Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speed issue with 1Gb NIC port on laptop

Options
  • 26-08-2018 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭

I have a Toshiba laptop about 3-4 yrs old with a 1Gb NIC port and I have Virgin 240 Mb broadband. Usually when doing a speed test I get around the 240Mb/s down and 25Mb/s up mark. Over the last couple of weeks download speed reported is 80/90Mb/s. Upload speed is still 25Mb/s.

I had a Virgin tech out and his laptop gets the full 240Mb/s down 25mb/s up and his fluke device shows the line is set for 240MB/s. Modem cabling and wall port were all replaced but no difference on my laptop.

I had my work laptop at home with me and checked with this and got 190Mb/s down and 25Mb/s up.

After tech left I remembered that I had a USB to 1Gb adapter in my work laptop bag, so put this in my laptop and tested speed and got 245 Mb/s down and 25 Mb/s up.

So obviously the issue is with the NIC on my laptop. But does anyone know why the NIC would slow down like this and if there anything that can be done to resolve or is it time for a new Laptop?

I should say that I have checked that the drivers for the NIC are up to date and replaced the cable to the modem with a new CAT6 cable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is it a long cable? Lesser NICs struggle to keep 1G on longer runs. Sounds like yours is falling back to 100Mb.

Go into the device properties and set 1000Mb only, it'll either work full speed or disconnect but you can go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

ED E wrote: »
    Is it a long cable? Lesser NICs struggle to keep 1G on longer runs. Sounds like yours is falling back to 100Mb.

Go into the device properties and set 1000Mb only, it'll either work full speed or disconnect but you can go from there.

It's not overly long, 5m. I have tried it on a 1.5m cable and still the same result. I have the NIC set to 1Gb full duplex, no disconnection, just not full download speed. This was working properly about 4 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Observe pins inside LAN port on laptop - any sign of damage/corrosion/dirt/stuck pin?
    As you know, if either pin 4, 5, 7, or 8 have no connection, it renders NIC to 100Base-T , but system still reads as 1000Base-T capable.

Had come across similar some time ago - user manage to push USB stick into LAN port(by mistake, :eek:), bend pins.

gigabit%20ethernet%20rj45%20pinout.jpg

gigabit%20ethernet%20rj45%20twisted%20pair%20wiring.GIF

Observe pins inside LAN port on laptop - any sign of damage/corrosion/dirt/stuck pin?
    As you know, if either pin 4, 5, 7, or 8 have no connection, it renders NIC to 100Base-T , but system still reads as 1000Base-T capable.

Had come across similar some time ago - user manage to push USB stick into LAN port(by mistake, :eek:), bend pins.

gigabit%20ethernet%20rj45%20pinout.jpg

gigabit%20ethernet%20rj45%20twisted%20pair%20wiring.GIF

Inside of LAN port looks good, no stuck/bent pins, no dirt or corrosion visible.

Any Antivirus or VPN software?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Any Antivirus or VPN software?

I have both, but have had them a long time. VPN is not active when testing as I know it kills the download speed.

As I said previously I tested speed about 4 weeks ago and it was working as expected, 240Mbps down/25Mbps up. It's only it the last week or so I noticed that the download speed had dropped to 80-90Mbps.

Also as stated above, when I connect a USB to 1Gb Ethernet adapter I get the full download speed and this is with the Antivirus installed and VPN not active.

So whatever the issue is it seems to be with the onboard Ethernet NIC and not software installed. But I have no idea why it just slowed down.
    Onboard NIC is a Realtek PCI gbe family contorller.

Physically inspected the NIC and seems ok, no bent pins or signs or corrosion/dirt etc. Latest drivers are installed. Brand new CAT6 cable to connect to router. Same issue with both a 1.5m & 5m CAT6 cable, so don't think it is cable length. NIC is hard coded to 1Gb Full Duplex and no disconnections, but still only 80-90mbps download. Same when I set to Auto Negotiate. :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Maybe a corrupted driver or an update to the NIC driver the cause?
    The USB NIC would presumably use a different driver so could be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

1. replace the cable. costs next to nothing, rules one possible issue out.

2. To rule out 'windows' issues you can create a boot usb stick with linux on it, and test speeds that way.

that way you can be sure if its software or not. if its hardware you can use your external nic. if its software you can delete the nic from device manager, and install driver a fresh & let it reinstall.

Or you can just live with 80mb down? Do you do stuff that make this a real inconvenience?

Maybe a corrupted driver or an update to the NIC driver the cause?
    The USB NIC would presumably use a different driver so could be ok.

I have removed the driver and reinstalled it also removed the NIC through device manager and added it back. No change.

Both onboard NIC and USB adapter are picked up as RealTek gbe family controllers. Onboard as a "PCI" and USB as "USB".

On Realtek site last update for drivers is dated as 2016, but driver name indicates 2013.

Hi Op

1. replace the cable. costs next to nothing, rules one possible issue out.

2. To rule out 'windows' issues you can create a boot usb stick with linux on it, and test speeds that way.

that way you can be sure if its software or not. if its hardware you can use your external nic. if its software you can delete the nic from device manager, and install driver a fresh & let it reinstall.

Or you can just live with 80mb down? Do you do stuff that make this a real inconvenience?

If you mean replace the LAN cable then I have already replaced it from a CAT5E that I made myself to a store bought CAT6 cable. Made no difference.

Will try with a Linux boot USB and see if that makes a difference. I have already reinstalled the driver and deleted the NIC from device manager and added it back, no change.

It just seems strange that it was working fine 4 weeks ago and noticed at the end of the week before last that speed had dropped.

Not a big issue, just bugging me that it used to work and now doesn't and I can always use the USB NIC if required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Onboard NIC is a Realtek PCI gbe family contorller.

PCI or PCI-e? It would have to be PCI-e for a 3-4 year old machine.

Outside of that, is it actually running at 1gig?

https://winaero.com/blog/see-the-ethernet-or-wifi-adapter-speed-in-windows-10/

List whats in your network adapters dialogue. (Win + X, W)

PCI or PCI-e? It would have to be PCI-e for a 3-4 year old machine.

Outside of that, is it actually running at 1gig?

https://winaero.com/blog/see-the-ethernet-or-wifi-adapter-speed-in-windows-10/
    Onboard NIC is only connected at 100mbps :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Onboard NIC is only connected at 100mbps :(

Right, 1 gig uses a auto negotiation protocol. It basically tests the cable and connection and if its able to, works at 1gig.

In your case, since its working at 100mb, its probable that their is a issue with the NIC on the laptop, probably a internal fault with one of the pins. Compatibility issues are rare nowadays between devices(although possible). You could check by putting a switch in-between the two devices, but fixing it is near impossible.

Right, 1 gig uses a auto negotiation protocol. It basically tests the cable and connection and if its able to, works at 1gig.

In your case, since its working at 100mb, its probable that their is a issue with the NIC on the laptop, probably a internal fault with one of the pins. Compatibility issues are rare nowadays between devices(although possible). You could check by putting a switch in-between the two devices, but fixing it is near impossible.

Cheers. Looks like it might be time for a new laptop soon and I can work away with the USB 1Gb adapter for now.

Advertisement