Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best paid stack in Dublin

Options
  • 26-08-2018 1:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi

I'm a developer in my first tech job in Dublin, Ireland. I use PHP and the Laravel framework.

I love web development, but I also want to make the most money I can. What would be the best technology for this. There don't seem to be a lot of Laravel opportunities. I'd love to learn Node with React, but is that a good corporate stack, or am I better off moving to .net?

I'd love to hear opinions on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

I don't think there is one particular stack that's well paid above the others, unless it's something very niche.

More likely to be some industry that will be better paid than others, and for good reason.

Unfortunately PHP is relegated to agencies and some startups, although even most of those have switched to ruby.

It's not going to be possible for you to learn a new stack and just walk into a job using it, they're going to be looking for commercial experience.

Some tech companies will be more interested in your ability than the stack you currently know, that's probably where you want to be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Javascript, its fairly highly paid because its a pain in the arse of a language however with it you're able to write, backend, frontend, libraries, servers, interactions with IOT devices etc etc. Javascript's the way to go. I also like python

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Javascript, its fairly highly paid because its a pain in the arse of a language however with it you're able to write, backend, frontend, libraries, servers, interactions with IOT devices etc etc. Javascript's the way to go. I also like python

There's a lot of different frameworks in Javascript though. You've got raw, Typescript, jQuery, Angular JS, Angular 4, React & Redux, Vue, etc etc.

It's changing at such a fast pace too that keeping up with the latest and greatest will be a challenge but it will be required to keep earning the good money.

I really think you need to be able to do client side and server side to get the good money. If you had the above skills coupled with Java, C# or Python and the required DB design skills then you'll be able to command good money.

I'd say PHP is the lowest paid dev skill out there

John_Mc wrote: »
    There's a lot of different frameworks in Javascript though. You've got raw, Typescript, jQuery, Angular JS, Angular 4, React & Redux, Vue, etc etc.

It's changing at such a fast pace too that keeping up with the latest and greatest will be a challenge but it will be required to keep earning the good money.

I really think you need to be able to do client side and server side to get the good money. If you had the above skills coupled with Java, C# or Python and the required DB design skills then you'll be able to command good money.

I'd say PHP is the lowest paid dev skill out there

That is true there are a lot of different things to get up with. If you can write vanilla JS then you'll pick up a framework quite handily, don't learn frameworks learn the language. Lets go through your list there.
    • Raw - Vanilla JS -> learn this first this is the base language
    • Typescript - this is just a typed wrapper around javascript nothing new in syntax just a different file extension, a tsconfig file and types in your JS
    • jQuery - outdated buy nice to know a few small bits
    • Angular JS - outdated and AFAIk only maintained by community not worth learning
    • Angular 4 - think its 6 right now, keep introducing breaking changes with each release I gave up on Angular personally.
    • React & Redux - I hated it when I went with Angular, now I love it and don't like Angular, good release structures, poor documentation, to put it simply no HTML just raw JS with some syntatic sugar ontop.
    • Vue - took the V from AngularJS's MVC pattern. It's good for small apps but working with it in my current position it struggles a bit with enterprise level applications. The routing system is annoying as you cannot dynamically add child routes to your app as a user navigates all the routing needs to be done in one go.

In Regards to a database i've worked with Node and any number of databases, SQL, Mongo, RethinkDB, Postgres, Invalidb. It's really more about whatever fits your current project or where you wanna go with your career.

I don't disagree with any of that.

Even though that list is missing stuff it is still fairly long. If you were a server side developer things are a lot easier and once you're competent you can do pretty much anything. Far less stuff to catch you out in an interview etc.

That being said, too much of anything gets boring which is why I like doing full stack

• Advertisement

Same @john_mc, I started out as frontend got into NodeJS to learn server side stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

For long term future proofing, try and get experience with languages/tools that interact with Cloud architecture as this looks to be a key technology wave for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Manach wrote: »
    For long term future proofing, try and get experience with languages/tools that interact with Cloud architecture as this looks to be a key technology wave for the next few years.

Any chance you can expand on this or give examples?

Manach wrote: »

I don't agree with this unless you want to get into Dev Ops or another role focusing on infrastructure.

Cloud architecture is no different to conventional applications from a developers perspective. E.g if you're a web developer you'll build your applications to be host on a web server. Whether that's in the cloud or a normal operating system is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

I don't agree with this unless you want to get into Dev Ops or another role focusing on infrastructure.

Cloud architecture is no different to conventional applications from a developers perspective. E.g if you're a web developer you'll build your applications to be host on a web server. Whether that's in the cloud or a normal operating system is irrelevant.

