Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flying

• 26-08-2018 2:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭

What is it about flying (including pre, post and during) that makes SOME people lose all sense of normality/logic/manners?

Example, we recently came back from holidays and, as on every flight, we were told to wait until the plane came to a complete stop before unfastening seatbelts etc., you know the drill. However, this didn't stop 2 people from not just undoing their seatbelts, but to actually attempt to start taking out their overhead luggage, which lead to the air hostess roaring at them to sit down, twice. This is an extreme example but I'm always fascinated/amused when planes do land, 95% of people get up and stand there for ages before being allowed to get off....we're not going anywhere fast so what's the rush (maybe that's just me).

There are other things too but I'm too tired/tipsy. There are di*ks in every walk of life, I'm just always surprised they all wind up in the same spot at the same time :D

TBF, there was also an extremely irritated child on the flight who didn't stop crying all the way over. However, nobody said anything and I think there was genuine empathy for the parents who were obviously stressed. My faith was slightly restored.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

santino wrote: »

TBF, there was also an extremely irritated child on the flight who didn't stop crying all the way over. However, nobody said anything and I think there was genuine empathy for the parents who were obviously stressed. My faith was slightly restored.

Cheers.

Ah for feck sake. Why didn't the rest of the plane band together to write a strongly worded letter to hand to the child to convince him to stop crying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I never understood the rush to queue to get off the plane.

We'll all be waiting at the baggage carousel for awhile anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

santino wrote: »

Cheers.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,214 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

People be stupid. Especially at airports.

Your Face wrote: »
    I never understood the rush to queue to get off the plane.

We'll all be waiting at the baggage carousel for awhile anyway.

Plenty of people like myself rarely check-in baggage, even for multi-week holidays, but the biggest thing in many countries is the visa queue. In Hanoi, stopping at the toilet before getting your application in could cost you half an hour.

Flying from Vietnam to Macau at night was quite the experience.. People charging to the front of the plane while it was still going 100kmph down the runway. Then the air hostesses managing to get everyone back but then more people ran up behind them meaning they couldn't get to the front to even open the doors. Eventually the captain managed to get out, squeeze through and get it opened really late. After that, everyone charged at the visa queues and people started skipping straight to the front. I ended up standing with my arms out at both sides blocking them and shouting at them in Vietnamese, which actually stopped all of it.

It was a really mad experience and all because everyone knows Macau's visa queue is really slow, especially after flights from a country with such a weak passport. It was like a microcosm of societal collapse where everyone was out for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Plenty of people like myself rarely check-in baggage, even for multi-week holidays, but the biggest thing in many countries is the visa queue. In Hanoi, stopping at the toilet before getting your application in could cost you half an hour.

Flying from Vietnam to Macau at night was quite the experience.. People charging to the front of the plane while it was still going 100kmph down the runway. Then the air hostesses managing to get everyone back but then more people ran up behind them meaning they couldn't get to the front to even open the doors. Eventually the captain managed to get out, squeeze through and get it opened really late. After that, everyone charged at the visa queues and people started skipping straight to the front. I ended up standing with my arms out at both sides blocking them and shouting at them in Vietnamese, which actually stopped all of it.

It was a really mad experience and all because everyone knows Macau's visa queue is really slow, especially after flights from a country with such a weak passport. It was like a microcosm of societal collapse where everyone was out for themselves.

Cool story, then what happened?

Your Face wrote: »
    Cool story, then what happened?

I met my brother and played some poker. I've a massive hangover right now so ignore my ramblings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

If you're transferring and the flight is late landing, it can be vital to get off the plane as fast as you can. If that happens to me, and going transatlantic that's very often the case, I'm up as quick as I reasonably can do I can run to the next gate. I suppose for others getting up quick is just psychological, you feel like you're making progress in what is often an arseache of a process.

Or maybe they just want to stretch their legs after a long flight. Personally if I'm not transferring, being tall means standing is horrible, you're tilting your neck and standing there like a prick for about ten minutes while they get the door open to get the fart smell out of the place. And getting in someone else's way who might be in more of a hurry than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

But more importantly, did you notice that the packet of peanuts on the airplane were really small? I mean... what's the deal with that?

Advertisement