Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another homeless story of Nine

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

KevinCavan wrote: »
    He was driving with no insurance or driving license in another article.

I haven't seen that, but i'll take your word for it and check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

BTW only one child is mentioned under age /dependant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Eh:confused:

I have been using the internet to research things for almost twenty years at this stage.

Did you just hear about the internet 8 years ago or wha?

Are you saying that it was as easy 9 years ago to access information? Did all the local newspapers upload information about local scum in court

No.

Today they do, hence the information available online now is multiple what was available then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Quotes from another article

'Because of our family size, we can't live in a three-bed council house as it is seen as overcrowding,' said Gary.

The couple contacted councillors and TDs, but received only a handful of replies.

'Cllr Mary Farrell, Cllr Tony Walsh and Minister Michael D'Arcy replied,' said Gary. 'Cllr Farrell and Minister D'Arcy said they would see what social houses were available. Cllr Walsh suggested we approach the media to highlight the situation and guided us in the direction of people who could help.'

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/regionals/goreyguardian/news/family-of-nines-frantic-search-for-new-home-before-being-made-homeless-37212344.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Maybe people should stop breeding like rabbits when they clearly don't have the money to look after their kids themselves, a bit of personal responsibility wouldn't go amiss here.

It doesn't say in the article but I wonder is this guy working?

Also they have known this could be coming down the line since last year, did they just bury their heads in the sand and hope it would all go away?

The rest of us have to deal with problems that life throws at us but some people like these two want to be spoonfed all their lives.

It doesn't say in the article but I wonder is this guy working?

Also they have known this could be coming down the line since last year, did they just bury their heads in the sand and hope it would all go away?

The rest of us have to deal with problems that life throws at us but some people like these two want to be spoonfed all their lives.
    In the article about his violent disorder conviction it says he receives disability benefits as his heart is dodgy.

I'd guess a quick check by an independent consultant would find the heart condition does not exist.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    In the article about his violent disorder conviction it says he receives disability benefits as his heart is dodgy.

I'd guess a quick check by an independent consultant would find the heart condition does not exist.

The dodgy heart doesn't seem to have affected his sex life anyway it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

His disability benefit is awarded on the basis of his GP confirming it , after a consultant identified it and subject to periodic reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

It looks the family has been living off the state/tax payer for years. He probably got free legal aid for his court appearances too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Pretty decent footballer in his time too.

We all dream of a house of Gary Breens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I'm sick and tired of hearing about these kinds of people! I have a good career job and can't afford to move out of my parents house and I have 2 kids! Why are all these people who aren't working being prioritized over the people who are?

Some of those with large families say that they need a house of a certain size because the council doesn't want over crowding. Do the same rules apply to those of us who buy our own homes? Say if I had 6, 7, 8, 9 or even 10 kids. Could I stick 4 in one room with 2 bunk beds? Or even all 10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Breen, of Thomastown Crescent, Sallynoggin, pleaded guilty to 71 offences including assault causing serious harm on the DART on March 16th, 1998.

His crimes included 15 counts of unauthorised taking of vehicles, 10 of criminal damage, two burglaries, one larceny and one robbery. The court was asked to take into account another 41 offences and heard he caused more than £50,000 damage to stolen cars.

The court heard Breen and four others had been drinking beer on the train. They caused mayhem and presented as a "frightening and intimidating lot". A group of men tried to stop them from pestering female passengers. Breen slashed one of the men across the face, leaving a 12cm gash under his ear.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/man-gets-8-years-for-dart-slashing-1.247048?mode=amp

Is this the same guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Wish the media would prefix the article names with "Freeloading" where relevant

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The system is a farce. Th system encourages and rewards this behaviour. This can be changed , human nature and the fact that these people have just learned to live like this from the parents etc, can’t be. Change the system ASAP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Are you saying that it was as easy 9 years ago to access information? Did all the local newspapers upload information about local scum in court

No.

Today they do, hence the information available online now is multiple what was available then.

To be fair, it's rural Ireland. People read the local papers and hone in on any mention of their village. Chances are the landlord was aware from friends and neighbours - "I see the guards were up at your place again", " I see yer man up in court again".

The likes of cash etc are an effect. The cause is the idiocy of government policy ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

LirW wrote: »
    There are unfortunately children involved so all the bashing about his criminal behaviour doesn't change anything about the actual problem.

