Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping halogen for LED.

Options
  • 26-08-2018 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Just moved into a new house that ahs a number of downlight with M58 12v 50W halogen lights and would like to swap these for LED's as they are more energy efficient.
    I'm bright enough to do the physical swap but am not sure what type of LED's t get that are compatible.
    Wonder if anyone can shine a light on this.
    #multiplepunsintended

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You have low voltage bulbs so the simplist option is to replace them with low voltage led bulbs.

The best solution is to convert them to mains voltage led bulbs imo.

If you stick with the low voltage you'll find transformers need replacing fairly regularly. Even the fitting that the pins at the end of the bulb go into can act up. Long term switching to 230v will be less trouble imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You have low voltage bulbs so the simplist option is to replace them with low voltage led bulbs.

The best solution is to convert them to mains voltage led bulbs imo.

If you stick with the low voltage you'll find transformers need replacing fairly regularly. Even the fitting that the pins at the end of the bulb go into can act up. Long term switching to 230v will be less trouble imo

And that would involve what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Removing the transformers
    Buying GU10 connections
    So you can use GU10 leds

mayhem# wrote:

Sorry forgot to come back to you. Been busy on the pope thread.
    Stoner wrote:
    Removing the transformers Buying GU10 connections So you can use GU10 leds

Exactly as Stoner says

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

mayhem# wrote: »

An electrician most likely...or is that #electrician?

• Advertisement

aido79 wrote:
    An electrician most likely...or is that #electrician?

What's with all the hash tags the last few days? I've noticed lots on boards.ie. I feel left out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    What's with all the hash tags the last few days? I've noticed lots on boards.ie. I feel left out?

I'm not sure. I'm of the opinion that hashtags are for Twitter and Twitter is for twits.

aido79 wrote:
    I'm not sure. I'm of the opinion that hashtags are for Twitter and Twitter is for twits.

Makes sense ty

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Two choices:
    1: replace the 20 year old fitting with a new LED fitting: c 15 to 20 euro a fitting.
    2: replace bulbs with LED R63's ..................................c 7 euro a bulb

Which is the better longer term technical solution, ignoring fitting costs?
    :D # :D

I think the new fitting looks better

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement