Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mt Leinster Mast - too much for me

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Looking down over The Blackstairs and Mount Brandon off to the right background
    Mount Brandon? Isn't that in Kerry? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

yep, you're right. I should've said Brandon Hill. Highest point in Kilkenny going by a quick search.

I'll go back and update it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Weirdview

You can see for miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Consey

Did Mt Leinster a few years ago on the Trek 1.2. Just about kept the cranks turning. Biggest downside (literally) was coming back down, as the Sora brakes could not hold the bike back.... Or maybe that was my bulk....

Did the Priests Leap from both sides albeit on a better bike. Found Mt Leinster harder and more unrelenting.

Again, I found the descents of Priests Leap scary......

Know a strong cyclist who has completed the Marmotte etc and who has yet to conquer Mt Leinster after 3 attempts...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    I've also done Minaun, hardest climb I've ever done and it was the second day of a Connemara/achill tour which really didn't help as I was knackered. Didn't even get to put a foot down as I just fell straight over..... One of my embarrassing moments as a car was behind me. I will definitely be back to take it on again.

I have only walked up to the Mt Leinster mast and even that was a struggle personally I'd say the Mt Leinster climb is alot harder due to the fact the amount of climbing needed to get to the gate alone and then the steepness of the climb to, and it's relentless, on Minaun there's abit of a rest after the first long step section.

Relentless, that's actually how I described it to anyone that asked afterwards. I didn't even get to enjoy the views at the top because the cloud was down. The descent is equally as tricky but for different reasons, conscious of now wanting to melt the brake blocks, but when you release the brake you pick up speed at an ungodly rate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just remembered I grinded my way up Greenhow hill (in Yorkshire) last year on a rental bike. Easily the hardest bit of uphill I've ever done, it's close to 25% in places. So maybe, I could take this on with a lower gear at the back. Wouldn't go downhill there. There's a few blind sideroads and a brick wall that has been crashed into by a few cyclists.

https://veloviewer.com/segments/6690987

https://www.strava.com/segments/6690987

Even Bradley Wiggins struggled on it

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/sir-bradley-wiggins-abandons-stage-one-tour-de-yorkshire-223232

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I did minaun last month. Cruel. It just goes on and on. It was a cracking day and the views are breathtaking. Coming down is nerve shredding. Bike just zips away when you ease off the brakes. Loads of sheep around which makes it more treacherous

Advertisement