissed off.

"That giant gathering of people wasn't as gigantic as many said it would be."

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭chooey

yabadabado wrote: »
    I wonder will there be official figures released?

Every ticket was scanned on entry so they know exactly how many were there,probably be too embarrassed to say .

I didn’t see one ticket being scanned today, ours certainly weren’t. On the ground, it looked absolutely jammed. I would have thought maybe 250k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

The turnout was good considering the weather. What other world figure would attract those numbers in similar conditions?

What conditions? Bit of drizzle? Are people's faith that tenuous?

Garth Brooks would have sold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

RTE coverage was pretty good overall. Looks like the visit will go down as a successful one despite the best efforts of the critics. No wonder they're pissed off.

"That giant gathering of people wasn't as gigantic as many said it would be."

:pac:

Just out of interest what metrics do you use to determine the successfulness of the visit? Because turnout clearly isn't one of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd say there'll be some session in D4 tonight, lots of great work done by a lot of people over the 2 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

chooey wrote: »
    I didn’t see one ticket being scanned today, ours certainly weren’t. On the ground, it looked absolutely jammed. I would have thought maybe 250k

I have no idea how to logically gauge the size of a crowd... But one time I was in croke park, on the ground it looked jammed... Probably about a million people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

I've said this over on AH thread too but...

Garth Brooks sold over 400,000 tickets! Sold now, not gave away for free.

• Advertisement

With a full ariel image of the area at peak time it should be able to get a decent estimate of how many were there.

Counting the total number of pens and getting a crowd density estimate of each one (there is software that will do that).

The pens up front looked full, the pens from half way back looked mostly empty. Assume that the pens were planned to how equal numbers also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Not according to journal.ie and RTE have just stated the same about 5mins ago, all 500,000 were booked out.

Many of the 500,000 were offered free online again by people who changed their minds. Many people applied several times to ensure that they got tickets. These extra tickets were offered online free of charge up to last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The Donald said there was more at his Trump-POTUS inaugural rally (there might actually have been).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I just realised that 1 of the "experts" on 6-one this evening was a former teacher of mine, can't say I remember much of him as a teacher or an expert on TV

Trasna1 wrote:
    No tickets were scanned. Tickets were purely for crowd control

Tickets in knock were scanned and they were supposed to be scanned in the park. They need to scan the tickets for insurance purposes. If it was full & people got trampled & put in a claim the organiser has to be able to prove the numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Tickets in knock were scanned and they were supposed to be scanned in the park. They need to scan the tickets for insurance purposes. If it was full & people got trampled & put in a claim the organiser has to be able to prove the numbers

As I said, they had radar over the entry lanes so counted the crowd that way. Tickets were not checked. In fact security was quite weak, much less thorough than croke park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Generally all agreed with between the organisers and insurer. Do you have some special insight into the legal conditions agreed on this occasion?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭chooey

As I said, they had radar over the entry lanes so counted the crowd that way. Tickets were not checked. In fact security was quite weak, much less thorough than croke park.

I thought the same. They didn’t look in any bags, only thing they asked me was did I have any cans in mine. Just walked through

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Clareman wrote: »
    I'd say there'll be some session in D4 tonight, lots of great work done by a lot of people over the 2 days

I'm not sure if they're much of what you'd call "session people", to be honest

off the phone to mum, they had to walk a long way to the park, the promised "shuttle bus" never materialised. But she said it was dry and she enjoyed the mass and seeing the pope

amdublin wrote:
    Generally all agreed with between the organisers and insurer. Do you have some special insight into the legal conditions agreed on this occasion?

I ran a security company & a promotion company up till 2003. We put gigs on. Ronnie Drew, Aslan, topless dancers that type of thing. A high number for us would have been 1500 so small patatoes.

You do have to be able to prove how many were in attendance so you have to have a way of counting the crowd. By law you need to have minimum one security for every hundred tickets. This is law and you may have to prove it after the event so an agreement with the insurance isn't enough. The fire officer can request the information as they usually cover numbers at an event.

Someone a few posts back was there and he /she said that they were counted by an overhead sensor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I ran a security company & a promotion company up till 2003. We put gigs on. Ronnie Drew, Aslan, topless dancers that type of thing. A high number for us would have been 1500 so small patatoes.

You do have to be able to prove how many were in attendance so you have to have a way of counting the crowd. By law you need to have minimum one security for every hundred tickets. This is law and you may have to prove it after the event so an agreement with the insurance isn't enough. The fire officer can request the information as they usually cover numbers at an event.

Someone a few posts back was there and he /she said that they were counted by an overhead sensor.

Yep, agree, it was obviously confirmed in advance the count would be done by radar overheads

Just out of interest what metrics do you use to determine the successfulness of the visit? Because turnout clearly isn't one of them.

Can you please provide a list of larger gatherings for single events in the history of the country? I await it with interest. I'll give you two off the bat: the last Papal visit and the O'Connell gathering in the 19th century.
    patser wrote:
    Garth Brooks sold over 400,000 tickets! Sold now, not gave away for free.

Not for a single event but for planned events over a series of days, and that was an event that would have been marketed towards all fans of his, whereas this visit was primarily designed for people here. It's a matter of conjecture how many would have went if the weather was poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

Sky news's coverage was even more reverential than RTE and almost as extensive, I wonder what Vinney makes of that.

Sky news's coverage was even more reverential than RTE and almost as extensive, I wonder what Vinney makes of that.

As Sky is not our national broacaster I doubt he cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Can you please provide a list of larger gatherings for single events in the history of the country? I await it with interest. I'll give you two off the bat: the last Papal visit and the O'Connell gathering in the 19th century.

Not for a single event but for planned events over a series of days, and that was an event that would have been marketed towards all fans of his, whereas this visit was primarily designed for people here. It's a matter of conjecture how many would have went if the weather was poor.
    The Italia 90 homecoming had an estimated 500k in attendance.
    To be honest we've seen the last of the huge national gatherings since there's nothing that unifies the country like before,.and I don't think we will ever see the likes of huge free events ever again - tickets will at least have a small nominal charge which will allow for realistic event planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

According to Father Dougal there was 17 million people there.

https://youtu.be/3f6YPyc_OuI

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

mloc123 wrote: »
    As Sky is not our national broacaster I doubt he cares.

true. context or balance was never Vinnie's strong point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

The Italia 90 homecoming had an estimated 500k in attendance.
    To be honest we've seen the last of the huge national gatherings since there's nothing that unifies the country like before,.and I don't think we will ever see the likes of huge free events ever again - tickets will at least have a small nominal charge which will allow for realistic event planning.

We might see huge turnouts for something worth while. Not like this freak show

RTE compiled a list of the largest gatherings involving Irish people:

https://www.rte.ie/news/pope-francis-in-ireland/2018/0803/982949-huge-crowds-in-irish-history

Fact is this visit easily makes the list, even if we estimate the figure on the more modest side of the scale; we'll be waiting a long time to see a head of state or public figure generate this level of interest again. I'm sure that's infuriating for all the critics who wanted this to fail. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Autochange wrote: »
    We might see huge turnouts for something worth while. Not like this freak show

I briefly flicked on the RTE coverage on Saturday night. It was just after the Croke Park event. One of the commentators on the panel mentioned that there was a lot of empty seats, and he was immediately shot down by the Francis Brennan and Mary Kennedy (I think it was MK). Can't be blasting the turnout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

https://www.rte.ie/news/pope-francis-in-ireland/2018/0803/982949-huge-crowds-in-irish-history

Fact is this visit easily makes the list, even if we estimate the figure on the more modest side of the scale; we'll be waiting a long time to see a head of state or public figure generate this level of interest again. I'm sure that's infuriating for all the critics who wanted this to fail. :P

It's amazing the mental hoops you have to jump through to put a positive spin on this. But yes, the pope managed to attract slightly more than Barry McGuigan and not even half as many as the ploughing championships :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Notorious wrote: »
    I briefly flicked on the RTE coverage on Saturday night. It was just after the Croke Park event. One of the commentators on the panel mentioned that there was a lot of empty seats, and he was immediately shot down by the Francis Brennan and Mary Kennedy (I think it was MK). Can't be blasting the turnout.

It wasn't blasted on the 9 o'clock news tonight,but it was definitely acknowledged that the numbers in the Phoenix Park today were way down on what was expected.

Pelvis wrote: »
    It's amazing the mental hoops you have to jump through to put a positive spin on this. But yes, the pope managed to attract slightly more than Barry McGuigan and not even half as many as the ploughing championships :D

You know the critics are straw-clutching when they're reduced to barbs like "state of your giant gathering". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

He was stupid to say the apology went too far but you neglected to mention what he said straight after, which had a little more validity to it. He said "I think the community at the time should be 95% to blame"

While I think 95% is pushing it, I do think the attitude of the community was partly to blame. Families, friends, neighbours all disowned and failed to protect those most vulnerable.

I think they were right to air it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Of the Pope in England :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

bfa1509 wrote: »
    He was stupid to say the apology went too far but you neglected to mention what he said straight after, which had a little more validity to it. He said "I think the community at the time should be 95% to blame"

While I think 95% is pushing it, I do think the attitude of the community was partly to blame. Families, friends, neighbours all disowned and failed to protect those most vulnerable.

I think they were right to air it.
    Not to long ago in Ireland people wouldn’t dare go against a member of the clergy ... the Catholic Church was more powerful than any state organisation or in fact more powerful than the law of the land.
    In small town Ireland the Catholic Church could ruin you if they so wished with the help of the state as well.
    My mom remembers people’s names being read from the pulpit and that was far more serious than landing in court or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pointless list really -
    The majority of the above events were not ticketed events, and many took place at numerous venues or over a number of days. As a result it is often not possible to provide exact figures of how many people took part or attended.

Where possible we have provided figures from gardand organisers, although even these must be treated with an element of caution due to the difficulties of calculating the number of people congregating in a public space over a long period of time.

Ultimately the main conclusion from this event is the obvious one - the Pope is not the draw he once was in a previous era and incarnation (a bit like Dr Who maybe?!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well the coverage at 9 o clock news said tens of thousands so they obviously are back tracking on their earlier estimates. Aerial photos make it look empty. Showed my husband the picture + he thought it was the crowd building before it. I was like eh no that's during it. If all those pens were for 500,000 then looks like less then 100,000. I'm no expect though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Eamon Martin getting a roasting on RTE and not responding with anything only platitudes. No change there then. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement