Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley SC loads of units closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

anewme wrote: »
    My point is ive never seen it in an actual shop unit before.

I thought it was outside in the middle of the mall.. it's taking up a whole shop unit now - between that and the Halloween shop, that's 2 kinds of "nothing" filler shops beside each other.

I thought it was always a stall too. Never seen it in an actual shop unit.

Any truth to the rumour that Zara is taking a large unit down there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If no one wants stalls (personally I like them) them what's the issue of a pop-up shop in a shop space?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With the time of the year right before Christmas it's a sign of complete carnage on the horizon for the new year when lots more will close down.

Popup shops? Isn't that normal.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My point is ive never seen it in an actual shop unit before.

I thought it was outside in the middle of the mall.. it's taking up a whole shop unit now - between that and the Halloween shop, that's 2 kinds of "nothing" filler shops beside each other.
    ...and the likelihood is that they are paying rents much lower than their existing long term tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

...and the likelihood is that they are paying rents much lower than their existing long term tenants.

Totally agree.

Also they don't bring any pull for the other shops, e.g., Zara would be a great tenant to attract customers, but the likes of the pop up shops currently there would actually put you off going to that section of the centre. Cheap tat. Grand on a stall as an addition but not in a shop itself.

Its it better empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SaraKJohn

Pippa O'Connor's pop up POCO shop is opening there soon for a few weeks. Will definitely attract a few. People seem to be going nuts over her overpriced jeans and candles.

SaraKJohn wrote: »
    Pippa O'Connor's pop up POCO shop is opening there soon for a few weeks. Will definitely attract a few. People seem to be going nuts over her overpriced jeans and candles.
    I get a feeling that I should know who Pippa O'Connor is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Her husband shared a sunrise picture of her honeymoon bum. And, not connected, but they both have 'American white teeth' teeth. That's kinda all I know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Her brother rode that horse on ped's in the Olympics once.

beauf wrote: »
    Its it better empty?

Suppose it differs you are the tenants or the landlord

while no one wants units empty, Putting in low quality tenants is a way to start a race to the bottom.

I'd heard the Botox place that have a stand in the middle were due to take a unit. Did that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

emo72 wrote: »
    If marks went that end of the centre would be closed off.
    They'd have to keep it open as an entry point for people getting off the bus on the N4.
    EdgeCase wrote: »
    The old classic is with men's shoes that don't go above size 8 or 10 and they look at you like as if they've never encountered anyone who needs size 11.

Then you go online and never come back.
    That shoe shop on the Arran Quay used to be great for large shoes, but even they're gone.
    beauf wrote: »
    Its it better empty?
    Renting it to someone for lower rent may piss off the long term tenants.

=-=

Vue separating itself from the rest of the shopping centre means it'll be able to operate even if the rest of the place goes to sh|t, although it'll need to wall off some of the back area.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'd heard the Botox place that have a stand in the middle were due to take a unit. Did that happen?

All their customers looked very surprised at that development

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

the_syco wrote: »

Vue separating itself from the rest of the shopping centre means it'll be able to operate even if the rest of the place goes to sh|t, although it'll need to wall off some of the back area.

Vue went to ****e when they revamped, Odeon Blanch is vastly better [and cheaper]

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A substantial number of UK chains *will* go under in January. Could be a very grim place then

L1011 wrote: »
    A substantial number of UK chains *will* go under in January. Could be a very grim place then
    Why? What's happening in January?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Don`t know where all the shoppers went this weekend. I was in Carrickmines on Friday evening and it was like a ghost centre. Dundrum did`nt seem busy for traffic either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Debenhams will be gone so and Perkins is at risk. Alot more shops will shut in Blanch after xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Don`t know where all the shoppers went this weekend. I was in Carrickmines on Friday evening and it was like a ghost centre. Dundrum did`nt seem busy for traffic either
    I was in Dundrum late Saturday afternoon, about 5-6pm and it was buzzing, seemed much busier than usual for that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Vue went to ****e when they revamped, Odeon Blanch is vastly better [and cheaper]

I agree that when Vue took over Ster Century it went crap but since the revamp its way better. The staff are friendly and the screens are not bad either. Sure they are a bit soulless but there is a place in town that is even worse now.

January is a very slow month for most places and there is a lot of uncertainty in the UK now as well with Brexit which also means these company's are getting it harder to get loans and funding to keep going.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

So I heard this morning. Very disappointing. Might have to start going into town for choice when shopping.

No harm if it quietens the place down a bit. It's only to be avoided these days, no matter what shops.

Retailers in poor financial condition go pop every January. Hold on to get the cashflow and giftcard sales from Christmas, call in the liquidator/pull down the shutters before the returns and giftcard spends start. If Christmas sales are poor and they were being relied on to keep the lights on that accelerates it. Take a look back at the list of big retailers to close down in recent years and the bulk call in the receivers in January or sometimes even December

A few retailers are clearly already wobbling. UK consumer confidence is in the ditch, the ONS are having to scrabble around to make it look like their economy isn't as bad as it is. Any retailer already suffering is likely to have quite a bad Christmas.

It won't just be normal retail - casual dining is in bits in the UK too and again places will be holding on for Christmas parties and voucher sales. Broke/"Dry" January really hits them hard annually anyway

Don't buy gift cards for Christmas. If you get one from someone, spend it immediately.

A gift card is basically saying to someone that you don't trust them with cash and couldn't think of a present otherwise. Just give them the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I detest Liffey Valley. It's the most dreadful shopping centre. I live very close by but haven't been inside the main centre in over a year. I meet a friend for lunch there once a week and for the past few years that meant walking in the middle doors and straight up the escalator to the food court, avoiding the nightmare shopping area. But since the separate food section opened I don't even have to go that far. I didn't even know so many shops had closed but I'm not surprised to hear that.

I didn't even know so many shops had closed but I'm not surprised to hear that.

The majority of it was one chain pulling all their shops out - they had multiple large two story units in a row.

Then Head Records has been closed since January 2018, think there's one opposite too

http://www.retailresearch.org/whosegonebust.php has UK failures, forgot two of the big names struggled on til February this year!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the_syco wrote: »
    Renting it to someone for lower rent may piss off the long term tenants.
    There is also the problem that the value of the asset is a multiple of the rent you can charge for it.

If rents go down then the unit isn't worth as much on the balance sheet and that affects the credit rating of the landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

FWIW, the queues on the N4 inbound LV exit were unreal last Friday afternoon (4:45PM). Only really see it busier than that around Christmas. People got paid, bank holiday?

Advertisement