Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another homeless story of Nine

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

By clicking on the link, you are feeding 'the story'.
    Ignore the link ................ and the Independent will stop with these types of "news events".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/were-living-in-fear-family-of-nine-facing-homelessness-as-vulture-fund-repossesses-landlords-house-37241657.html

More public manipulation. Family described as 9 kids... might have to sleep in a car. One of the "kids" is 23. Lol

From the article
    A family of nine
    They have seven children, aged 7 to 23
    The council are telling us to move back up to Dublin but our families can't have us and seven kids move in

Not once is the 23 year old referred to as a "kid". In fact, it looks to me like you're the one trying (and failing) to be manipulative.

The actual story is that they have been given 7 days notice to find a new place to live as the Landlord lost the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Lot's of young folks,23 and older, are living at home now. They work, but struggle with rent/mortgage /cost of living.

I have one of my kids living at home (bought and paid for) .

I know he hate's it. I pray it never get's him down.

I got on the property ladder aged twenty.

This kid has a better job/better education than I had back then.

Btw, these folks in the article are getting evicted despite meeting their rent requirements!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

So the landlord told them last YEAR that the property was being seized and they wait until the last minute and then whine to a gullible media?

Another stupid publicity stunt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Lot's of young folks,23 and older, are living at home now. They work, but struggle with rent/mortgage /cost of living.

I have one of my kids living at home (bought and paid for) .

I know he hate's it. I pray it never get's him down.

I got on the property ladder aged twenty.

This kid has a better job/better education than I had back then.

Btw, these folks in the article are getting evicted despite meeting their rent requirements!

Ah here gway with facts.

Something something dole, something taxpayers, etc.

• Advertisement

You must understand that the hysterical sensationalist media will never ever ever ever ever give the FACTS.

As if they did, the hysterical headlines could not be written.

This family were given notice LAST YEAR, not lsdt week. They chose to ignore it and play the game.

They blinked first and lost.

Zero pity for them. Several properties available in the area at reasonable rent.

These are just lazy whining publicity seekers and some suckers are taken in by the bullsh1t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

CeilingFly wrote: »
    You must understand that the hysterical sensationalist media will never ever ever ever ever give the FACTS.

This family were given notice LAST YEAR, not lsdt week. They chose to ignore it and play the game.

Zero pity for them. Several properties available in the area at reasonable rent.

These are just lazy whining publicity seekers and some suckers are taken in by the bullsh1t
    You forgot to mention dole/welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/were-living-in-fear-family-of-nine-facing-homelessness-as-vulture-fund-repossesses-landlords-house-37241657.html

More public manipulation. Family described as 9 kids... might have to sleep in a car. One of the "kids" is 23. Lol

Don't usually entertain these types of article's, but I think you scanned the article without fully reading or understanding what was being said.

Nowhere in the article does it describe a 23 year old as a kid - that seems to be your imaginative add on.

The family were meeting rental obligations, it seems the property is being repossessed by vulture funds company due to problems that the landlord has encountered.

Facepalm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

On a housing list since 2009. Have they been offered nothing in near ten years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭enricoh

Landlord told them the craic with repossession last year, they did nothing about it.
    Got aaa/pbp and the media onboard instead of getting off their hole last year n finding new gaff. Zero sympathy from me.

• Advertisement

From the article
    The landlord notified Gary and Rhona that the banks had seized the property, and had advised them about his financial difficulties last year.
    "We were here on July 26 when a man came to the door at 6.30pm to hand us a letter saying we had seven days to leave. How are we meant to find somewhere else in that time?

Quite literally the very facts you claim they didn't post.

The article says that the Co. Wexford council has advised them to move to Dublin!

Other threads here are screaming that folks should be moved from Dublin to rural areas because of the bottom line in the cost of rents.

Can you square that circle for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I thought the law was changed last year so that repossessions didn't affect sitting tenants leases / rights. And that they couldn't be kicked out with only a weeks notice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

FUCK THE FUCK OFF WITH YOUR FUCKING GIVE ME EVERYTHING FOR NOTHING BULLSHIT.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    From the article

Quite literally the very facts you claim they didn't post.

It says it in a way that you'd think it was a casual by the by.

The reality is that they HAD to have had eight months notice. Article just seems to forget to say this.

EIGHT MONTHS - and they start looking now.

Utter bullsh1t for the naive suckers who read this sh1trag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Not once is the 23 year old referred to as a "kid". In fact, it looks to me like you're the one trying (and failing) to be manipulative.
    Nowhere in the article does it describe a 23 year old as a kid - that seems to be your imaginative add on.
    Article wrote:
    They have seven children, aged 7 to 23

To be fair, the article is worded to make it sound like they are kids we are talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

How can you be on a housing list whilst meeting your rental obligations? Also if they where given 7 days notice on July 26 what's the story now?

Before the do-gooders start having more pity on these yobs, key "Gary Breen. Ballycanew" into Google.

Does not believe in taxing or insuring his car, known for drunken loutishness and violence.

Would you rent your house to him???

Naos wrote: »
    To be fair, the article is worded to make it sound like they are kids we are talking about.

It really, really isn't. Not unless you're skimming it for buzzwords like the OP did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Because i think in order to get rent allowance (from CWO/HSE/DSW back then) you had to go on social housing list.

• Advertisement

Before the do-gooders start having more pity on these yobs, key "Gary Breen. Ballycanew" into Google.

Does not believe in taxing or insuring his car, known for drunken loutishness and violence.

Not sure if it’s the same person but there’s a story about a Gary Breen slashing someone on the dart and suing the state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Naos wrote: »

It really, really isn't. Not unless you're skimming it for buzzwords like the OP did.

Bull. Children from to implies all are kids

Not really. "They have seven children".

My mother has one child. I'm 33, but she still has one child.

Not sure if it’s the same person but there’s a story about a Gary Breen slashing someone on the dart

Seems the whole country are dreaming of a team of this lad from one to eleven!

Not sure if it's the same person either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

To be honest I’m glad of any article that brings the housing crisis to the fore. The government need to start feeling the heat regarding housing. As for a 23 year old child, unfortunately you won’t get too many 23 year olds who have moved out, as they just can’t afford the rents and are trying to save some kind of deposit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭enricoh

Amazing how his dodgy ticker held up while abusing n threatening the cops! More stress that poor Gary doesn't need ! Cry me a river

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

it sure does and was written with the express intention of giving that impression. if the 23 year is still in full time education they are still a dependant but if not surely they should be on the housing list in their own right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Pretty decent footballer in his time too.

I found one case of drunk and disorderly ,a bit of verbals to guards.

Is that it? A bad night out?

I know "off duty" guards who have done this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

KevinCavan wrote: »
    To be honest I’m glad of any article that brings the housing crisis to the fore. The government need to start feeling the heat regarding housing. As for a 23 year old child, unfortunately you won’t get too many 23 year olds who have moved out, as they just can’t afford the rents and are trying to save some kind of deposit.

This story had literally nothing to do with the housing crisis, other than the fact it's a house they're being booted from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

lawred2 wrote: »

They’re holding out for a 6 bedroom
    House with garage and heated swimming pool (for the kids).

1999 one Gary Breen aged 22 jailed knife crime
    2000 23
    2001 24
    2005 28
    2008 31 sues state for burns
    2012 35
    2018 41

Can’t be the same person could it?

What are the odds there’s another Gary Breen the exact same age as his him in Dublin?

Btw he looks like Simon Covney if he packed in politics and chose a life of crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

More cannon folder for hateful trolls you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

lawred2 wrote:

Not one bit unusual.

I found one case of drunk and disorderly ,a bit of verbals to guards.

Is that it? A bad night out?

I know "off duty" guards who have done this!

Tip of the iceberg.

Any landlord doing a quick reference check would immediately say no to this violent thug.

He msde his bed, he must sleep in it

Would you rent a property to such a shower?

• Advertisement

1999 one Gary Breen aged 22 jailed knife crime
    2000 23
    2001 24
    2005 28
    2008 31 sues state for burns
    2012 35
    2018 41

Can’t be the same person could it?

What are the odds there’s another Gary Breen the exact same age as his him in Dublin?

Btw he looks like Simon Covney if he packed in politics and chose a life of crime.

I cannot see any reference to his age in the article? Are some locals in this thread, locals with knowledge that this article is not conveying?

Or, is it just speculation that the article gives no hint of?

Tip of the iceberg.

Any landlord doing a quick reference check would immediately say no to this violent thug.

I'm just going off the article quoted. I've googled the references given and can only find a drunk fined for verbals! Once.

Tip of the iceberg.

A landlord did for nine consecutive years .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Beside yer man's criminal history there seems to be a bit of a misconception about the rental market outside of Dublin.
    The family moved out of Dublin living there for quite a while. They've quite literally been doing what people constantly say that if you can't afford Dublin move out.
    Just because it's not Dublin doesn't mean that there magically is a selection of rental properties to pick from. Truth is that there's little to nothing to rent down there either and your best bet is that you know a landlord personally and most properties don't come on the market but a family friend or relative or friend of the children rents it.

Landlords in and around Gorey see the opportunity now to sell on and many people are in the same situation this family find themselves in.

Wexford CoCo waiting list is currently 14 years long. Not unusual that the family didn't get offered a place in the last decade.

I cannot see any reference to his age in the article? Are some locals in this thread, locals with knowledge that this article is not conveying?

Or, is it just speculation that the article gives no hint of?

You'd never make detective :)

His insurance conviction gives his age.

It all matches up.

Even a journalist student would be able to find the info - indo group no longer employ journalists in the proper sense of the word.

Less than an hour and posters here have been able to show this is a criminal with a very long list of convictions and yet still one or two are sucked in.

That's sad.

• Advertisement

A landlord did for nine consecutive years .

Wasn't as easy to search for info 9 years ago.

LirW wrote: »
    Beside yer man's criminal history there seems to be a bit of a misconception about the rental market outside of Dublin.
    The family moved out of Dublin living there for quite a while. They've quite literally been doing what people constantly say that if you can't afford Dublin move out.
    Just because it's not Dublin doesn't mean that there magically is a selection of rental properties to pick from. Truth is that there's little to nothing to rent down there either and your best bet is that you know a landlord personally and most properties don't come on the market but a family friend or relative or friend of the children rents it.

Landlords in and around Gorey see the opportunity now to sell on and many people are in the same situation this family find themselves in.

Wexford CoCo waiting list is currently 14 years long. Not unusual that the family didn't get offered a place in the last decade.

The reality is they may never get a council property if he's picking convictions or charge's at that rate .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

If this is the same thug Gary Breen that is coming up in Google searches, I have little sympathy.

You'd never make detective :)

His insurance conviction gives his age.

It all matches up.

Even a journalist student would be able to find the info - indo group no longer employ journalists in the proper sense of the word.

Less than an hour and posters here have been able to show this is a criminal with a very long list of convictions and yet still one or two are sucked in.

That's sad.

In fairness, no poster here has shown anything ! If what you say is true ,no evidence has been shown so far in this thread.

I haven't searched convictions under that name, just the article and references so far in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The reality is they may never get a council property if he's picking convictions or charge's at that rate .

Yep, not disagreeing with that and that's completely on him. The problem is another one though, the family lives rural already and now face homelessness. There are unfortunately children involved so all the bashing about his criminal behaviour doesn't change anything about the actual problem.

Yep, not disagreeing with that and that's completely on him. The problem is another one though, the family lives rural already and now face homelessness. There are unfortunately children involved so all the bashing about his criminal behaviour doesn't change anything about the actual problem.

I'm not doubting you , I'm agreeing with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Wasn't as easy to search for info 9 years ago.

Eh:confused:

I have been using the internet to research things for almost twenty years at this stage.

Did you just hear about the internet 8 years ago or wha?

Whatever the truth here about the man named in this article, the above is the reality.

They seem to be facing eviction because the Landlord defaulted, not the lease holders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Makes you wonder of the characters of these adult homeless people were meant to feel sorry for.

Something tells me I would have zero sympathy forest of them.

Shower of wasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

I'm just going off the article quoted. I've googled the references given and can only find a drunk fined for verbals! Once.

He was driving with no insurance or driving license in another article.

• Advertisement
Advertisement