Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mt Leinster Mast - too much for me

Options
  • 25-08-2018 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Nine stones to Mt Leinster, very pleasant, fan views, excellent road surface - bliss. But then I tried the bit to the Mast, again excellent surface but gradient got me. Did first bit but seeing the last rise to the Mast made me (shamefully) turn around. I've done some legendary climbs and today was a first. Is it just me or have others had the same experience??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

never cycled...whats the average gradient?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

according to Strava from the barrier to the mast

https://www.strava.com/segments/700788 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

From the ground, up to the 9 stones and up to the top is more than half the Tourmalet

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In fairness, it's one of the toughest climbs in the country and you have to do a good bit of climbing just to get to the gates to the mast road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Similar experience on priest's leap limb. 3 attempts now.:
    1 had to stop half way and turn back to admit defeat, 2 other times made the top but stopped along the way. New gearing on current bike and itching to get back and make it in 1 go.
    BGT wrote: »
    Nine stones to Mt Leinster, very pleasant, fan views, excellent road surface - bliss. But then I tried the bit to the Mast, again excellent surface but gradient got me. Did first bit but seeing the last rise to the Mast made me (shamefully) turn around. I've done some legendary climbs and today was a first. Is it just me or have others had the same experience??

• Advertisement

Similar experience on priest's leap limb. 3 attempts now.:....
    I managed Priest's Leap on the first attempt (from Cork side) without putting a foot down but it's insanely difficult. By far the most difficult I've ever done and a climb I've no desire ever to return to. It has to be much worse than Mount Leinster but other's disagree. It also has a much crappier surface than Mount Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I managed Priest's Leap on the first attempt (from Cork side) without putting a foot down but it's insanely difficult. By far the most difficult I've ever done and a climb I've no desire ever to return to. It has to be much worse than Mount Leinster but other's disagree. It also has a much crappier surface than Mount Leinster.

Mount Leinster is harder. There is no let up, there is downhill sections on PL which allow recovery from the ramps.

Climbing those things is primarily in the head. I'm 83kg or so and not much of a climber but I've done all those climbs on very long days. ML was halfway into a 250km spin and PL was done twice on 300km audax.

Being stubborn and eating elephant one bite at a time are what you really need.

OP you didn't climb it this time, get stronger and go back before winter and do it. Be careful on descent it's not simple

ford2600 wrote: »
    .... there is downhill sections on PL which allow recovery from the ramps...
    I think that's what makes it more difficult - I'd prefer a constant steep gradient.

(I wouldn't call them' downhills' as such, more like a short plummet before the next 20%+ ramp! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

The climb up the access road to the Mt. Leinster mast is an absolute beast. It was the closest I've come in years to having to bail on a climb, but I couldn't, I was the fascination of various groups of walkers. Nearly put my back out trying to haul the 39x25 to the top. I found it much more difficult than either side of Priests Leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

Plastik wrote:
    The climb up the access road to the Mt. Leinster mast is an absolute beast. It was the closest I've come in years to having to bail on a climb, but I couldn't, I was the fascination of various groups of walkers. Nearly put my back out trying to haul the 39x25 to the top. I found it much more difficult than either side of Priests Leap.

Ouch....unless you 20kg....your knees hate you for going up in a 39x25 🀣😂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Tis on my bucket list. Had notions of staying down there and cycling home across Wicklow taking it slieve Mann, Glenmalure Military Road and Kippure all on in one day. I very quickly talked myself out of it having struggled up cursing on lovers leap and more so on stepaside lane

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Tried it on both the road bike and the MTB the climb isn't particularly enjoyable on either but the offroad down on the MTB is bliss. I would imagine the down on the road bike wouldn't be much fun unless you've a serious pair of plumbs you'll be on the brakes the majority of the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ford2600 wrote: »
    Be careful on descent it's not simple

Looks straightforward enough :pac:

loyatemu wrote: »

There's a nasty cattle grid half way down that you will hit at speed and it's not your typical cattle grid this thing would keep elephants out the gaps are that wide.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    There's a nasty cattle grid half way down that you will hit at speed and it's not your typical cattle grid this thing would keep elephants out the gaps are that wide.
    It also has several metal strips which run in the direction of travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

loyatemu wrote: »

The scurrying pedestrians would beg to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Walked up to the mast last week... Tough even on foot.