The state cannot insulate children from the failings of their parents.

shar01 wrote: »
    To be fair, it's rural Ireland. People read the local papers and hone in on any mention of their village. Chances are the landlord was aware from friends and neighbours - "I see the guards were up at your place again", " I see yer man up in court again".

9 years ago he was not a local.

And its almost impossible to get a tenant like that out of your property.

And as usual, the second rate story writer has the headline wrong.

The vulture fund is not threatening prison - the property owner did not pay the mortgage, the owner of the mortgage went to repossess the property, the case was held, repossession was given. The scumbags refused to move out, property owners sought high court writ.

High Court granted it and it is the refusal to obey a high court determination that threatens prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

. if the 23 year is still in full time education they are still a dependant but if not surely they should be on the housing list in their own right.
    and there in is one of the biggest problems in the housing crises , why the f..k should he be on the housing list in his own right .
    YES they will shout and bawl that they are 'entitled'' but they shouldn't be ''entitled'' . That's the biggest problem over the last decades , the criteria to qualify someone to be '' entitled'' has become so twisted that it is seen as the government's job to house every layabout and their kids and then their kids kids .
    When i was younger council housing was seen as a way of low income families getting a roof over their head , now it has cast aside the low income workers in favor of people who seem to breed like rabbits with no sense of how they will make some effort to provide for them except shout about their rights . When are the going to start quoting their responsabilities
    Its also so ironic that the local pbp clown is getting involved , did it never occur to him that maybe if the landlord was making a profit he wouldn't have lost his property and the people would still have a roof over their heads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So when the landlord told them last year that the bank had seized the property, who did they pay rent to?

It’s a good post wexandproud, but again the government have created this joke. They are doing nothing about it. All citizens will push to get as much “entitlements” as they can or use them that are open to them. The government have opened Pandora’s box on this. Not Margaret cash!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So when the landlord told them last year that the bank had seized the property, who did they pay rent to?

I believe they claimed the rent was paid to a management company (open to correction)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer to this....

Why are people on a housing list only in their own County Council area? Surely there should be a National List so that people in need of accommodation could consider somewhere other than their own County? That would be great for those not working for instance. But not contributing is a whole other debate I suppose. Easier to move elsewhere if you don't have to commute for a job!

Maybe there is such a scheme. I dunno.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Housing lists are a matter for local authorities. As it's the local authority that pay the rent allowance/ hap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Housing lists are a matter for local authorities. As it's the local authority that pay the rent allowance/ hap.

Thanks, yes I know that, but with LPT being distributed from one LA to another, my question is, why is there no National list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    I'm sick and tired of hearing about these kinds of people! I have a good career job and can't afford to move out of my parents house and I have 2 kids! Why are all these people who aren't working being prioritized over the people who are?

What were you doing having kids when you couldn't afford to house them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Sonics2k wrote: »
    From the article

Not once is the 23 year old referred to as a "kid". In fact, it looks to me like you're the one trying (and failing) to be manipulative.

The actual story is that they have been given 7 days notice to find a new place to live as the Landlord lost the house.

In your quote on this post the 23 year old is inferred to be a kid.

Fail.

The country is a shambles. Idiotic policy has created a monster that is next to impossible reverse. And yet they want to go further and increase PRSI. Hit the reset button and start again. Scumbags like this guy absolutly playing the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Some of those with large families say that they need a house of a certain size because the council doesn't want over crowding. Do the same rules apply to those of us who buy our own homes? Say if I had 6, 7, 8, 9 or even 10 kids. Could I stick 4 in one room with 2 bunk beds? Or even all 10?
    yes you can put all your kids in one room on bunk beds because you are not a ward of the state. that is, you live by your own wits and provide for yourself. those that can't or won't provide for themselves essentially become the state's children and the state has certain rules for the entitlements and standards it gives it's children (rates of pocket money, safety and quality of accommodation etc). you pay for these entitlements and standards and this money is taken from you before you pay for your own housing or for the needs of your own children.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    In your quote on this post the 23 year old is inferred to be a kid.

Fail.

The country is a shambles. Idiotic policy has created a monster that is next to impossible reverse. And yet they want to go further and increase PRSI. Hit the reset button and start again. Scumbags like this guy absolutly playing the system.

is he / she playing the system, they are "entitled" to it, the government gives them this entitlement...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Before the do-gooders start having more pity on these yobs, key "Gary Breen. Ballycanew" into Google.

Does not believe in taxing or insuring his car, known for drunken loutishness and violence.

Would you rent your house to him???

