Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s wrong with my PC?

Options
  • 26-08-2018 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭

Hey so a few weeks or so ago the ESB were doing works at the front of my estate. They turned the power off while my pc was on and a few minutes later the power rapidly came on and off again twice and when I turned my pc back on the next day I’d no display. I thought the ESB rapidly turning the power on and off had fried my gpu so I swapped it out with my old one. Still no display. I’m using HDMI to TV.

When I switch the pc on it sounds normal. Can hear the hard drives starting up and stuff. No display no matter what gpu or tv I use. Got a new hdmi and same thing.

What could have gone wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Try the motherboard gfx output?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hey so a few weeks or so ago the ESB were doing works at the front of my estate. They turned the power off while my pc was on and a few minutes later the power rapidly came on and off again twice and when I turned my pc back on the next day I’d no display. I thought the ESB rapidly turning the power on and off had fried my gpu so I swapped it out with my old one. Still no display. I’m using HDMI to TV.

When I switch the pc on it sounds normal. Can hear the hard drives starting up and stuff. No display no matter what gpu or tv I use. Got a new hdmi and same thing.

What could have gone wrong.

The operating system might be corrupted, and as that is the easiest and cheapest thing to test first I suggest you run a Live USB of any Linux distro to see if you get any output.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Try the motherboard gfx output?

I’ve unplugged and plugged in everything on the mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I’ve unplugged and plugged in everything on the mobo.
    Sorry I meant don't try to use your gfx card as the video output, some motherboards have Intel graphics chip and a VGA or DVI output (maybe newer have HDMI), try connect your monitor to that if there is one? :)
    If you do get video it might indicate the gfx card or interface is the problem, maybe.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As above, if there is an onboard graphics output, try that, although I would say that you would have already tried that if it was the case. Disconnect the hard drives and any other peripherals, also try a hard reset of the BIOS. If none of that works, then I would lean towards PSU damage, or secondly motherboard damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

If you unplug video cable from monitor/PC, do you get "No signal" message on screen? Or is it nothing at all?

On TV, check "input" selection.

If avail, try different connection(VGA, DVI, DP).

If avail, test with different monitor.

Advertisement