Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms - Limerick

• 25-08-2018 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭

So my gym membership for Clayton Hotel is over. I am looking for other gyms now which are bigger in size and not much congested.

Any suggestions?

I have found Go Gym at Coonagh roundabout alright. But it costs 150 euros for 3 months and there is additional once of joining fees of 25 euros, which is making it pricey.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I'm a member of The Strand. It's very pricey for what you get but its the most convenient if you live in the city. There are the same people that hog all the weights in the morning which can get very frustrating as it's very small. Also, the free classes book out very quickly. Saying that though the staff are very friendly and their are nice perks like the pool/sauna/free towel etc. Go Gym is a much better gym imo. It depends what you're looking for really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

panda100 wrote: »
    I'm a member of The Strand. It's very pricey for what you get but its the most convenient if you live in the city. There are the same people that hog all the weights in the morning which can get very frustrating as it's very small. Also, the free classes book out very quickly. Saying that though the staff are very friendly and their are nice perks like the pool/sauna/free towel etc. Go Gym is a much better gym imo. It depends what you're looking for really.

I hated the Strand. ONE bench in the weights section. That's right - ONE bench.

Treadmills positioned looking at a wall. Most of the TV's don't work.

I tried discussing the lack of benches with one of the staff and was impolitely dismissed. The guy was too busy having the chats with a friend.

So I really wouldn't recommend the Strand. Not if you are into gyms in any shape or form

John_Mc wrote: »

I tried discussing the lack of benches with one of the staff and was impolitely dismissed. The guy was too busy having the chats with a friend.

So I really wouldn't recommend the Strand. Not if you are into gyms in any shape or form

They have three benches there now in fairness. Still get hogged by the same people every morning and evening though. I usually just do my own thing in the studio as not big into weights anyway. For me, the Strand is just the most convenient as its near where I live and that is the most important thing for me in a gym. If it was far away I wouldn't go. But yes, if your big into weights than there are much better gyms in town than the Strand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Dead right, The Strand isn't even a gym in my opinion due to the lack of actual lifting equipment. Full of **** machines and cardio equipment, anyone actually wanting to workout should seriously not fork over the extortionate price for such a ridiculous setup. The Bodybuilding, Dooradoyle and GO Gym are all infinitely better options, I just don't understand why there aren't any proper gyms like these in the city centre when it's so easy to set one up - all you need are racks, platforms and free weights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There's new Gym that opened under the Uber building, i cant remember the name of it, but looked good from what I could see from facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Mc Love wrote: »
    There's new Gym that opened under the Uber building, i cant remember the name of it, but looked good from what I could see from facebook

Basecamp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Was in there a few weeks back. It looks like a decent enough set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I just checked their website and its more expensive than GoGym. It's 69 euros per month.

Basecamp

I just checked their website and its more expensive than GoGym. It's 69 euros per month.

Ridiculous pricing. I was paying less than that in Westwood in Clontarf, which had an Olympic sized swimming pool and was one of the biggest gyms in the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

There’s a gym up by the station city gym not sure what it’s like

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote:
    Ridiculous pricing. I was paying less than that in Westwood in Clontarf, which had an Olympic sized swimming pool and was one of the biggest gyms in the country.

If they can get people to pay it it's not ridiculous. And if all the other gyms are fairly rubbish then that might happen. Not for me though. Indoor training doesn't appeal much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Anyone recommend Planet Health on Childers Road? I'm in the bodybuilding in Raheen at the moment but thinking of changing to Planet Health as it's closer to home.

Fit100 on the Ballysimon road are even more expensive.

Could you please tell me how is Bodybuilding gym like, in terms of how busy it gets and is it crowded right after work hours? I am looking for a gym which has decent space, less crowded and sufficient cardio and weight machines are available.
    Thanks
    Harambe wrote: »
    Anyone recommend Planet Health on Childers Road? I'm in the bodybuilding in Raheen at the moment but thinking of changing to Planet Health as it's closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Could you please tell me how is Bodybuilding gym like, in terms of how busy it gets and is it crowded right after work hours? I am looking for a gym which has decent space, less crowded and sufficient cardio and weight machines are available.
    Thanks

I've been going in the mornings recently and it's really good, not overly busy and always have access to equipment I want to use etc. I was going at lunch time for a while but I didn't like the routine any more so I switched it up. I found lunch time getting busier and busier over the Summer as well, but still normally had access to whatever I needed. After work peak time around 6pm was very busy any time I went, definitely had to wait equipment at that time. I haven't gone at 6pm for a year or 2 now so it might be quieter but I doubt it judging by the amount of cars I see there daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I think the Greenehills Hotel deserves a shout. Not massive, but has most things you need + the pool and jacuzzi, price is okay comparatively. Can be busy sometimes but the gym goers are nice and friendly in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Some of the staff in the Strand leisure center could really do with a personality transplant. They have just absolutely no customer service skills to speak off.
    One of the reasons I didnt renew there,.

tototoe wrote: »
    Some of the staff in the Strand leisure center could really do with a personality transplant.

Some of the customers too.

tototoe wrote: »
    Some of the staff in the Strand leisure center could really do with a personality transplant. They have just absolutely no customer service skills to speak off.
    One of the reasons I didnt renew there,.

Surprised to hear this. They're always very friendly to me there and have always had a positive experience with them all. Lots of negatives to the gym but the customer service is not one imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

That's just my experience of them. Never found them friendly or helpful. Felt like I was interrupting their day at times. Each to their own, but I went elsewhere once my membership was up. The hotel staff itself I find great, but not the leisure center.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

I also go to the bodybuilding gym in the mornings.

It is usually pretty quiet. It is quieter between 8 and 9 than it is between 6 and 7...
    Alot of the time there is less that 20 people there in the morning so you can get your workout done in the order in which you want to do it.

The evenings are busy especially when there are classes on. I only go in the evenings occasionally but I have found that its not so busy that I cant get my work out done. May not be in the order in which I want but I get it done.

They have a full range of dumbbells up to 60+KG, benches, squat racks, a rig that you can use for squats, open floor space for Deadlifts, range of weights machines, and a few cable machines. They also have bumper plates if dropping weights doing cleans or snatches is your thing.

Maintenance of equipment can be an issue. If something is broken it stays broken for ages. The stairmasters were broken for about 2 months at one stage. Currently a couple of the cable machines are broken and have been for weeks. But its only ever 1 or two things that are broken at a time.

For cardio they have 5 or 6 treadmills (I have no idea whats up with the touch scrrens on them, dont work right, but the treadmills work fine.

4 or 5 elipticals (Old and worn but fine)
    2 stairmasters

2 or 3 spin bikes
    2 exercise bikes
    4 or 5 C2 rowers
    4 Assault bikes for some reason.

In the evening access to the cardio machines can be hit and miss. They can be all occupied and then 10 mins later there is nobody using them. Alot of the people using them are only doing a 5 or 10 min warmup before their workouts so you can get one fairly quick.
    The exception being the stairmasters. If they are in use it usually by someone who is on it for a half hour to an hour. Gets serious use by bodybuilder types looking to burn calories.

edit: I also meant to say that they run a range of classes if youre looking for that. They are up on their facebook.
    they charge €8 for a one off visit if you wanted to go check it out.

What are the numbers like between 6am and 7am? I'd be looking to go at those times.

Many thanks Brownej.

That's really helpful. Cheers and happy pumping :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

How much is The Strand as a matter of interest?

Is there a discount for living in the apartments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Mc Love wrote: »
    What are the numbers like between 6am and 7am? I'd be looking to go at those times.

I'm only occasionally in that early but its grand.
    much much quieter than the evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

panda100 wrote: »

It’s smart pricing - I think UBER staff get some sort of a health and leisure allowance yearly - majority of them out it towards that gym.

Advertisement