Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BER E1 - Worth implementing recommendations?

• 25-08-2018 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hi,
    I had a new high efficiency combi condensing gas boiler installed in 2016 and got a BER cert with an E1 rating. I didn't really pay much attention to the cert as I only needed it to avail of the grant.

However, I am now planning on selling the house and have a few queries. The house is a 1930s end terrace mass concrete ex council house. It has been upgraded over the years and is now fully double glazed, drylined, thermostatic valves on all radiators and 300mm insulation in the attic but have no receipts to show all this work. The problems highlighted were:

No draught lobby
    3 chimneys (have balloons fitted but they don't count for BER?)
    less than 100% draught stripping with no specifics
    low energy lighting less than 50%
    part of flat roof u-value of greater than or equal to 1.5

My question is would it be worth permanently sealing off the chimneys (we never use them) with insulated board and vents, installing LED light bulbs and cutting a hole in the ceiling of the flat roof part of the extension so that the assessor can see there is 200mm insulation in there? There was no way he could have seen any insulation on the day he was here.

Would those improvements - which would not cost a lot - make enough of a difference to the rating to warrant an upgrade inspection by the same assessor? Or, perhaps, a different assessor?

Advertisement