Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Concert in Phoenix Park

Options
  • 26-08-2018 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Was there plans a few years ago for U2 to play a free concert in the Park? Can't remember the reason why it fell through.

Just looking at the Ariel footage from the mass there today. Wouldn't it be great if U2 did put on a free gig one day. I'm sure they could top the 1 million attendance if the did.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Problem with a “free” concert is that someone needs to pay for the cost of actually setting up, licenses, permits, security etc....
    Though I’d wonder would money taken for food, merchandise etc cover that? Unlikely I suppose .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Was there plans a few years ago for U2 to play a free concert in the Park? Can't remember the reason why it fell through.

Just looking at the Ariel footage from the mass there today. Wouldn't it be great if U2 did put on a free gig one day. I'm sure they could top the 1 million attendance if the did.

And what if the tickets were taken by those who never intend going to the concert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

And what if the tickets were taken by those who never intend going to the concert?

Tickets can be handed out on the day as people pass through the security checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

A lot of people objected to getting a free album on their iphones, to the extent Bono had to apologise, so I think a lot wouldn't even cross the street to go to one of their concerts.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/oct/15/u2-bono-issues-apology-for-apple-itunes-album-download

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

A lot of people objected to getting a free album on their iphones, to the extent Bono had to apologise, so I think a lot wouldn't even cross the street to go to one of their concerts.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/oct/15/u2-bono-issues-apology-for-apple-itunes-album-download

:)

For the record I'm not a U2 fan!

Just think a free concert on the site the Pope was would be great. Think Simon & Garfunkel in Central Park, The Rolling Stones on Copacabana etc. U2 probably best suited for the Phoenix Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Disappointed - thought this was another Pope thread... :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Robbie Williams promised to hold a free concert in Ireland about 15 years ago. He was on tour at the time iirc. Dont think he did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Robbie Williams promised to hold a free concert in Ireland about 15 years ago. He was on tour at the time iirc. Don't think he did it.

He did a problematic show in 2006 and - by way of apology - made a throwaway comment from the stage that he'd come back one day and play for free. He got around fulfilling this promise by doing a low production charity show in the O2 in 2012, so it was "free", in that it was a benefit gig (for UNICEF and Childline) and he wasn't getting the proceeds.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Then you will likely get closer to the front and a better view.

I expect many avid U2 fans objected to the way this album was forced upon them. They might have thought it was the best album ever but on principle would object. If they sent notification for a free gig to every single iphone user in Ireland, and it had some video that took up lots of space etc -then yes, certainly expect more complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Problem with a “free” concert is that someone needs to pay for the cost of actually setting up, licenses, permits, security etc....
    The Government can put 32m toward it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

He did a problematic show in 2006 and - by way of apology - made a throwaway comment from the stage that he'd come back one day and play for free. He got around fulfilling this promise by doing a low production charity show in the O2 in 2012, so it was "free", in that it was a benefit gig (for UNICEF and Childline) and he wasn't getting the proceeds.

And it was a bloody brilliant gig too!! The O2 was hopping that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

lambayire wrote: »
    And it was a bloody brilliant gig too!! The O2 was hopping that night.

That was a great gig! Would love to see him play smaller venues again. Weirdly, David Gest was in the row in front of us and we were dying to ask him how long he'd spent online applying for the free tickets :pac:

Advertisement