Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many people do you have on ignore?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I’ve nobody on ignore mainly because I can’t be arsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know one poster has me on ignore for certain(and I know they are more).
    They took a screen shot saying you ignore this user and then posted in a comment.
    Then deleted it straight away. I'm not sure that they relies I can see deleted comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭indioblack

Cleopatra_ wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, I just wondered how many people do ye have on ignore. Well I guess if you have me on ignore you won't be able to see this post! :p

I don't have anyone on ignore, even if someone annoys me I still prefer to see what they have to say. I wouldn't rule it out though if someone was persistently bothering me.
    I've never put anyone on ignore. If I can't read their posts, how do I know if they're talking about me?
    [Who's paranoid].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Testing one, two, three, testing. Copy that?

Loud and clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

They took a screen shot saying you ignore this user and then posted in a comment.
    Then deleted it straight away. I'm not sure that they relies I can see deleted comments.
    They want to RUN before they can TODDLE in the scheme of online discussion forums. The sugar has gone straight to the head. Pure Hubris.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

erica74 wrote: »
    How do you check? I'd say I have around 20 on there, maybe more. Between the abortion referendum thread and the pope thread, there's been a lot of crazies that I've had to make disappear. One of the best things about the mobile site is that when you put someone on ignore, they disappear, none of this "x has posted" stuff, they basically vanish into thin air, and rightly so:cool:

Just checked, 34 on my ignore list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

No idea and don't know how you check. There's 3 that I know of but there's probably a few more.

And from posts today I know 1 of my 2 is among your list.

• Advertisement

And from posts today I know 1 of my 2 is among your list.

And one that is long overdue being on mine too.

Patww79 wrote: »
    And one that is long overdue being on mine too.

Someone has to be able to point out their nonsense though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

There should have been a poll with this.
    Like so:

<10 people on ignore: a nice boardsie

<100 people on ignore: boardsie who plays it safe

<200 people : boardsie is pussyfoot

>200 people on ignore: boardsie is cliquey and prurient. That's me. I'm classy!😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Why is the opening post on this empty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Dont know the exact figure.

I block Nazi sympathisers, but as no one claims to be one, it must be 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

Danzy wrote: »
    Why is the opening post on this empty?

Already been done, you can actually put me on ignore now :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You might as well start your own blog.

Insane. What’s the point. Are you here to agree with people who agree with you.

Come on. This isn’t an American campus. It’s an Irish Internet forum - standards are higher. Debate is encouraged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

I have no one on mine's either, its not something I ever think about.

You might as well start your own blog.

Insane. What’s the point. Are you here to agree with people who agree with you.

Come on. This isn’t an American campus. It’s an Irish Internet forum - standards are higher. Debate is encouraged.

Don't fret, you're not on it... yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Cleopatra_ wrote: »
    Already been done, you can actually put me on ignore now :p

I shall promptly move on to the You are talking to a Forester thread and ask him if he feels like he sometime can't see the wood for the trees.

It surely will be gone as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

34 :eek:

To me that seems like you are creating your own little echo chamber.

None on my ignore list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

This sense of one ignoring one another is ridiculously annoying. If one thinks another is ignoring him/her please think again what might the reason the other individual is ignoring you. They could have gotten a job perviously they haven't had before or maybe are working longer hours than pervious and aren't in contact as much as you would like them to be. Then it turns into a a game of you purposely ignoring them and the other person becomes very confused.

Don't fret, you're not on it... yet.

I dont care. Don’t even recogise you as a poster. Just don’t see the point.

I mean a quick search sees you answering somebody who is ignored by you because someone else quoted her. She then can’t reply in a way that you can see. So your ignore doesn’t block her from you (because of the quote system) but it blocks her from replying to you in a way you can see, unless that too is quoted.

Pointless.

(Given her age and infirmities I’d give that poster some leeway too.)

Danzy wrote: »
    I shall promptly move on to the You are talking to a Forester thread and ask him if he feels like he sometime can't see the wood for the trees.

It surely will be gone as well.

That’s been done a few times. And he answered it. He can in fact see the woods for the trees.

No surprise there as trees are literally made of wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Just the one.

I don't necessarily dislike them. Don't even really disagree with their view, but, their posts (on the thread I encountered them the most) always struck me as humblebragging and every time I read them I was rolling my eyes. They seem to be universally liked by others who interact with them so this is definitely a me thing.

