Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you report an assault to the Guards if someone hit you during a GAA game?

• 25-08-2018 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭

If two lads were laying into each other in the middle of town at 2am and there were a few Guards nearby, they would defuse the situation straight away by restraining them, possible arrests and charge with public disorder etc.
    Yet I have been at many GAA matches where one guy can start pushing, kicking another guy or even throwing a few punches and it turns into a full-on assault and yet we don't see this as a crime..
    How many times have the Guards at Croke Park just stood there and watched as two rival hurlers/footballers etc lay into each other viciously to the point of blood etc.
    I know what people are going to say "Oh its part of the spirit of the match, man up etc etc", But just as a thought, if you were punched and kicked by a rival GAA player and your assault was all on camera, and presuming you didn't fight back, could you actually walk away, ring the Guards and say "ive been assaulted, and its on camera", and could the other guy be charged with assault?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yes, you can. The Guards don't intervene in matches due to the nature of it, but if it became serious enough they would. It's like fighting in Ice Hockey, it's acceptable to a degree without intervention. But, there is nothing stopping you from making a complaint of assault after the fact, and it would have to be fully investigated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Quite a few cases of assault on the pitch have ended up in court.

I know a guy who went to prison for assaulting a ref in a soccer match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Yes in theory.

A lot trickier in practice.

Probably easier just to punch them back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's 'de pashin'

Surprised there aren't more people looking up their solicitor afterwards, this being Compo Central for most other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Yes the Gardaí will investigate but any prosecution relating to a sporting encounter has to be directed by the DPP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Man up OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

It's 'de pashin'

Surprised there aren't more people looking up their solicitor afterwards, this being Compo Central for most other things.

For the pride of the parish of the royal rebel banner county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Collie D wrote: »
    Quite a few cases of assault on the pitch have ended up in court.

I know a guy who went to prison for assaulting a ref in a soccer match.

Proper order

Playing soccer should be evidence enough to justify any criminal conviction

Obviously not a productive member of society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Oh its part of the spirit of the match, man up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

A few weeks ago over in Australia a guy broke a players jaw in Aussie rules with a punch and there was a big debate over whether the player should be charged by the cops. Nothing was done by police and their stance was they could only intervene if the victim made a formal complaint to them which he didn't. Not sure how it works here but it would open up a can of worms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I know a lad who got into a fight in a leagle game and was arrested for it. Not sure how it panned out but he had a few days in court for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

He hits you, you hit the ground, he gets the line, you get the free.

No need to be getting the Feds involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

A few weeks ago over in Australia a guy broke a players jaw in Aussie rules with a punch and there was a big debate over whether the player should be charged by the cops. Nothing was done by police and their stance was they could only intervene if the victim made a formal complaint to them which he didn't. Not sure how it works here but it would open up a can of worms.

I cant speak for everyone but I would imagine there is a massive culture within GAA that whatever happens on the pitch stays on the pitch and any fights can be resolved with a pint afterwards but that's a very toxic viewpoint in my opinion. Its reinforced by old school GAA officials who no doubt would laugh heartily at the suggestion of reporting an assault, and many Guards are from that background too which only adds to the stigma of reporting on-field assaults. And Peer pressure would make it worse, with ribbing about being a "snowflake" keeping many lads quiet.
    Personally if someone punched me or kicked me during a match and it was deliberate and premediated, im ringing the cops and making that complaint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

contact sports probably are not for you ........

try COD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

mynamejeff wrote: »
    contact sports probably are not for you ........

try COD

But do you think someone who assaults someone else in a contact sport should face no ramifications?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭horseofstone

Former Down player james mccartan was brought before the court when he assaulted an opposing player in an intercounty match between Down and Westmeath in 2003.The player assaulted was a garda as it happens.mccartan was given the probation act when he payed a large sum of money to an organisation of the westmeath players choosing.So yes these situations can finish up in court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

But do you think someone who assaults someone else in a contact sport should face no ramifications?

yes i do they should be banned from participating the that sport for a period of time

i ve played Gaa soccer and rugby and i ve seen many cases of what i would call foul play. and even fights in the car park after games (which would be a assault )

take the contact and rough play out of games and and you lose the learning side of sport.
    punish fouls by all means but inside the game

Not the GAA, not even Ireland for that matter, but Duncan Ferguson "Duncan Disorderly" was sentenced and served three months for head butting an opposition player when he was with Glasgow Rangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I have heard of a local enough case where a full back broke the opposition full forward's jaw in a completely unprovoked scenario. Simply hit him a punch from behind when play was nowhere near them. There was a case brought against him and it was settled out of court.

In general there will be provocation met with retaliation in most "assault" incidents which happen during a game with the result that most are chalked down to being part of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

There was a fella who stole a few yards on a free kick one time.
    Did community service on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I cant speak for everyone but I would imagine there is a massive culture within GAA that whatever happens on the pitch stays on the pitch and any fights can be resolved with a pint afterwards but that's a very toxic viewpoint in my opinion. Its reinforced by old school GAA officials who no doubt would laugh heartily at the suggestion of reporting an assault, and many Guards are from that background too which only adds to the stigma of reporting on-field assaults. And Peer pressure would make it worse, with ribbing about being a "snowflake" keeping many lads quiet.
    Personally if someone punched me or kicked me during a match and it was deliberate and premediated, im ringing the cops and making that complaint.

Hardly unique to the GAA.

Advertisement