Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-build cost template

Options
  • 25-08-2018 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Good day,

I have just submitted my planning application for a 280 m² 1.5 storey house. Fingers crossed there aren't too many issues but ... time will tell.
    As this will be my biggest investment of my life I want to self-build it to a decent standard and so I need to ensure I keep costs under control as much as possible.

I am wondering if anyone has any excel templates which they have used on their builds and if possible could you share it please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭893bet

Are you mortgage approved?

It’s seems from reading here and else people people are shocked at current build prices. If you are assuming you will build the house for 250-280k then you could be in for a shock. 400+ is likely if you want a good standard like you say.

Consider taking off 400-800 feet from the plans and saving yourself a ball in building, maintenance, heating, cleaning cost for the next 40 years. You won’t even miss the space.

Glwb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

893bet wrote: »
    Are you mortgage approved?

It’s seems from reading here and else people people are shocked at current build prices. If you are assuming you will build the house for 250-280k then you could be in for a shock. 400+ is likely if you want a good standard like you say.

Consider taking off 400-800 feet from the plans and saving yourself a ball in building, maintenance, heating, cleaning cost for the next 40 years. You won’t even miss the space.

Glwb.

Not a homeowner but an avid Grand Designs fan!!! Agree with reducing the size-that sounds like a big house. A few neighbours have built big houses-the largest family is 2 adults & 2 children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Tefral

Self building you say? I am going to assume you are not in the construction industry, so forgive me if you are and this sounds like a condescending post.

Couple of questions:

1. Do you need 280m2?
    2. What size family have you?
    3. What type of heating system are you going for?
    4. Have you got an M&E plan done up?
    5. Do you have any building knowledge?
    6. If you are not in the building trade how do you intend to procure your trades
    7. Have you engaged the services of a Quantity Surveyor?

Couple of pieces of advice:
    1. Make sure all rooms are divisible by 1200mm x 2400mm. All sheet material comes in this size and you will incur significant wastage in materials if you don't. - Timber sheets, Insulation, Tiles, Floor coverings etc etc
    2. You will be responsible for everything that "falls between two stools" I.E when one trade finishes and another starts there is always something. Like coring holes for electrical/mechanical items to the outside for example.
    3. Once the rising walls are up, pour your paths.
    4. If you have a shed or garage, build this first. You wouldn't believe the hassle this will save you from doing stupid things like moving materials from room to room.
    5. Speak to a QS and pay for a full bill of quantities. You can use this to "Tender" your trades and also to keep an eye on costs.
    6. Get to Learn the Technical Guidance Documents for building. They should be your bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Tefral wrote: »
    1. Make sure all rooms are divisible by 1200mm x 2400mm. All sheet material comes in this size and you will incur significant wastage in materials if you don't

Top bit of advice this one

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rallo

Guys, thank you very much for your comments, thoughts, advice, etc. Please see below my responses:-
    I have mortgage approved, I am selling my existing home so its not a full mortgage. I am budgeting €420k for completion.
    I am in the process of a final revision of the design to get it under 260 sq/m. (Then final submission).

Sorry for the confusion, I am going the contractor route not self build.. typo.
    I plan to hire a contractor to bring it up to builders finish. I will manage the rest myself.

1. Do you need 280m2?.............................................. No, as above
    2. What size family have you?...................................... There are five of us and a bun in the oven
    3. What type of heating system are you going for?.......... Under floor up and down stairs, geothermal. Heat recovery.
    4. Have you got an M&E plan done up?.......................... No, I will be working on it over the coming months.
    5. Do you have any building knowledge?........................ Some but going contractor route
    6. If you are not in the building trade how do you intend to procure your trades... Hiring contractor
    7. Have you engaged the services of a Quantity Surveyor?.. Not yet, I have been considering it... Is it money well spent?

1. Make sure all rooms are divisible by 1200mm x 2400mm. All sheet material comes in this size and you will incur significant wastage in materials if you don't. - Timber sheets, Insulation, Tiles, Floor coverings etc etc
    That is absolutely the best advice i have ever got. Thank you.
    5. Speak to a QS and pay for a full bill of quantities. You can use this to "Tender" your trades and also to keep an eye on costs.
    6. Get to Learn the Technical Guidance Documents for building. They should be your bible.

Noted, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Self building you say? I am going to assume you are not in the construction industry, so forgive me if you are and this sounds like a condescending post.

Couple of questions:

1. Do you need 280m2?
    2. What size family have you?
    3. What type of heating system are you going for?
    4. Have you got an M&E plan done up?
    5. Do you have any building knowledge?
    6. If you are not in the building trade how do you intend to procure your trades
    7. Have you engaged the services of a Quantity Surveyor?

2. You will be responsible for everything that "falls between two stools" I.E when one trade finishes and another starts there is always something. Like coring holes for electrical/mechanical items to the outside for example.
    3. Once the rising walls are up, pour your paths.
    4. If you have a shed or garage, build this first. You wouldn't believe the hassle this will save you from doing stupid things like moving materials from room to room.

Point 3 of your advice there, what is the purpose of this? Interested as i will be starting building soon.

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Point 3 of your advice there, what is the purpose of this? Interested as i will be starting building soon.

I find alot of people start the design process of their houses and submit for planning through an Architect who puts very little thought into the M&E side of things and as a result the lovely Utility that your wife is dreaming of becomes half a plant room.

If you are going down the oil route you have to think about where you will place your tank and boiler. Same with Gas if not connected to a serviced mains.

If your using Air to Water or Geothermal these require a small plant room for manifolds, etc. The tanks can be quite large also. Then there is the pressurised water system. Ideally you would put the pump out in the shed/plant room so that the noise of the pump from someone flushing the toilet at night doesn't wake the house.

So this plant room needs to be one of your top priorities and the size of it needs to match the system you are going with.

Rallo wrote: »
    Guys, thank you very much for your comments, thoughts, advice, etc. Please see below my responses:-
    I have mortgage approved, I am selling my existing home so its not a full mortgage. I am budgeting €420k for completion.
    I am in the process of a final revision of the design to get it under 260 sq/m. (Then final submission).

Sorry for the confusion, I am going the contractor route not self build.. typo.
    I plan to hire a contractor to bring it up to builders finish. I will manage the rest myself.

1. Do you need 280m2?.............................................. No, as above
    2. What size family have you?...................................... There are five of us and a bun in the oven
    3. What type of heating system are you going for?.......... Under floor up and down stairs, geothermal. Heat recovery.
    4. Have you got an M&E plan done up?.......................... No, I will be working on it over the coming months.
    5. Do you have any building knowledge?........................ Some but going contractor route
    6. If you are not in the building trade how do you intend to procure your trades... Hiring contractor
    7. Have you engaged the services of a Quantity Surveyor?.. Not yet, I have been considering it... Is it money well spent?

That is absolutely the best advice i have ever got. Thank you.

Noted, thank you.

The fact you are going down the builder route answers alot of questions really.

How you chose your builder will most likely be through a tender process. Unless you engage a QS to undertake a BOQ, when you get your 5 quotes back, how do you know you are comparing like with like?

A QS will save you his/her fee multiple times over. A contractor is in the business to make money. Every little extra or movement on the job they will be looking to turn the screw, a QS is a buffer against this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rallo

The fact you are going down the builder route answers alot of questions really.

How you chose your builder will most likely be through a tender process. Unless you engage a QS to undertake a BOQ, when you get your 5 quotes back, how do you know you are comparing like with like?

A QS will save you his/her fee multiple times over. A contractor is in the business to make money. Every little extra or movement on the job they will be looking to turn the screw, a QS is a buffer against this.

Thanks Tefral.
    I am going with Geothermal and am currently going though an electrical and plumbing spec but since I am not in the business I will be involving a QS to complete a BOQ.

My original post was to source a template to complete a BOQ myself but a reality check is needed and pay for a QS to do it.

Thanks guys.

I find alot of people start the design process of their houses and submit for planning through an Architect who puts very little thought into the M&E side of things and as a result the lovely Utility that your wife is dreaming of becomes half a plant room.

If you are going down the oil route you have to think about where you will place your tank and boiler. Same with Gas if not connected to a serviced mains.

If your using Air to Water or Geothermal these require a small plant room for manifolds, etc. The tanks can be quite large also. Then there is the pressurised water system. Ideally you would put the pump out in the shed/plant room so that the noise of the pump from someone flushing the toilet at night doesn't wake the house.

So this plant room needs to be one of your top priorities and the size of it needs to match the system you are going with.

Thanks for your reply but I was more wondering about the pouring of the paths one?

• Advertisement

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply but I was more wondering about the pouring of the paths one?

You wouldn't believe the help that having your paths in early will do.

It gives you a final level to do your driveway.
    Stops **** being carried into the house on peoples boots.
    Allows a good base for scaffolding when plastering and painting.

Forces you/contractor to get the drainage done early.

You wouldn't believe the help that having your paths in early will do.

It gives you a final level to do your driveway.
    Stops **** being carried into the house on peoples boots.
    Allows a good base for scaffolding when plastering and painting.

Forces you/contractor to get the drainage done early.

Ok, thanks that willl be noted and i shall take it on board when I go to build next year.

Advertisement