Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddle mounted rear bottle cage

• 26-08-2018 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a saddle bottle cage for triathlon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

I've been using this last 2 seasons. Connects onto the saddle rails. Solid and never had an issue with it.

https://www.bike24.com/p2144749.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Can anyone recommend a saddle bottle cage for triathlon?

I have a double rear one which attaches to a saddle rail which I am selling.if you can wait I will put up details the week after next when I am back.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

I currently use the xlab mini wing system (link below) and find it pretty good.

Its a dual rear hydration system with each bottle attaching separately to the seat rails. Because each is attached independently you can adjust the angle and spacing to whatever you want (leaving as much or as little space between the bottles as you need). Its a little bit fiddly to fit and awkward to get properly tight but very manageable to do with the right shape allen key.

https://www.xlab-usa.com/mini-wing-system.html

I also have a profile design double rear bottle cage (link below) that looks like it could be good but I haven't tried it out yet so can't give any definite feedback.

https://fitegg.com/profile-design-rm1-bottle-cages-final-review/

Depending on how things go I will probably be selling one of these systems shortly if you are interested in either. I am Cork based so can show them fitted if you are in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I had a profile design double bottle holder a few years ago and was concerned about its strength. So the first time I used it to hold two full bottles (in Athy double olympic as it happened in the days before they handed out water on the course), the stem snapped when going over a bumpy section. Being risk averse I had used cable ties to ensure that it would not fall off if this happened. Of course, this meant that the cage was then hanging on top of the rear wheel and I couldn't remove it due to the cable ties. It took me ages to finally snap the ties and get going again.

So the moral was - always test out your race day gear (in full) prior to race day.

EC1000 wrote: »
    I had a profile design double bottle holder a few years ago and was concerned about its strength. So the first time I used it to hold two full bottles (in Athy double olympic as it happened in the days before they handed out water on the course), the stem snapped when going over a bumpy section. Being risk averse I had used cable ties to ensure that it would not fall off if this happened. Of course, this meant that the cage was then hanging on top of the rear wheel and I couldn't remove it due to the cable ties. It took me ages to finally snap the ties and get going again.

So the moral was - always test out your race day gear (in full) prior to race day.

Was it a metal of plastic stem? This one is metal and looks pretty strong and like it would take a lot to break it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

It was metal also. It was actually the screw that snapped if I recall correctly. They were the weak link.

EC1000 wrote: »
    It was metal also. It was actually the screw that snapped if I recall correctly. They were the weak link.

Thanks for the info, will keep an eye on it once I finally get around to fitting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

I have the profile design double bottle cage that attaches to the saddle rail that I bought second hand on ebay. I've done two full distances and a few 70.3 and had no issues. Just keep an eye on the screws that they don't come loose.

Advertisement