Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York for 5 day

Options
  • 26-08-2018 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

HI
    off to New York for 5 days, its my 1st time there, would you recommend to see and do

Empire State
    Central Park
    Ground Zero
    Macys
    Time Square
    Broadway show
    Rockefeller Center
    One World Observatory

Shopping in an outlet, is it worth it ?? I assume its a full day out there?

Whats else should I add to my list of things to do

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭ExoPolitic

All of them, and perhaps ellis island

Outlet shopping wouldn't be a huge priority at the moment as your € doesn't buy much $.

You'll pick up a few bits that you'd not find here alright but the exchange rate isn't favourable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There is a Facebook group called nyc the place to be, it has loads of info about the very questions your asking. Be aware though it’s the same questions over and over nearly all being exactly what you’ve asked. Lots of good info but lots of nonsense as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

If you are able bodied take the subway to the Brooklyn side of the bridge and walk the bridge back towards Manhattan. The Natural History Museum on Central Park West is worth a visit. Have a look at ferry trip around Manhattan or a visit to the USS Intrepid if you are into that sort of thing. Loads to do. You won't be bored.

Staten Island ferry is free, get a decent photo of Statue of Liberty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Book Ellis island/statue liberty before you go, especially if you want to go up the statue. One world observatory the same. No queuing then.

Personally I wouldn't bother doing empire state and rockerfella. View is same from both. Personally prefer rockerfella as you can see empire state and the queues are way less. You can buy a ticket for a certain time and come back at that time and straight up.

Bus from bus station goes to Jersey gardens which is indoor mall. Also to Woodbury common which is outdoor individual stores. Both are a full day realistically.
    I found Tommy Hilfiger stuff is good value even with exchange rate. Some other stuff not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

A ball game at Yankee Stadium is a true cultural experience. If the Yankees are out of town the Mets play at Citifield in Queens but Yankee Stadium is more iconic, even though it has been rebuilt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

tech wrote: »
    HI
    off to New York for 5 days, its my 1st time there, would you recommend to see and do

Empire State
    Central Park
    Ground Zero
    Macys
    Time Square
    Broadway show
    Rockefeller Center
    One World Observatory

Shopping in an outlet, is it worth it ?? I assume its a full day out there?

Whats else should I add to my list of things to do

thanks

If you're gonna do one observatory, make it the Rockefeller, then no need to do Empire State or One World.

Go to the Strand Bookstore for a quintessential NYC experience. There's also a great restaurant for lunch or dinner called the Minetta Tavern in the village - very dark, clubby and atmospheric. People recommend walking the highline park, but I was underwhelmed by it tbh. As for outlets, meh, you can get that stuff anywhere & there's so much better use of your time that it'd be madness to devote half a day to that.

Use LYFT or Uber from JFK - only 41usd into midtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kefflin

We're going for new years eve and are looking for a restaurant reccomendation with a good atmosphere or views for a group of 6 in early thirties Manhattan Brooklyn areas preferably.
    Had a look on TripAdvisor but too many to choose from

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm a gurllll, but despite that illuminating fact I would scratch Macy's off the list. That place is just far too big and wearisome to get around and will take up far too much of your precious time. Same for the outlet malls. But whatever your thing is I suppose.

The one thing I really enjoyed was the Intrepid Air and Space museum. Have a look, I thought it was fantastic! Echo the Staten Island Ferry also. Couldn't be bothered booking and queing for Liberty Island, so saw it for free from the ferry! I'm not high maintenance obv!

Where are you staying. We stayed in Murray Hill. Great NY neighborhood feel and lots of great delis for amazing breakfasts too. Near the UN building too which is a good place to walk around. Serious security there though, you have been warned!

Grand Central Station is worth a look. Amazing place, but could be boring if you are not into architecture and all that.

