Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are Protestant Britain obsessed with the Papal visit to Ireland?

• 26-08-2018 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭

As the Pope, visited Britain a few years back to visit the minority religion there - which was met by intolerance and a nasty campaign by the Guardian - why are the Brits obsessed when he visits here?

Their media appears to be in overdrive patronising cliché mode about "Catholic Ireland", implying that Britain a state religious kingdom, whose government is made up of Protestant anti-Catholic DUPers and who have a fervent past and current history of religious bigotry, presently against Muslims - is somehow a paragon of secularism?

I don't recall the BBC, etc giving any coverage to the reason for protests against their queen's visit some years ago.

They ignored that - about British terrorism, collusion, anti-Irish laws, anti-Catholic discrimination, the concept of royalty.

I also recall, the Irish media and populace respecting the fact that the Queen of England is the Head of a Protestant Church with different practices.

(Incidentally, her visit cost approx 36 million, compared to 5 million for the Pope, and she had the roads cordoned off and all the homeless shipped with the Irish media failing to question anything, less they be accused of being in the IRA).

Have they not forgiven us for choosing our own religion or none?

Their Brexit media haven't shut up about us being a "small insignificant country",
    so why do they care about a visit to a foreign country of a foreign religion?

In fact, most of the commenters on their website don't seem to know where Ireland is, or are just simply jingoistic sectarian bigots.

I suspect that their behaviour over the visit is indicative of the typical xenophobic Johnny foreigner, intolerance, ignorance and feigned superiority that brought on Brexit.

They will never learn.

Before any right on bots claims, I'm not working for the Vatican to infiltrate the virgin territory of Boards.ie - just a former history, politics and media student and observer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That doesn't square with the coverage I saw on BBC and ITV. Perhaps you're taking from it what you want to find in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That doesn't square with the coverage I saw on BBC and ITV. Perhaps you're taking from it what you want to find in it.

I agree. In fact the UK coverage is far more balanced than RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah haven't seen anything remotely like what you've mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Plenty of Catholics in the UK too don't ya know. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Plenty of Catholics in the UK too don't ya know. ;)

There aren't, and the coverage was less when the Pope was actually there for longer.

• Advertisement

I mostly followed print media.

I suspect they just need a story to avoid Brexit talk for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

The brisitsh media is obsessed with ireland in general. I think they see us as a child who left home and never came back. Kind of a sentimental thing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Aren't they all just diluted Catholics anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TheShockmaster

I don't think "the brits" are obsessed with anything related to Ireland to be honest. I think we have much more of an interest in them than they do of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    The brisitsh media is obsessed with ireland in general. I think they see us as a child who left home and never came back. Kind of a sentimental thing....

Yes, never a day goes by without a headline :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭PhilDawn

Lol 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

The BBC employ a lot of Irish, some in high profile roles. We also watch a lot of UK TV.

They are simply catering to their audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There aren't, and the coverage was less when the Pope was actually there for longer.

There's more than here - approx. 5 million in England, Scotland, and Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Its August its easy filler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I don't think "the brits" are obsessed with anything related to Ireland to be honest. I think we have much more of an interest in them than they do of us.

Except for labelling our celebrities as British. Sure even Sky News yesterday made a whopper of an error saying that the Pope was in England!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

There aren't,.
    Yes there are, and millions of people of Irish ancestry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

BBC Radio Ulster had three Protestant clergymen from three different denominations discussing the visit. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Sort of runt of the litter? :D

As someone who isn't from this part of the world, but has lived in the UK for almost a decade, and in Ireland for almost the same, I'd say you're bang on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Its newsworthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I don't recall the BBC, etc giving any coverage to the reason for protests against their queen's visit some years ago.

Probably because the peripheral lunatic fringes of republicanism are cranks and clowns, who are parodies of themselves at this stage. Most normal folks in Ireland rightly recognised that the welcome extended to Lizzie Windsor was a move in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Argy Bargy Hand of God and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Try_harder wrote: »
    Its August its easy filler

Is a huge part of this, it's either God or Brexit right now and in a day or two it'll just be Brexit again. Plus The UK media is interested in the contrast between 1979 and 2018 - the old 'Orish' v the new LGBTQ friendly Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There is still a strong sectarian streak running through Britain.

Danzy wrote: »

Going back to the Reformation. And anti Semitism which is also practised by the more recent Muslim intake, and Islamophobia which is very popular. They could do with a visit from the Pope to sort things out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

BBC Radio Ulster had three Protestant clergymen from three different denominations discussing the visit. You couldn't make it up.

in fairness, they could have ten Protestant Clergymen from ten different denominations just from the Lisburn road.