See:
    GARY BREEN of Puddle Lane in Ballycanew was at Gorey Court to admit driving near his home with no insurance or driving licence.

Solicitor Ed King told Gorey Court that his client was father of ten children with a heart condition drawing disability payments.

A fine of €80 took account of these circumstances. The vehicle was seized by investigating Garda Patrick Malone.

**** OFF.

So he has a kid with some other woman and has been using his inability to wear a johnnie as a get out of jail free card for his life. Cool. ****ing cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

thegills wrote: »
    How can you be on a housing list whilst meeting your rental obligations? Also if they where given 7 days notice on July 26 what's the story now?
    You don't seem to understand how reality works.
    Whilst waiting for a property to become avaluable which can indeed take 10 years one needs to rent from a private landlord.

Seems they haven't been paying rent.

Some cock and bull story about solicitor saying they should not pay rent to the rent receiver appointed by the mortgage owner.

Again, a tiny little bit of journalistic research would have found this out. But indo are never interested in the truth especially when a hysterical sensationalist story is the option

Some cock and bull story about solicitor saying they should not pay rent to the rent receiver appointed by the mortgage owner.

Again, a tiny little bit of journalistic research would have found this out. But indo are never interested in the truth especially when a hysterical sensationalist story is the option

Usual story... After seeing the success of Cash there will be a new gang of freeloading chancers every week in the media.

Our useless journalists will race to print it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

lawred2 wrote: »
    Usual story... After seeing the success of Cash there will be a new gang of freeloading chancers every week in the media.

Our useless journalists will race to print it

Started with Erica Fleming really.

Started with Erica Fleming really.

True

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Idbatterim wrote: »
    It’s a good post wexandproud, but again the government have created this joke. They are doing nothing about it. All citizens will push to get as much “entitlements” as they can or use them that are open to them. The government have opened Pandora’s box on this. Not Margaret cash!
    thanks . I know full well its previous governments have created this monster . I often wonder do people ever wonder why successive governments stopped building social housing , maybe its because its a bottom less pit for money . People given house for next to nothing and then they don't take any responsability or even a bit of pride in the asset and try to keep it half right .
    There were 1000's of council houses built in wexford in the 50's , 60's and 70' , a few years later a quick drive around any of the estates and you could tell if decent hard working people lived in a house or one of the entitlement brigade lived in them . To lazy to cut the grass , pick up a bit of rubbish from the garden or slap a bit of paint on the doors or windows , simple little things that would have helped . It was far better let the house run down and then start complaining about the conditions they were living in
    There are families down here who for generations , see it as their god given right not to work and its up to the government to provide for them . They live well , get their few cans have their little boats for fooling around in the harbour and at the same time they haven't got a good word to say about any government past or present .
    I made a decision not to post in the thread about that Cash women and here we are again with more of her like looking for hand outs and their plight is everybody's fault except their's . I would love to know what this Breen fella or his wife worked at when they decided to start a family , what circumstances caused him to loose his job [ which to some families does happen and they should be looked after ] . At what point do they think they have no right to have more kids as they can't afford them .
    It makes my blood boil

I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer to this....

Why are people on a housing list only in their own County Council area? Surely there should be a National List so that people in need of accommodation could consider somewhere other than their own County? That would be great for those not working for instance. But not contributing is a whole other debate I suppose. Easier to move elsewhere if you don't have to commute for a job!

Maybe there is such a scheme. I dunno.

I agree that there should be a Nationwide list. Headed by one lot of staff. Not the wasteful situation that we’ve got now. In this digital age, it should be simple. Don’t get me started on the multitude of homeless charities.

Seems that with all these stories there is always a part that's left out from the original article, but sure that might take away from the arranged photos where everyone has to have their arms around each other and a big sad face showing how brave they are fighting the horrible council or landlord.

We only have to look across the pond to see where we will be in a few years unless someone puts a stop to this, more and more people will play the system weak Governments have put in place in order to buy easy votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If they weren’t paying rent, do they get to keep the HAP money?

That's paid to the landlord but they would have to make their own contribution to it or it gets cut off I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

They don't ever get the HAP money, it is paid to the landlord and the tenant pays a rent.
    If this rent is not forthcoming from the tenant then HAP is not paid to the landlord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I agree that there should be a Nationwide list. Headed by one lot of staff. Not the wasteful situation that we’ve got now. In this digital age, it should be simple. Don’t get me started on the multitude of homeless charities.

About 70 or so , I have to agree with you some are virtually unaccountable.

Advertisement