Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things people in other cultures say that drive you mad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

GMSA wrote: »
    Americans are fond of this one.

Good job.

Jesus I hate that phrase.

Couldn't resist :)

tenor.gif?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

There's a woman in work that everybody refers to as 'Love'. She calls everybody 'Love'.

Witchie, is that the sort of thing you're talking about, dear? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

There's a woman in work that everybody refers to as 'Love'. She calls everybody 'Love'.

Witchie, is that the sort of thing you're talking about, dear? :pac:

Ugh. Feck off. Have been called dear about 5 times today.

It's not edearing to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

"Rate of speed"
    Beloved of American cops and newsreaders etc
    Stop with the redundancy! :mad:
    I know you think it makes you sound precise and intelligent or whatever, but it really doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

Perfect too if you want a man who treats you like ****.

Been treated like **** by white Irish men too! :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »
    Sorry it's just this is the first time I've ever heard of people finding Indians attractive!

I know how that sounds..

India has the record number of Miss World titles, for what that's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

"Are you from England?"

"No, Ireland".

"Same thing".

That really gets me going.

murpho999 wrote: »
    "Are you from England?"

"No, Ireland".

"Same thing".

That really gets me going.

Had that conversation with an Indian guy in my building lift (he was hot too).

I asked him where he was from and he said India so I replied "Pakistan."

He got the point. I didn't get his number though. Dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

send bobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Thank you so much, also calling women "guys."

Technically, not what they say in other cultures but in my part of the world which is, like, totally awesome otherwise, dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

The English using the word brought instead of bought :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

f*cking yanks with their "thoughts and prayers"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

In the UK, the 'y'aw rye?' [you alright?] greeting is ubiquitous. It's not so much the words as the tone. Every time I hear it, I think I must ask myself if I'm coming around after falling and hitting my head... like 'y'aw rye? Should I call an ambulance?'.

I got phonecall from a recruiter in the UK today and the first thing she was was 'y'aw rye?' and it just sounds indifferent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm kind of shocked that slot of people here are attracted to Indian men. I see them everyday in Ireland and I've been to India. Nobody in my life ever said anything good about an Indian person. Have you guys actually sat near one on a bus? They stink!

You learn something new everyday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

People that say “axe” instead of “ask”.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

When yanks say they did something "on accident".

Lookit

What the **** does that mean?

And ending every sentence with but or so. what is that all about?

I know Irish people love to talk, but why throw in additional superfluous words in to sentences?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I rented one of my properties out to an Indian family once. Lovely people I have to say. Wouldn't ever rent to an Indian again though. The place absolutely stank of curry when they moved out. Had to have the place repainted.

They all also have a hum of curry off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'm kind of shocked that slot of people here are attracted to Indian men. I see them everyday in Ireland and I've been to India. Nobody in my life ever said anything good about an Indian person. Have you guys actually sat near one on a bus? They stink!

You do indeed - I've been to India, and work with a number of Indians, and I never noticed any of them stinking.

Shenshen wrote: »
    MarkY91 wrote: »

You do indeed - I've been to India, and work with a number of Indians, and I never noticed any of them stinking.
    In fact young Indian lads are very metrosexual and from my experience smell deliciously of aftershave. And anyway, sure I love the smell of curry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,802 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Way to go!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Well, sticking to the thread topic.

Loud Spanish people who talk at the top of their voices non stop.

Certain continentals, again the Spanish and to an extent Italians and French who arrive into a bar in a large group, take up most of the seating and then have one drink between the lot of them.

Middle Eastern and also some African people shouting on their mobile phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Australians ending sentences with 'but'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

f*cking yanks with their "thoughts and prayers"

Two stray cats frequent my back garden from time to time.

They've been named thoughts and prayers.

F***ing useless the two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Certain continentals, again the Spanish and to an extent Italians and French who arrive into a bar in a large group, take up most of the seating and then have one drink between the lot of them.

Agree with all of this but in particular the Spanish reference.

There's thousands of them in all our cities now and when they enter a bar they make sure everyone knows about it. In their defence there's no harm in them and they seem a jovial bunch, but Christ they're loud.

Additionally, and to make matters worse, my upstairs neighbour is Spanish, and when he has people over the racket they make is on a nuclear scale. There may only be a handful of them there but it sounds like all of Pamplona has descended on his little flat; loud, shouty, hysterical voices all running 19 to the dozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Incoming from mostly South-Asian countries, after I sent them multiple messages signed with my world-widely popular feminine name:

"Dear Sir"

Yes. Non-stop. I hate taking the bus home from work in the afternoons because they all take the same bus and talk as loud as they can.

Anybody noticed how an awful lot of them can't talk on the phone normally and tend to have the calls on a loud speaker? In public?

Last week I was ready to cry when I'm on a nice empty bus and on one bus stop a group of Spanish, another group of Italian and a group of Brazillians get on the bus, with one girl who I think was Spanish and she was on a call, had it on a loud speaker. They all sat down behind me and I got to enjoy a lovely mix of Spanish, Italian and Brazilian Portuguese shouting right behind my head. Oh god.

