Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'OK to be bent as long as you're straight'!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I think it's the fact that he got a prison sentence and yet Judge Martin Nolan who handed him that sentence has been known to have imposed more lenient sentences for more heinous crimes committed over the years.That was one of the main things about that case which wound people up.

Regardless of whether tax evasion is wrong thing to do it is much much more tolerable crime than violent crimes are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Bradlin wrote: »
    Very interesting stat from McWilliams in an article yesterday:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/david-mcwilliams-the-past-is-a-sexually-repressed-tax-dodging-country-1.3605561

In 1981, a Survey in Ireland showed that 58% of us opposed homosexuality, but only 44% of us were opposed to tax evasion!!!

Reminded me of that great line from (I think?) a book by Fintan O'Toole in which he said "In Ireland at that time, it was OK to be bent as long as you were straight."

Hard to believe how oppressed we were back in those days.

We weren't oppressed or at least I wasn't but I would still hold the same views as those listed above to some degree!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Doctor Nasser in Dublin lodged over 1,500 cheques in an account hidden from his business and schemed for years to dodge tax

Showed up to court with a cheque for 100k to make amends and buy his way out and his wife looked for mercy. All too late in the day for that

He got jailed and Joe Duffy callers spent the next week defending him. Ah shure he’s a grand man. The same callers were spitting fury over Michael Lowry who did far less

Yeah people admire the dodger , you’re correct OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

People changed their minds about things once they got more education on the matter and once they got to see gay people weren't bad and scary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

It's 2018 now.

Any chance of an updated survey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

What I'll never understand is how people don't seem to realise that the strongest forces anywhere are social or cultural.
    Yet they still protest "I'm my own man/woman. I think for myself".

Today's right-on, leftist thinking is yesterday's religious thinking.

It will be forever thus.
    The only invariant is people are largely unconscious drones doing and thinking what is socially sanctioned. Social tools if you will.

While me on the other hand...
    /Leaves thread smugly.

Seriously though, social forces will always dominate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The only invariant is people are largely unconscious drones doing and thinking what is socially sanctioned. Social tools if you will.

I won't.

Advertisement