So many places, and so little time. Do what you like to do, not what you think you should do. NY is just amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Definitely no need to do both Empire State and Rockefeller. Personally I prefer Rockefeller

I wouldn’t bother going to the outlets. A few hours shopping in Macy’s or other store on way back to hotel and you will get some bargains

I really enjoyed the transit museum https://www.nytransitmuseum.org/visit/
    It’s in Brooklyn but if you were planning on walking across the bridge you could do this first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

If you are able bodied take the subway to the Brooklyn side of the bridge and walk the bridge back towards Manhattan.

This is exactly what we did, really recommend it, also booked a guide from bigapplegreeter who spent the day with us, walked along the Riverside in Brooklyn, really nice from that side, crossed the Brooklyn bridge back to Manhattan, through China town, lower Manhattan, did the memorial pools and 9/11 with him, another day we took a train trip about an hour's journey up to Poughkeepsie, it was autumn and the colours were amazing, walked the Hudson bridge and there is also a pedestrian bridge there, did Ellis island and statue of liberty, natural history museum, central park, Rockefeller center, this gives a lovely view of all Manhattan, from central park to the north all way down to southern Manhattan, did the outlet centre and thought it was a waste of a day, really depends whether you are a big shopper which I wasn't. Wish I was back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

kefflin wrote: »
    We're going for new years eve and are looking for a restaurant reccomendation with a good atmosphere or views for a group of 6 in early thirties Manhattan Brooklyn areas preferably.
    Had a look on TripAdvisor but too many to choose from

The area around Times Square will be absolutely locked down by NYPD on NYE, while I can't recommend somewhere close by to eat close to Times Square, can't remember where we ate a few years ago, if you choose that area, book in advance & have confirmation of booking that you can show to the police or you won't get past the barriers
    Tbh, up around Times Square is a zoo that night, I'd pick somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

salmocab wrote: »
    Staten Island ferry is free, get a decent photo of Statue of Liberty.
    I got it several years back (about 20) thinking it went to the statue. A kind local lady laughed at me when I asked why it going past the island. The hospatality she showed me made up fit it. My first cougar experience ;)

Apologies for the tangent but just brought back memories

ted1 wrote: »
    I got it several years back (about 20) thinking it went to the statue. A kind local lady laughed at me when I asked why it going past the island. The hospatality she showed me made up fit it. My first cougar experience ;)

No need to apologise in fact I encourage you to give lots more detail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Greg81

The Federal Reserve Bank of New York. Free tour. Famous bank from Die Hard 3.

Book in advance. Gold, loads of gold. And cylindrical vault door looks epic :)

https://www.newyorkfed.org/aboutthefed/visiting

High Line walk

http://www.thehighline.org/visit

Subway abandon stations. Check for tour dates.

Top of the rock

https://www.topoftherocknyc.com/

New York is huge. Great city. Enjoy the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Greg81 wrote:
    The Federal Reserve Bank of New York. Free tour. Famous bank from Die Hard 3. Book in advance. Gold, loads of gold. And cylindrical vault door looks epic
    We did this, lot and lots of gold bars, stacked sky high, a free tour from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Greg81

august12 wrote: »
    We did this, lot and lots of gold bars, stacked sky high, a free tour from what I remember.

Yep. BTW. no photos allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Mod-Note:

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

ted1 wrote: »

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Just back from a few days myself in NY over the summer with the family and all of the above really but I'll add the Met Museum in central park.

The amount of stuff they have it that place is crazy one of the best museums Ive been to and I think its reasonable enough to get it as well.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

When in the Ground Zero/Battery Park area, be sure to visit the famine memorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sylvanb

Was in NY last New Years Eve, stayed in the Westin on 43rd st, just off Times Square, security very tight, NYPD all over the hotel. Had to show hotel pass on a number of blocks but still had to go around the houses to get to the hotel on NYE.

We had booked a Mexican nearby for NYE but the booking was cancelled with no reason given, ended up eating in the hotel, not the greatest atmosphere.

Everything around Times Square was part of a package - eye watering prices - balldrop.com gives you an idea.

We ended up watching the Times Sq celebrations on TV, opened the windows at midnight, some noise when the ball dropped.

Advertisement