Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSD Brinny ,Buses?

Options
  • 26-08-2018 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭

I am starting a new job in MSD,What is the best area to get a house in.I wont have a car to travel there so will be relying on busses to get there so that will have to factor in on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Do MSD provide shuttle buses from bandon or innishannon?

Look at bus eireann routes 236 and 237. Both leave you a good ways away from MSD and neither will get you there before 9 unless you’re traveling from west cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

MrDerp wrote: »
    Do MSD provide shuttle buses from bandon or innishannon?

Look at bus eireann routes 236 and 237. Both leave you a good ways away from MSD and neither will get you there before 9 unless you’re traveling from west cork.

That would be ideal if there was a shuttle bus,I do have to be there for 9 and finish at 5.30.Hopefully I can get a car share and pay towards the petrol once I know where I will be based.
    Does anyone know about any shuttle buses and from where they depart from?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I work there and there are no shuttle buses unfortunately.

A lot of new people have had to rely on taxis or move to bandon and get the bus from there and start at half 7.

Hopefully when you can start you can find comeone to car pool with(it does happen)

Location wise,staff live all over..carigaline..douglas..the city..glanmire..passage west.

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I work there and there are no shuttle buses unfortunately.

A lot of new people have had to rely on taxis or move to bandon and get the bus from there and start at half 7.

Hopefully when you can start you can find comeone to car pool with(it does happen)

Is there an intranet for car pooling?Or is it just luck of the draw with meeting/talking to people.Have a induction on the 10th so hopefully can sort something there.

Just luck im afraid. We were only just talking about this last week, how inaccessible this place is.

Induction is in the airport isnt it? Just a heads up that on the thursday you come to site so you'll need to sort that too!

• Advertisement

Just luck im afraid. We were only just talking about this last week, how inaccessible this place is.

Induction is in the airport isnt it? Just a heads up that on the thursday you come to site so you'll need to sort that too!

I only got the contract on Friday.What hotel is it at the airport?Ill try and get a spot and work something.Another thing is the induction casual wear and is it a 5 day induction?

I only got the contract on Friday.What hotel is it at the airport?Ill try and get a spot and work something.Another thing is the induction casual wear and is it a 5 day induction?

Sorry I cant remember which one they hold it at.
    It would be casual yeah, and yes does go on all week

Hope u got a lift sorted!

Hope u got a lift sorted!

Yea sorted a lift.I'm in bandon so right beside the plant thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Yea sorted a lift.I'm in bandon so right beside the plant thanks.

There would be a number living in the Bishopstown/Wilton area who might be interested in giving lifts, plus the Bandon bus goes past the Wilton Shopping Centre and further long to the Bishopstown Bar. I used to work there, many years ago. Once you get settled in, start those driving lessons !

• Advertisement

Mumha wrote: »
    There would be a number living in the Bishopstown/Wilton area who might be interested in giving lifts, plus the Bandon bus goes past the Wilton Shopping Centre and further long to the Bishopstown Bar. I used to work there, many years ago. Once you get settled in, start those driving lessons !

Im going to buy a car and get going, just wanted to see if I could do it without the car and save cash .So far I have a lift and another one after that if it falls through.The only thing is that its an hour to Cork and have to get the bus if I want to go to Limrick or where ever.There is over 1k people in there now maybe they should look at getting buses to Cork and back with a few pick up spots on the way as the car park is over capacity.

Im going to buy a car and get going, just wanted to see if I could do it without the car and save cash .So far I have a lift and another one after that if it falls through.The only thing is that its an hour to Cork and have to get the bus if I want to go to Limrick or where ever.There is over 1k people in there now maybe they should look at getting buses to Cork and back with a few pick up spots on the way as the car park is over capacity.

I doubt that will happen tbh, if it hadn't happened by now. I remember when I started there, I used to get a lift for the first year or so, until I got a car. It was a relief because you were always beholden to others, and having to scramble for a lift if your regular lift had to stay late. Staying in Bandon, in the short term, is a good idea and takes a lot of that pressure off. Good luck with it anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

How long does it take to get to here from cork city and where is it?

mean gene wrote: »

Driving is about 35 minutes on bus is good bit longer over an hour.Its in Brinny its in the middle of no where.

mean gene wrote: »

As was mentioned in the previous post, about 35 mins...traffic in the mornings has become a bit of a pain around the plant, as there are so many working there now. Usually people turn off at Halfway, going through Crossbarry, or turning right just before Inishannon going through Upton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 WeeJay

Is it advisable to live in bandon area? As I won't have a car to travel so will be relying on bus services to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

With all the focus on one off housing, why on earth was a one off plant built, with all due respect, in the arse end of nowhere?
    Same with equally inaccessible (with public transport) Danone plant near Macroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

With all the focus on one off housing, why on earth was a one off plant built, with all due respect, in the arse end of nowhere?
    Same with equally inaccessible (with public transport) Danone plant near Macroom.

Its got its own river!

Its also 30+ years old?

WeeJay wrote: »
    Is it advisable to live in bandon area? As I won't have a car to travel so will be relying on bus services to get there.

Unless you want to cycle on quite a bad road I would advise it.
    You can also try and go short term and find someone willing to carpool.
    The bus from the city won't get you in for the morning unfortunately.

• Advertisement

WeeJay wrote: »

It depends. The bus service isn't fantastic either. It also depends on whether you will be on shift or working weekends ?

Maybe the best thing to do is look to stay at a b&b in Bandon, for 2 or 3 weeks until you find the lay of the land. You could then put the word out looking for a regular lift. If you can get a lift from the Wilton/Bishopstown area, that would be ideal, as the Brinny bus passes CUH and out by the Bishopstown Bar, so you have some sort of back up.

The site was originally a small chemical company called Avondale Chemical Company in the 1970s, and was bought out by Schering Plough in the early 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The site was originally a small chemical company called Avondale Chemical Company in the 1970s, and was bought out by Schering Plough in the early 1980s.

Ah the 1970s, when everyone had a car!

Ah the 1970s, when everyone had a car!

Yes, yes, that was it....

The original Avondale had a very small amount of employees, the big rise in employees started in the late 1980s, and ballooned in the mid 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I assume the thinking was ,hhhhmmm chemical plant in 1970s with 70s levels of safety and oversight , let's not put this in the middle of a large town ...

It's surprising that they don't lay on shuttle buses from bandon and inishannon /halfway .. it'd lower traffic levels (keeping staff,neighbours and the council happy ) ,and reduce the need for more parking , while been seen as a perk for staff ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I assume the thinking was ,hhhhmmm chemical plant in 1970s with 70s levels of safety and oversight , let's not put this in the middle of a large town ...

It's surprising that they don't lay on shuttle buses from bandon and inishannon /halfway .. it'd lower traffic levels (keeping staff,neighbours and the council happy ) ,and reduce the need for more parking , while been seen as a perk for staff ,

My thought was always the reverse i.e. they didn't want to be associated with all the other plants down in Ringaskiddy and Little Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Markcheese

My thought was always the reverse i.e. they didn't want to be associated with all the other plants down in Ringaskiddy and Little Island.

When it opened in the 70s was there much of a cluster in ringaskiddy ,? Or little island ... ?,. I don't think eli Lilly were in kinsale at that time yet either ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    When it opened in the 70s was there much of a cluster in ringaskiddy ,? Or little island ... ?,. I don't think eli Lilly were in kinsale at that time yet either ...

Yes, Ringaskiddy and Little Island were the main centres. My own brother started in Little Island in 1982, and I did work experience in Ringskiddy in 1987. Brinny under Avondale was a very small operation. I checked there and Lilly set up in Kinsale in 1978. I don't know what Avondale did at that time, but when SP bought Avondale it wasn't expanded as a chemical company. It was and is a biotech company, unlike a number of plants around the harbour.

Advertisement