Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan Running Costs

Options
  • 25-08-2018 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

My wife and I are starting to talk about buying a campervan. We camp in a tent with our 3 kids and love it. But, the setup and take down is a bit of a pain. We are liking the idea of drive up, connect, camp.

But, we have no idea what it costs to run a campervan.

Firstly, buying one. Anything from 5k to 100k. Is there different finance available for expensive campervans? Or is it like buying a car. 5 years max.

Secondly, tax and insurance. What is it typically for the year?

Thirdly? Maintenance. I know there are less miles done annually so less maintenance?

All advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

AlanD wrote: »
    My wife and I are starting to talk about buying a campervan. We camp in a tent with our 3 kids and love it. But, the setup and take down is a bit of a pain. We are liking the idea of drive up, connect, camp.

But, we have no idea what it costs to run a campervan.

Firstly, buying one. Anything from 5k to 100k. Is there different finance available for expensive campervans? Or is it like buying a car. 5 years max.

Secondly, tax and insurance. What is it typically for the year?

Thirdly? Maintenance. I know there are less miles done annually so less maintenance?

All advice welcome.

I'm going to give you my figures. I sold the van three years ago was intending to upgrade but just tried a few other types of holiday and they haven't worked out so despite the costs I'm going to lay out I'm looking for a van at the minute.

So I paid 18.5k then another 4k in vrt. I sold the van too cheap 8.5 years later for 9k.

We did 55000 kms and averaged 21-22mpg over that time. Approx 16k spent on fuel.

Repairs seemed to come in at 1k a year averaged out.

Insurance is same for everyone under 400€

Ferries are expensive. But we travel hack with the Tesco credit card.

Not cheap but it's lifestyle choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Insurance + tax + test = approx €580

Depending on size and weight Should be able to get 25-35mpg from a modern direct injected diesel eg 2.3 liter multijet. I get 28-31mpg from my 2.8 jtd ducato.

Average motorhome does only 5000 mikes per year.

If stored indoors standing around is less of a problem. Standing around outdoors can lead to rust, seized brake calipers, pitted brake discs, condensation. mildew, standing water can penetrate seams, damage to tyres, other model specific problems like the 250 ducatos tend to dump water from the windscreen scuttle onto the electrics and injectors. They should really be moved regularly we use ours for daytrips all winter. People have this idea thay starting them up and letting them idle is good for them and charges the battery in reality cold idling is bad and does very little towards charging.

Maintenance I do all my own bar needed welding last year I did all the drilling of spotwelds, wirewheeling etc and got a panel beater to weld in the panels. My average maintenance and repairs is about €300 including tyres as I buy genuine old stock parts in ebay for half nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Thanks all, very helpful so far.

I am surprised at the 1k per year maintenance costs. For a vehicle that would do very little mileage, this does seem to be a lot.

The comment about storage and standing water, definitely. We would have a place to keep it in doors thankfully.

In terms of buying from a dealer, new or used, are there finance packages available to help afford them?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Insurance €340 (Dolmen Insurance)
    Tax €102
    CVRT Test €95
    €1000 maintenance a year is a very high estimate. I would say something close to €250, but it all depends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I know there are less miles done annually so less maintenance?

Average motorhome does only 5000 mikes per year.
    For a vehicle that would do very little mileage...

Beware the use of "average mileage" - there's no such thing! I've just arrived home after a spin around the Alps - 3015km this month alone. My "lifetime average" is about 12k per year since purchase, but have done up to 20k in a single year.

Also, the term "running costs" as it's used in respect of the family car doesn't really apply to motorhomes, as your cost of travelling (fuel and ferry fares) will greatly outweigh the annual unavoidable costs (tax/insurance). If they don't, there's probably no point in having a MH! :)

You're also more likely to be replacing things like tyres and timing belts because of age rather than wear.

My figures aren't entirely relevant, as me and the MH live in France (so, for example, no annual tax to pay, and no ferry fares to get the wheels on continental tarmac) but on the trip I've just finished, I spent 450€ on three weeks' worth of diesel, compared to 300€ for a year's insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Of course there is an average and that takes into account use cases such as yours and also the many vans that dont even leave the driveway / storage for the year. Just take a large sample of used vans divide the mileage by age and average.

In my experience new prospective buyers tend to completely overestimate the amount they will use the van and use that fallacy in order to justify the outlay to themselves or their partners. A real world average offers valuable perspective.

In my experience new prospective buyers tend to completely overestimate the amount they will use the van and use that fallacy in order to justify the outlay to themselves or their partners. A real world average offers valuable perspective.

I don't disagree with that - but that's exactly why I say that talking about "average" is irrelevant. The OP is obviously the "camping type" and upgrading from a tent, so will probably get reasonable use out of the 'van.
    However, that's when the fixed costs of tax/insurance/NCT/etc also start to become irrelevant - the real "running costs" are mileage-related fuel and servicing, ferry fares, campsite fees, class-2 (or class-3) tolls, extra bus journeys ...

@OP - We upgraded from self-catering (with 4 children) to a MH 15 years ago. We bought new (with factory modifications to the original design, at my request) and haven't ever regretted it. The most useful thing we did back then was bring all the children with us when we went to view every vehicle, and had them climb all over the place.

Based on that experience (and the 15 years since!) I'd find it very hard to justify buying new today. Most of today's models seem to be aimed at two senior citizens tootling along from site to site, and not well-adapted to the needs of an energetic family.

The downside of buying a "better" older model is their (alleged) pollution status, which will see you kept out of an increasing number of continental towns and cities, if you're coming over this a-way.

All great feedback. Thanks all!

The part that I'm struggling with is the purchase price. They are not cheap.

We went to look at some 2nd hands, ranging from 25k to 50k. Apart from the year, they all looked in great nick.

So how do you justify landing 25k or more on a vehicle you will use a few times per year.

Perhaps I should look at it differently?

But looking at the borrowing costs.... 100 per 5k borrowed is about right. So 500 per month for an average camper. 6k per year plus additional expense. Let's say 8k per year.

We don't spend 8k annually on holidays today.

We want one but it seems so incredibly expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

We went to look at some 2nd hands, ranging from 25k to 50k. Apart from the year, they all looked in great nick.

So how do you justify landing 25k or more on a vehicle you will use a few times per year.

But looking at the borrowing costs.... 100 per 5k borrowed is about right. So 500 per month for an average camper. 6k per year plus additional expense. Let's say 8k per year.

We bought n sold a camper, ended up getting a caravan, found it way less expensive to maintain, and leaves you free to use the car, the packing up the camper to do anything we found tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

gally74 wrote: »
    We bought n sold a camper, ended up getting a caravan, found it way less expensive to maintain, and leaves you free to use the car, the packing up the camper to do anything we found tough

https://youtu.be/34BB8-P35Ls

• Advertisement

gally74 wrote: »

We are giving this some consideration. But the thing turning is off is the slow driving.

Maybe it's not that big a deal.

You don't! :cool:

Seriously, if you're only going to use a MH a few times a year, it's a dubious investment, and definitely not worth borrowing for.

We sold our house and bought a mid-priced MH (£42k, ~60k€ at the time) with some of the proceeds, with the intention of living in it while we went looking for somewhere new to live. Subsequently, when we became "settled" again, we used it several times a year going to festivals and other events where we'd want to stay overnight. More recently, in addition to festival fun, I use it to allow me to work away from home and travel further away. All-in-all, it gets about 20-30 weeks' use a year.
    the thing turning is off is the slow driving.

Maybe it's not that big a deal.
    Well, no not really. When you realise how much extra fuel you burn trying to push a MH through the air at 110kmh, you'll soon slow down to caravan speed! :D

They are expensive. I am spreadsheet anal retentive nerd. You will struggle to justify one financially but the way you are counting it by multiplying out the loan payments isn't right.

You won't know really what it costs a year until you sell it.....cause you'll get a big chunk back to offset against to purchase price.

I think owning one in a family or two couples is a great way to reduce the costs. But can everyone agree. I cant find anyone that will agree to it, they would rather talk about buying one and never do or have it sit in the driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

hotels work out cheaper

hotels work out cheaper

This guy is right.

If cost is the only consultation unless you live in it. Forget about a campervan.

You don't! :cool:

Seriously, if you're only going to use a MH a few times a year, it's a dubious investment, and definitely not worth borrowing for.

We sold our house and bought a mid-priced MH (£42k, ~60k€ at the time) with some of the proceeds, with the intention of living in it while we went looking for somewhere new to live. Subsequently, when we became "settled" again, we used it several times a year going to festivals and other events where we'd want to stay overnight. More recently, in addition to festival fun, I use it to allow me to work away from home and travel further away. All-in-all, it gets about 20-30 weeks' use a year.

Well, no not really. When you realise how much extra fuel you burn trying to push a MH through the air at 110kmh, you'll soon slow down to caravan speed! :D

Well put. Our realistic use is 4-5 times per year. It's be cheaper to rent one.

Or I'm coming around to the thought of a caravan

hotels work out cheaper

Hotels are cheaper yes. But there is something wonderful about camping. No TV, no usual life distractions.

We love our tent, but setup and take down is not our idea of fun.

Well put. Our realistic use is 4-5 times per year. It's be cheaper to rent one.
    You need to think in terms of "nights away" rather than "times" ;) as the real benefit (=cost saving) of having a campervan comes from being able to move from place to place. However, getting to your starting point can be prohibitively expensive. Do a dummy booking on Irish Ferries to see what the fare alone would cost and then think about adding fuel and tolls; that'll give you a good point of reference for the financial side of things.

Hotels are cheaper yes. But there is something wonderful about camping. No TV, no usual life distractions.

These days, you have dozens of options for staying in "anything but a hotel" accommodation - yurts, tree-houses, crannógs, aeroplanes ... - as well as more traditional options like self-catering. As previously mentioned, we did that for many years before AirBnB came on the scene, and stayed in some great places for very little cost - e.g. a chalet in Austria, a cottage in the Cotswolds, a converted pig-sty in Tuscany. For our children, who had no TV at home, it was quite a novelty to sit in front of the moving pictures after a long day out-and-about! :D

Advertisement