Perhaps he meant tools like Docker, which you might need as a developer, regardless if you're specifically working in DevOps or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I run lots of fortran in the cloud, you guys should totally learn that - it's the new hotness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Not necessarily,
    As an example, Rather than using a potentially large java app, server storage, JMS, splunk or similar and a mysql database (most of which you'd need to implement backups yourself) you could use AWS S3 Storage, event driven lambda functions as microservices, SQS & Cloudwatch and DynamoDB or Aurora - All of which is cloud based obviously and you get auto scaling built in automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Not necessarily,
    As an example, Rather than using a potentially large java app, server storage, JMS, splunk or similar and a mysql database (most of which you'd need to implement backups yourself) you could use AWS S3 Storage, event driven lambda functions as microservices, SQS & Cloudwatch and DynamoDB or Aurora - All of which is cloud based obviously and you get auto scaling built in automatically.

That's an implementation/deployment detail.

The bigger ideas and concepts are what you should focus on - microservices, serverless, message queues, statelessness etc.

All of which cam be done with various providers, and you need to be able to understand when and where to use them.

Not necessarily,

And be tied to Amazon forever? No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

And be tied to Amazon forever? No thanks.

Terraform is platform agnostic

Ok, but you get my point I'm sure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

(Moving a bit off topic here sorry)

Ehhh not really. Terraform can be used to spin up infrastructure on different platforms, but you still have to re-write your code base if you want to move from AWS to Azure or something.

That being said, being afraid of 'Vendor Lock-in' on the cloud is a bit overblown. The time and money saved using SaaS/PaaS services is worth it 99% of the time vs trying to roll your own Kubernetes stack or something to stay cross platform. Not to mention the business benefits around scalability, availability etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

deconduo wrote: »
    The time and money saved using SaaS/PaaS services is worth it 99% of the time vs trying to roll your own Kubernetes stack or something to stay cross platform. Not to mention the business benefits around scalability, availability etc.

Thing is, SaaS/PaaS is very good at hiding the true financial cost of that stuff. From time to time, I run out the numbers for AWS et al, and I'm always fairly aghast at the financial cost, plus the time cost for setting the stuff up, testing it, and then maintaining it. Orchestration is very complex to get right, and keep right. Bandwidth costs in particular really can sneak up on you.

You can get scalability as just as easily by reducing your resource footprint to such a low variable cost that each additional user is almost unmeasurable. Tens of thousands of connections can suddenly spike in, and a single server barely notices, let alone a few of them.

A very good way of testing this is to do all your server deployment testing on Intel Atom CPUs with 10Mbit connections. Get it scaling well there, and it tends (but not always) to scale rather well on 40Gbit 32 CPU machines.

But maybe I'm speaking before my time. It's currently rare to achieve scalability with less rather than more. But maybe it'll be different a decade from now where we'll look to focus on simplicity, less is more.

Niall

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

14ned wrote: »
    A very good way of testing this is to do all your server deployment testing on Intel Atom CPUs with 10Mbit connections. Get it scaling well there, and it tends (but not always) to scale rather well on 40Gbit 32 CPU machines.

But maybe I'm speaking before my time. It's currently rare to achieve scalability with less rather than more. But maybe it'll be different a decade from now where we'll look to focus on simplicity, less is more.

It's a good point, if you want to test performance, throttling various resource combinations (CPU, Bandwidth, memory, storage) for different loads is a decent approach. Funny enough, good performance testers and optimizers can make decent money too.

Back to the OP, I'm seeing a lot of buzz around computer vision (e.g. OpenCV) and deep learning quite a bit. Unity with C++ also seems busy, and combining technical skills with domain knowledge works well. StackOverflow jobs might make for interesting browsing as it lets you filter by salary and renumeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

smacl wrote: »
    StackOverflow jobs might make for interesting browsing as it lets you filter by salary and renumeration.

I assume everybody here knows about https://kennytilton.github.io/whoishiring/ right? Just tick Remote, enter the regex for the skills you have.

Be aware that in the America first mindset, US startups are avoiding hiring non-US folk remotely. It's why I had such a bad year last year, had to go onsite in Dublin, which has sucked. Also, make sure to mention in your application to European startups that Ireland is not in Britain, and is not leaving the EU, and we use Euros as our currency, not Sterling. I have found that a majority of Europeans think Ireland is leaving the EU, and won't hire people in Ireland as a result.

Niall

• Advertisement
Advertisement