Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Regarding Overtime Request

Options
  • 26-08-2018 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of a weird one cos I don't have the head for this sort of thing.

I work less than 20 hours a week, but they're asking me to cover a weekend activity for 10 hours spread over Sat and Sun.

HR have declined my request for overtime pay and instead will only offer TIL.

Also, I feel bullied in to doing this activity as it comes across that I'm not really being given the option to refuse!

I know I'm very lucky to have a job nowadays, but wondering what are my rights here! Do I just "shut up and put up"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,744 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

What does your contract say? Are you paid an hourly rate or on a salary?

I have to do weekend work once a quarter or so and I don't get paid overtime either, which is pretty much par for the course in salaried roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭dennyk

If you're getting paid hourly, TIL is a pretty good deal to be honest, considering they wouldn't ordinarily owe you anything at all for overtime pay even if they had such a policy (as it'd usually just be for hours over 40 or so in a week, or whatever amount your company considers a full work week). If you're getting salary, it's not as good a deal, but still reasonable enough I'd say, assuming it's a rare event (not every other week or something; that should probably encourage some renegotiation of your salary if it gets to that point) and the TIL is genuine and they won't give you problems about actually using it.

As for feeling bullied, well, your employer can tell you when they need you to work, unless your contract defines strict working hours or a specific schedule for you and has no provision for altering or exceeding them from time to time (most contracts will usually include such a flexibility provision, and asking you to add on a single weekend shift on an infrequent basis would likely fall under such a clause since it doesn't represent a permanent and ongoing alteration of the terms of your working hours). That's not really bullying, that's being assigned to work by your employer, which is sort of how the whole "employment" deal works. Generally you aren't able to simply refuse to do something your employer asks of you unless it goes against your contract or otherwise violates the law, at least not without inviting disciplinary consequences as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I know I'm very lucky to have a job nowadays, but wondering what are my rights here! Do I just "shut up and put up"?

4% unemployment. Just say no.

Advertisement