This is my problem though, I know they don't mean any harm and it's normal in their own countries I guess, so I'm trying to let them live and shift my focus elsewhere.

I have a few friends from these countries, but always refuse to meet up with them if there's more than one. Individuals are fine, I will always religiously avoid the groups, because the noise would probably kill me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Mash up di ting get bread

Fuk up a nigga wit dreads

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Literally none of those are on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Spaniards don't seem to know what a zebra crossing is.

Drivers will mow you out of it.

As a matter of fact it's common behaviour in all of southern Europe.

• Advertisement

Literally none of those are on topic

It's a lot closer than 90% of what preceded it.

One annoying thing I notice with some Middle Eastern/Pakistani people is when they've withdrawn money at an ATM instead of moving on they will either stand there counting their money or reading the receipt totally oblivious to the people waiting behind them in the queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Lets touch base
    Moving forward
    Lets run this up the flagpole to see if it flies
    I need to take a high altitude view
    Its on my radar
    I'm eating aldesco

the pretentious culture ...you're not saving lives!!!
    Your paygrade is not that high.... STOP SPEAKING LIKE A GOBSH!TE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭indioblack

Lackey wrote: »
    Lets touch base
    Moving forward
    Lets run this up the flagpole to see if it flies
    I need to take a high altitude view
    Its on my radar
    I'm eating aldesco

the pretentious culture ...you're not saving lives!!!
    Your paygrade is not that high.... STOP SPEAKING LIKE A GOBSH!TE

My boss was at home and phoned me saying, "I'm just touching base". I'd never heard the expression.
    "You're touching what?"
    Are you sure you want to share that with me?

indioblack wrote: »
    My boss was at home and phoned me saying, "I'm just touching base". I'd never heard the expression.
    "You're touching what?"
    Are you sure you want to share that with me?

We “reach out” in my company.

Does my tits in.

Aegir wrote: »

Does my tits in.

Hey, tits doesn’t get censored.

Tits, big titty tits

My Friday is complete

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lusocu

Feminist culture whining about the patriarchy, gender pay gap, rape culture and privileged white males.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

One annoying thing I notice with some Middle Eastern/Pakistani people is when they've withdrawn money at an ATM instead of moving on they will either stand there counting their money or reading the receipt totally oblivious to the people waiting behind them in the queue.

An elbow in the ribs usually wakes them up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭indioblack

Aegir wrote: »

Does my tits in.
    My last company "wished me well in my new endeavour" - that's when I realized they were showing me the exit door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,374 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Witchie wrote: »

So what word or phrase from another culture drives you mad?

“The Mainland”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Anyone using the term "awesome"

Oh and Dubs who call you "buddy" or "pal"

Take your bags and baggage and get oot.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Americans calling me ma'am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,669 ✭✭✭✭Esel

dieselbug wrote: »
    Anyone using the term "awesome"

Oh and Dubs who call you "buddy" or "pal"

I'm not your pal, amigo.

Not your ornery onager

"it is what it is"...

And it's never just used once. It's so damn repetitive.

• Advertisement

Lusocu wrote: »
    Feminist culture whining about the patriarchy, gender pay gap, rape culture and privileged white males.

Spoken like a true privileged while male ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Australians ending sentences with 'but'.
    My manager, who's from Belfast, does this a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

"it is what it is"...

And it's never just used once. It's so damn repetitive.

THERE SHE IS!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lusocu

Spoken like a true privileged while male ;)

Spoken like a delusional feminist who can blame any failings on the patriarchy. You are not oppressed.

Is it privileged that females do better in exams and more go to college? Is there something inherent in the education system maybe that disadvantages males? Why isn't there a concern over forcing an equality of outcome in leaving cert results. Every year it's triumphantly announced by smiling RTE news anchors that females outperformed the boys yet again. Men are more stupid and more intelligent. They occupy more extreme ends on a Gaussian IQ distribution. The further towards each end you go you have more males. Therefore you have more male geniuses and also the opposite is true for males. More females in the middle is probably a factor in consistently edging ahead in leaving cert and going onto college. Anecdotely women are probably more dutiful in school, males more likely to take part in sports outside school hours, males lack role models in the classroom and because of their biology are on average likely to be more boisterous, rebellious all of which feeds into the final performance.

Males are 4 times more likely to commit suicide. More likely to do dangerous jobs and die at work. Women live longer lives. Women throughout the entirety of their 20s earn more than men. Women make the decision to have families and only then men pull ahead. Women are the primary spenders of money in households, so even then they are in control of spending the money in the economy. Courts favour the woman for custody of children In seperations. In America Asians make more money than any other race followed by whites. There is affirmative action for acceptance to colleges which puts Asians at a disadvantage whereby they need score higher in SATs to secure a place. If anything it should be called Asian privilege. But that would be racist. Generalizing against a whole demographic of "white males" is a very good example of sexism and racism so congratulations on that. In a parallel universe you could qualify to be a member of the KKK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The "men are the real victims" culture shouting people down who disagree with their blinkered world view and getting triggered like the precious snowflakes they are by even the tiniest criticism, as above....

• Advertisement
Advertisement