Several I disagree with and even dislike but I choose not to ignore them because I think choosing to ignore somone with a different view is why echo chambers are now such a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I don't have anyone on ignore as i don't spend too much time here so it makes no difference. I have better things to be doing rather than making lists of bold people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Never had anyone on ignore. There have been a few posters over the years whose views annoyed me in a few forums I browsed it.

I mean a quick search sees you answering somebody who is ignored by you because someone else quoted her. She then can’t reply in a way that you can see. So your ignore doesn’t block her from you (because of the quote system) but it blocks her from replying to you in a way you can see, unless that too is quoted.

Pointless.

So if I have someone on ignore they can't reply to me? Is it not the other way around? I can't see their posts but they can see mine. I can reply to them but they won't see the reply.

Are you Laoise O Neill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Wow ... are there even 34 people on Boards these days? :o

Seriously do threads not end up making little sense to you, with so many blocked?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

always thought people who go to the hassle of ignoring posters are childish and a bit precious.

although I don't use twitter I heard on Twitter the righteous had something called repeal-shield where they could block users who were listed as being pro-life...
    to me it only adds to the echo chamber and kinda defeats the purpose of discussion and debate.

• Advertisement

Pointless.

Long post for someone who doesn't care.

Wow ... are there even 34 people on Boards these days? :o

Seriously do threads not end up making little sense to you, with so many blocked?!

They seem to have a huge sense of self importance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you Laoise O Neill?

Who is Laoise O Neill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

i'd love some posters to list their ignore list.....and explain why.....

please....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

paw patrol wrote: »

please....
    No chance

Their posts (on the thread I encountered them the most) always struck me as humblebragging and every time I read them I was rolling my eyes.

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

No idea, maybe none. I just ignore people the old fashioned way. You don't have to read or reply to stuff.

Who is Laoise O Neill?

Is a a leading feminist in Cork and has wrote several books.
    She also blooms everybody online who doesn't agree with her.

always thought people who go to the hassle of ignoring posters are childish and a bit precious.

although I don't use twitter I heard on Twitter the righteous had something called repeal-shield where they could block users who were listed as being pro-life...
    to me it only adds to the echo chamber and kinda defeats the purpose of discussion and debate.

I never got the point of that either. Do these people ignore any relative that has a different view to them as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Three on ignore, two are from one of the repeal threads. Who I'll bet are on a lot of other women's lists as well.
    The third is more of an annoyance then ignore, but there isn't a 'see selected posts from' option.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Nobody. I really don't see the point of it.

please....

I'd say 3/4 of my list is posters from the abortion referendum threads. Out of 34 posters on my ignore list, 25+ are probably from that thread but to be fair, there's probably a lot of rereg muppets in there so we're probably not talking about 25 different posters.
    Those threads were full of crazies and it got to a point where I could no longer read the posts of people who believe girls and women who have been raped should be forced to continue with a pregnancy. I'm not going to get into a debate here about views on abortion, I'd say we've all had enough of that.

I don't see the big deal. There's currently just under 600 posters in AH alone, 34 is a minuscule number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Chewbacca wrote: »
    14 and rising.

Some are in this thread.

So if I have someone on ignore they can't reply to me? Is it not the other way around? I can't see their posts but they can see mine. I can reply to them but they won't see the reply.

I may have phrased that awkwardly. They can quote you but you you can’t see it unless somebody else quotes it.

Your reply to someone you ignore will be visible to them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

10. A good round number.

• Advertisement

Long post for someone who doesn't care.

No I don’t care if you block me. I do care that some posters create their own echo chamber. Everybody does that abd it’s a mess.

Although I am thinking of ignoring people on this thread who proudly display their high ignore rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

None.

I always presumed it didn't exist for any useful purpose further than telling people you've put them on it when you're having a pissy fit.

Chewbacca wrote: »

That’s 5 a month since you joined. You’ll have ignored everybody in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

To be fair to Erica74, some people just think that life is too short to be annoyed and sometimes it's easier to just not see posts from someone that you know will annoy you. Sure I definitely feel the need to roll my eyes at some posters and I'm sure they feel the same way about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Just 1. I enjoy their posts but then they sent me pervy pm's. Too old for that kinda sh1te now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement