Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why isn't my sister paying tax?

• 26-08-2018 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

So my sister is a qualified nurse, working with the HSE since 2 years ago, she's 26, not married. She showed me her pay slip and she is only paying prsi, usc, pension levy and pension. She gets payed fortnightly and she pays about €150 altogether. This is the above all added up together. No tax. Why is this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

What's her gross pay per pay cheque, that is pay before any deductions,

When did she start employment, she might have unused tax credits from start of year if only took up employment recently,

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Danyella

august12 wrote: »
    What's her gross pay per pay cheque, that is pay before any deductions,

When did she start employment, she might have unused tax credits from start of year if only took up employment recently,

I think her gross pay is about 1300 per for tonight and she gets €150 ish deducted per fortnight. So therefore she takes home about 1150 per fortnight. I told her this can't be right. I looked at her slip and it looks like she's not getting taxed at all. She's only getting deducted what I mentioned above. She's in the job 1.5 years, nearly 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Danyella wrote: »
    I think her gross pay is about 1300 per for tonight and she gets €150 ish deducted per fortnight. So therefore she takes home about 1150 per fortnight. I told her this can't be right. I looked at her slip and it looks like she's not getting taxed at all. She's only getting deducted what I mentioned above. She's in the job 1.5 years, nearly 2

Look at her cumulative gross pay for the year to confirm how much she's earned this year so far as well as her cumulative deductions as 1300 every two weeks is 33800 where she would be paying some PAYE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59,669 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

On the basis of the facts as stated, she should be paying PAYE- but there may be some sort of special HSE category of non-taxable income/ allowance she's receiving or some tax credits reason (for example, if she has tax credits for an incapacitated child that would reduce her tax to nil).

Here's what my calculator would expect to be the deductions for a single person, regular tax credits and standard rate band, employed in the HSE where employment started since 1 Jan 2013 or later:

RyN5Qbx.png

Advertisement