Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE's coverage of the pope's visit

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

bfa1509 wrote: »
    He was stupid to say the apology went too far but you neglected to mention what he said straight after, which had a little more validity to it. He said "I think the community at the time should be 95% to blame"

While I think 95% is pushing it, I do think the attitude of the community was partly to blame. Families, friends, neighbours all disowned and failed to protect those most vulnerable.

I think they were right to air it.

Its irrelevan by t how many percent the Church was to blame . Because the Pope was seeking forgiveness for the abuse caused by the Church at that moment . Even if only a percentage was caused by the Church the Pope cannot go to far apologing to the victims . One single victim is too many so an apology cannot go too far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I take solace in the fact that this will be the last great show that the CC and Pope in Rome will put on in Ireland that will attract any sort of large numbers.

Should the next Pope come back here in 10, 20 or 30years, the numbers will be small even by todays standards......and a tiny fraction of what attended in 1979.

This is the last breath of a dying organisation in this country. Of course there will always be devout Catholics in Ireland, but they have burnt all their bridges now, and great to see them put in their place by the population.

Crowds today were pretty pathetic....if they hadn't the Families event on to draw in religious tourists, can only guess how poor it would have looked for the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

NIMAN wrote: »
    I take solace in the fact that this will be the last great show that the CC and Pope in Rome will put on in Ireland that will attract any sort of large numbers.

Should the next Pope come back here in 10, 20 or 30years, the numbers will be small even by todays standards......and a tiny fraction of what attended in 1979.

This is the last breath of a dying organisation in this country. Of course there will always be devout Catholics in Ireland, but they have burnt all their bridges now, and great to see them put in their place by the population.

Crowds today were pretty pathetic....if they hadn't the Families event on to draw in religious tourists, can only guess how poor it would have looked for the media.

Problem is people have been predicting and rejoicing at the death of the Church for 2000 years, from Nero to Stalin. Thing is, they and their organisations and ideologies are all gone, the Church is still here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Problem is people have been predicting and rejoicing at the death of the Church for 2000 years, from Nero to Stalin. Thing is, they and their organisations and ideologies are all gone, the Church is still here.

I couldn't care less if there is an RC church operating here. But very soon it will be a church on the scale of the COI or the Jewish faith. And what that will mean, is zero influence on the state and it's functions from health to education.

That will be a good day, a glorious day even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah of course its still here, and I didn't say it will die. There are too many religious nuts for that to happen unfortunately.

But as Francie says, its not going to be as relevant.

I hope I live to see the day it has no dealings in our society at all. Of course people can attend it if they so please, but its on the rapid decline in Ireland whether you want to see the truth or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Yeah of course its still here, and I didn't say it will die. There are too many religious nuts for that to happen unfortunately.

But as Francie says, its not going to be as relevant.

I hope I live to see the day it has no dealings in our society at all. Of course people can attend it if they so please, but its on the rapid decline in Ireland whether you want to see the truth or not.

I worry that we'll see Islamic faiths or other trying to take over. We've already seen too many kowtowing to appease other organisations. (Some schools won't hold nativity plays so they 'don't offend' the non-Christian students. They're stories, nice stories. Why be so protective? Bambi's a lot more traumatic).

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭margaretdublin

Maybe religion should be taken out of schools completely. It should be left up to the parent to guide them in their own beliefs outside school.

I worry that we'll see Islamic faiths or other trying to take over. We've already seen too many kowtowing to appease other organisations. (Some schools won't hold nativity plays so they 'don't offend' the non-Christian students. They're stories, nice stories. Why be so protective? Bambi's a lot more traumatic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Felt RTE dealt pretty well with the events from the bits I watched. Sharon Ni .... did seem stumble quite a bit. Thought the city looked very well.

A huge proportion, clear majority, of population here will still identify at RC in 30 years. Given what has gone on over the past 20 years, i'm surprised that 80% of the population here still classify themselves as RC. It's very hard to see that number falling to the levels of insignificant within 30 years. Also, only saw a few shots of the mass on the news but I'm guessing that there were well over 100K at it. Hardly a pathetic crowd.
    But very soon it will be a church on the scale of the COI or the Jewish faith. And what that will mean, is zero influence on the state and it's functions from health to education.