I shall return some day on the bike!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The descent video would put me off. I'd be going a hell of a lot slower than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Weepsie wrote: »
    The descent video would put me off. I'd be going a hell of a lot slower than that.

See here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86140300&postcount=7

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Davyation

I cycled up to the Mount Leinster mast this summer and it was terribly hard going in a 42x23. It turned out to be great craic though as there was a school tour walking up to the mast, and I had kids running alongside, cheering and clapping (totally taking the pi$$). Other than that I'd probably have turned around :')

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Davyation wrote: »
    it was terribly hard going in a 42x23
    you don't say!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

It's my white whale - the only climb I've ever had to dismount on. I shall return!

The surface is much better now than in that footage.
    I cycled up to the Mount Leinster mast this summer and it was terribly hard going in a 42x23....
    42x23! :eek: Sweet mother of Jesus!

And I was in awe of Sean Kelly getting over the Gap of Mamore in a 42x21 and it wouldn't be as difficult as Mount Leinster.

I suppose someone will be along shortly who did it on a fixie.

I cycled up to the Mount Leinster mast this summer and it was terribly hard going in a 42x23. It turned out to be great craic though as there was a school tour walking up to the mast, and I had kids running alongside, cheering and clapping (totally taking the pi$$). Other than that I'd probably have turned around :')

Either these are yours or you're telling porky pies :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZ_bVRnd7UtKIyyzo55YYabCGKiEWSo3djWAT6AVKR1eZBHvTq

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The scurrying pedestrians would beg to differ.

Yeah... I dunno, I feel if you are sharing a route like that with walkers you should be considerate and not almost plough through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I cycled to the mast a couple of summers ago, I didn't put a foot down but I was zig zagging back and forth for about 5mins.

Toughest climb I've done- I was doing a fair bit of club and open racing at the time so was in pretty good shape for it. There's a bit of a mental barrier to get over as well as it's so bad at times.

View off the top was great.

The descent is no fun at all especially if like me you're a bit yellow. Bike just takes off as soon as you release the brakes.

No chance I'd make it up there at the moment without stopping and walking.

mt_leinster.jpg

Looking down over The Blackstairs and Brandon Hill off to the right background

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I haven't done Mt. Leinster but I did manage to struggle up Mhionnain (aka Minaun) in Achill Island once - Strava link. It looks a little less steep than Mt. Leinster but longer.

459529.jpg

Anyone out there done both? I'd be interested in the comparison.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Alek and I descended in the rain, our disc rotors were red hot at the bottom..pretty terrifying descent :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

route66 wrote: »
    I haven't done Mt. Leinster but I did manage to struggle up Mhionnain (aka Minaun) in Achill Island once - Strava link. It looks a little less steep than Mt. Leinster but longer.

459529.jpg

Anyone out there done both? I'd be interested in the comparison.

I've also done Minaun, hardest climb I've ever done and it was the second day of a Connemara/achill tour which really didn't help as I was knackered. Didn't even get to put a foot down as I just fell straight over..... One of my embarrassing moments as a car was behind me. I will definitely be back to take it on again.

I have only walked up to the Mt Leinster mast and even that was a struggle personally I'd say the Mt Leinster climb is alot harder due to the fact the amount of climbing needed to get to the gate alone and then the steepness of the climb to, and it's relentless, on Minaun there's abit of a rest after the first long step section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the "toughest climb in Ireland" spreadsheet has Mt Leinster at #1 and Minaun at #3:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ElqKjY8GMgqLqbtfFJYW0lnKTf3_LgZ5r0zxwAm6wS0/edit#gid=0

Advertisement