Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongar - is it family friendly

Options
  • 25-08-2018 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi guys

We re a young family with a small baby and have seen a few houses we like in ongar Willan’s ave to be specific and north street

We are not familiar with the area though - any recent feedback? Thanks a million in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

It's fine I believe. Not from there or ever lived there but some friends moved to the area and very happy.
    Not sure if there's a social housing area or any bad roads or anything but his end is fine (near clonee rather than blanchardstown)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cremedumomf

thank you - appreciate the quick reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I would discourage North Street as it's right off the village main Street and next to the pub which can get noisy with outdoor smokers/drinkers at times. The Willans area is much better as it's laid out like a more typical family based housing estate. Street view it to get an idea but obviously you should visit to get a better feel for the location.

PS, I've lived here 13 years and very happy with the place despite some people having negative views. Great local facilities, shops, restaurants, Dunnes Stores, primary and secondary schools in walking distance, Hansfield train station 10 minutes walk away and frequent 39/39A bus service. Lots of open spaces too and dedicated bike lanes.

There is a high percentage of renters which does make the population more transient but that hasn't affected me. A fairly vibrant community spirit, particularly the Tidy Towns volunteers and the Ongar Community centre has lots of activities, clubs and services for adults and kids

many thanks Ongarboy. thanks for the advice ref North Street. lots of renters would not bother us I think, it's more the anti social element that we are weary of.

does willan's area get any trouble from the surrounding estates?

thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sowdublin

Bought a house near St Benedicts school 3 years ago. Haven't had any trouble so far, decent family area, lots of school choices, very family friendly and good public transport connection with the bus and train. Don't know why there is a lot of negative publicity for the area on media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

It's great for families. Lots of schools and kids activities around, nice places to walk with the kids and take bikes out, etc.

There are loads of families in the area and it's a great community to raise children in.

thank you both. unfortunately the house we were interested in went above our price range - hate bidding wars. we will keep an eye out - really liked the area.

Advertisement