Did our media give massive coverage to the Pope's visit to Britain a few years ago?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭Allinall

RTE had a Catholic Wexfordman reporting on the bridge collapse in Italy last week.
    You couldn’t make it up.

• Advertisement

Is a huge part of this, it's either God or Brexit right now and in a day or two it'll just be Brexit again. Plus The UK media is interested in the contrast between 1979 and 2018 - the old 'Orish' v the new LGBTQ friendly Irish.

Bit patronising no, are they going to come back every year with that narrative?

Shame the Brits can't shine a light on the homophobia emanating from Protestant clerics in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bradlin

It's a great way for them to highlight corruption in Ireland. The BBC would never miss that opportunity. And they're right.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Bitter, sad armchair republican stuck back in 1978 alert! :rolleyes:

Danzy wrote: »
    England is one of the most multicultural societies in the world, with pretty staunch anti hate laws. I just don't get what people mean on this thread. Scotland sectarian yes, but England - I really disagree that it is apart from the usual individual cases which you'd find anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Bitter, sad armchair republican stuck back in 1978 alert! :rolleyes:

I'm not sad, just going through a period of ennui.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

The OP just made the whole premise of the post up just so he can have a bash at those Protestant Brits. Should have just been honest and said you hate Britain and be done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I have to watch BBC as I cancelled my sky and sky Ireland still refuse to show Irish channels on free view as they do English channels. Illegal I would say as I still fork out for tv licence. Anyhow I found BBC and itv coverage good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Allinall wrote: »
    RTE had a Catholic Wexfordman reporting on the bridge collapse in Italy last week.
    You couldn’t make it up.

Yes because ireland is full of Italian bridge engineers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭indioblack

.... a former history, politics and media student and observer.
    Yes, I expect you are.

They could do with a visit from the Pope to sort things out.
    Yeah. Like the one you had in '79.
    How did that work out?

indioblack wrote: »
    Yeah. Like the one you had in '79.
    How did that work out?

Grand. They made him a saint.

• Advertisement

Bit patronising no, are they going to come back every year with that narrative?

Shame the Brits can't shine a light on the homophobia emanating from Protestant clerics in the North.
    I don't think they'd have any issue with it. How does coverage of one mean a reluctance to cover the other?

It's a very big event which is receiving coverage elsewhere also. You're reading bizarre things into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

They are obsessed with keeping the cliches alive though. Part of a post colonial attitude.

Grand. They made him a saint.
    Typical Irish retort. Like it.
    Swift, short, sharp.
    With enough of a put down to make me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

There's about four million Catholics in the UK.

Coverage would be less because it's not the dominant religion there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Its just news like any other hardly what you call obsessed and BTW Britain is by and large irreligious to the extent many are now opting out of getting their own children christened and churches are practically deserted. Protestantism is largely a thing of the past in the UK its mostly secular nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't really agree with the OP however for whatever reason to my recollection there has been more coverage on the UK news networks of this visit than the one to the UK.

I guess that has to do with the underlying narrative - "abuse and how it has effected a predominantly catholic country". But then these issues are not unique to Ireland - happened all around the world.

So I can't understand why there has been so much coverage.

The Republic is a market for Sky News for example - that is an important point though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Nail on head.

Every second post on Boards is a whingefest of what the 'Brits' did to us or what do the 'Brits' think of X, Y or Z. Any Irish failing is of course blamed on the 'Brits', even thought they're gone with nearly a century .....'post colonial' mindset bullsh1t. People hating 'Brits' as if they fought the Tans when the nearest they got to violence was playing Call of Duty and were in nappies when bombs were going off.

Really, it'd sicken your sh1t at times.

Nail on head.

Every second post on Boards is a whingefest of what the 'Brits' did to us or what do the 'Brits' think of X, Y or Z. Any Irish failing is of course blamed on the 'Brits', even thought they're gone with nearly a century .....'post colonial' mindset bullsh1t. People hating 'Brits' as if they fought the Tans when the nearest they got to violence was playing Call of Duty and were in nappies when bombs were going off.

Really, it'd sicken your sh1t at times.

Checks spelling of Whiskey in name. You would say that! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Checks spelling of Whiskey in name. You would say that! :pac:

Whatever.

Maybe you should have your username as Gaelige?

Whatever.

Maybe you should have your username as Gaelige?

Grumpy. Stereotype *tick*

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement