Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Artane Band

• 26-08-2018 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

Cue thousands of Google hits on it after some oul fella walked behind the BBC reporter with a "Disband the Artane Band" sign.

What is the issue with it? Don't want to crash Google by joining the rush for info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Witchie wrote: »
    Cue thousands of Google hits on it after some oul fella walked behind the BBC reporter with a "Disband the Artane Band" sign.

What is the issue with it? Don't want to crash Google by joining the rush for info.

Wasn’t there abuse of boys going in or sommink?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Wut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Probably some nutjob to go along with the rest of the nutjobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I heard that they're fond of playing the flute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,548 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The band appears to be a major positive for the local community so I don't see the issue.

Rather see young people playing instruments than taking drugs or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

A group who have no clue what The Artane Band stands for now. The link between the Christian Brothers and the band has been severed a long time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

That was my risky click of the day.

Should it not be a .ie domain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The band appears to be a major positive for the local community so I don't see the issue.

Rather see young people playing instruments than taking drugs or whatever.

Nah, the answer to honoring abused children is always to punish some different children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,548 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

verycool wrote: »
    That was my risky click of the day.

Should it not be a .ie domain?

I am guessing the .ie domain registry wouldn't allow you register the .ie domain with no official links to the band.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

To cut a long story short, the Artane Band used to be connected with Artane Industrial School (a horrific place) , which is now St. David’s.

No connection to the Cristian Brothers now however.

You may recognize them from the All-Ireland Finals where traditionally they march pre-match and play the anthem.

Artane is also a suburb which the band/school is named after. Which in turn is named after Artaine Castle, which belonged to the Hollywood family and no longer exists.

Source: See username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

To cut a long story short, the Artane Band used to be connected with Artane Industrial School (a horrific place) , which is now St. David’s.

No connection to the Cristian Brothers now however.

You may recognize them from the All-Ireland Finals where traditionally they march pre-match and play the anthem.

Artane is also a suburb which the band/school is named after. Which in turn is named after Artaine Castle, which belonged to the Hollywood family and no longer exists.

I heard the arson attack about twenty years ago was by an pupil who broke in climbed to the floor and petrol down the main staircase .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Don't see the problem, the industrial school no longer exists and the name refers to the area now.

The uniforms still give me a headache with the colour combo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Hold on...where have I been doing my shopping for the last 20 years then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭NOVA MCMXCIV

zuutroy wrote: »
    Hold on...where have I been doing my shopping for the last 20 years then?
    Malahide castle??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Malahaide castle??
    FYP

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I heard that they're fond of playing the flute.

Young children were horrifically abused over decades in that institution and Artane Band - yet you think this is funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Campogna

anewme wrote: »
    Young children were horrifically abused over decades in that institution and Artane Band - yet you think this is funny?

Gallow's humour is a thing...

Advertisement