Firstly, in line with my point above, it'll take generations to get to that level. There are a few thousand, less than 5k, Jewish people in Ireland, if I remember correctly.

That's inevitable and it's happening at the moment. The Islamic faiths are handling themselves very well in Ireland so far and behaviour like that is going to attract new members. I know people who frequent their facilities for a variety of reasons and they all speak very highly of the Islamic people they deal with. I've a very keen interest in the Church of Scientology for personal reasons. They are meeting the recruitment targets that they've set in Dublin since they set up their new centre in Firhouse. Maybe it's just me but I've noticed a increase in the number of JWs out and about over the past year. They work the commuter train stations quite a lot. Other religious movements are going to become more of an influence in Ireland as the RC declines.
    Maybe religion should be taken out of schools completely. It should be left up to the parent to guide them in their own beliefs outside school.

Not a good idea in my opinion. Best to prepare children for the real world and religion is a huge part of life in many countries. Best of educate them about all of the religions of the world.

Berserker wrote: »

Firstly, in line with my point above, it'll take generations to get to that level. There are a few thousand, less than 5k, Jewish people in Ireland, if I remember correctly.

Not if the rate of decline continues the way it is. And when the dust settles on the weekend hard questions will have to be confronted on just how far it has declined even beyond what the insiders thought it was. They expected over 500,000 people to attend.

Not if the rate of decline continues the way it is. And when the dust settles on the weekend hard questions will have to be confronted on just how far it has declined even beyond what the insiders thought it was. They expected over 500,000 people to attend.

The current rate of decline is nowhere near high enough. They've dropped 12% in the last 30 years. You and I will be well and truly dead and then some by the time it reaches <5% at that rate. They sold 500K tickets for the event yesterday. Would be really interesting to know why people didn't attend but it's a one off event. They don't strike me as the type of people who do much hard thinking. They'll put it down to the weather, travel and say no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Can you please provide a list of larger gatherings for single events in the history of the country? I await it with interest. I'll give you two off the bat: the last Papal visit and the O'Connell gathering in the 19th century.

I don't think the numbers for the pope's visit are any way unusually large, every year on Paddy's day there are bigger crowds, 1916 commemoration, the Bray airshow, sports teams homecomings etc etc all get similar crowds

The current rate of decline is nowhere near high enough. They've dropped 12% in the last 30 years. You and I will be well and truly dead and then some by the time it reaches <5% at that rate. They sold 500K tickets for the event yesterday. Would be really interesting to know why people didn't attend but it's a one off event. They don't strike me as the type of people who do much hard thinking. They'll put it down to the weather, travel and say no more.

Basing observance of faith on a yes or no answer in a census is highly dangerous as the organisers found out at the 'free'(nobody bought a ticket) event in the park yesterday.

The reality is the RC church in Ireland is deep deep decline and shows no sign of stopping as more and more will emerge from the US perhaps even implicating the pope himself, totally undermining any bounce from yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

I think what happened with the Catholic Church in Ireland was that after Vatican 2 the church stated that it was no longer necessary to be a Catholic to get to heaven. Then people asked what was the point of being a Catholic? Then people began to wonder what loving God would send anyone to hell? Then they began to disbelieve in Heaven. Then they disbelieved the whole lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I've a very keen interest in the Church of Scientology for personal reasons. They are meeting the recruitment targets that they've set in Dublin since they set up their new centre in Firhouse.

Stay clear of them or be happy to get your pockets emptied :)

I think what happened with the Catholic Church in Ireland was that after Vatican 2 the church stated that it was no longer necessary to be a Catholic to get to heaven. Then people asked what was the point of being a Catholic? Then people began to wonder what loving God would send anyone to hell? Then they began to disbelieve in Heaven. Then they disbelieved the whole lot.

What was the purpose of the Vatican II?
    BarryD2 wrote: »
    Stay clear of them or be happy to get your pockets emptied :)

I've an aunt, who I never met, who joined the Sea Org when she was in her late teens. I'm well versed on their ways. People think the RCC is a hard nut ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hey folks,

The coverage on RTE is over, so this thread has served its purpose.

Thanks for keeping it civilised!

Some threads to continue the discussion:

AH: So who's going to see the Pope?
    AH: Should we protest against the pope's visit?
    A&A: Mark your diaries! Pope Frank coming to Ireland - August 2018

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement