Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So many races cancelled

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

Personally i'd like commission to have more powers buts its a real dammed if you and dammed if you dont story..maybe better to have delegates have their say at agm etc..you get the feedback if commission makes unpopular decisions..who do them few think they are kind of stuff..commission is active though and lots of stuff to go to agm again..a lot of the stuff re grading worked this year balancing out the fields etc..junior upgrades worked too even though i was opposed to it..theme of this thread re race cancellations is very important to commission too..working on stuff for calender next yr whereby there may be a few less events listed but the ones that are are def going to happen.hats off to carlow who have added a race in sept and also event in borris on ossory later in sept.every little helps

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

wav1 wrote: »
    .there is nothing in the regulations saying you have to have an ambulance..medical cover it says and thats very.loose..d.

I actually had to look it up, I really thought an ambulance was necessary but it says first aid support in the technical regs. Don't think I'd be confident running a race without one though. They are all certified and signed off. Having a few riders rock up and say they have a first aid cert leads to having to get them to provide certs (first aid cert is two years now until it must be renewed I think). But that's me, and every organisers choice. I know the local gardai talked to were a lot happier when we mentioned having one when meeting them.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,416 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As I've already indicated there should be a safety plan in place and if a club commits in that to ambulance cover they leave themselves (the club and it's committee members) exposed if they then run the race without cover. Same for any other safety matters covered in the plan. If they say marshals will be placed at a corner and none turn up if there's then an accident art that corner the club and relevant officers could be claimed against. You cannot just pay lip service to these safety plans as they are effectively part of the insurance "contract"

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gekko1

RobFowl wrote: »
    Gekko1 wrote: »
    Maybe it should be then? I recall this issue was discussed before the last CI AGM?

If you feel it should be mandatory make a submission through CI for the AGM then go to the AGM and argue for it...
    No I won't waste my time on that one.Thats a typical cop out reply. I will carry on entering pre registration races like I have done for the past number of years. There are plenty to chose from in Ulster & I travel to most (for a family man) & if I do sign up & cant make it £15 lost so hardly a big deal. I might miss 2/3 a season for hardly a deal breaker.
    Maybe time the cycling scene in the other provinces to ditch the happy go lucky attitude & follow suit. There is not much complicated in pre reg'in races & it doesn't have to be through the CI website either. Riders who take the chance to sign on on the day only have themselves to blame but if there is space left the more the merrier.
    I can't see why the need to get this passed at an AGM anyway. Surely it is up to the clubs to enforce & maintain? Most clubs run 1/2 races a year so hardly a big ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

wav1 wrote: »
    hats off to carlow who have added a race in sept and also event in borris on ossory later in sept.every little helps

Bad news on this one now I’m afraid .... from Facebook ....

Ossory CC Road Race CANCELLED.
    Hi All, we have had to make the decision to cancel this years inaugural 'end of season road race' scheduled for the 23th September. Unfortunately there are just too many unforeseen obstacles hindering the running of this event safely so we will have to try again next year.
    Thanks to all who have recently showed an interest in participating.

• Advertisement

There should be a big turn out for Lucan and Carlow, I hear plenty of people talking about it. There is still a great few weeks of racing ahead. So don't get too disheartened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

No I won't waste my time on that one.Thats a typical cop out reply...
    I can't see why the need to get this passed at an AGM anyway. Surely it is up to the clubs to enforce & maintain? Most clubs run 1/2 races a year so hardly a big ask?

It's not a cop out, it's a simple request that if you care about an issue, you should do something about it instead of complaining on the internet.

If you're not interested in passing a motion at the AGM, that must mean you either don't care that much about the issue, or you trust the volunteers and clubs who run races to run them as they see fit (i.e. no pre-reg in many cases).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No I won't waste my time on that one.Thats a typical cop out reply.

Suppose you are correct, moaning anonymously on the internet is far more likely to achieve change...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gekko1

No I won't waste my time on that one.Thats a typical cop out reply.

Suppose you are correct, moaning anonymously on the internet is far more likely to achieve change...
    It's hardly moaning. I already said I'm happy to go to keep going to pre registered races so I really don't give much of a frig what's cancelled.

It's hardly moaning. I already said I'm happy to go to keep going to pre registered races so I really don't give much of a frig what's cancelled.

It takes more time than people expect to put on even basic races. While pre reg suits me now, when it was first announced it really didn't. I worked nights and was on call. I would not know until midnight Friday whether I would make a race in the morning or not. I don't think it is fair of me to have a 180 degree turn about because it suits me now.

Also the 15euro is alot to some riders, I know some who pick and choose limited races because that is their budget for the month or even year.

The truth of the matter is, until CI put in a safety net for clubs on races, then organisers should be free to make this choice themselves. I know one club lost a few thousand this year, another called off an event (possibly a bit to early) because the numbers were not looking great. Those who choose for entry on the day know the risks and hope for the best.

Getting rid of prize money at A4 and possibly A3, takes away any issue of it being a club trying to make money and a limited number of moan bags, and just a rule to follow. Even alternative prizes could be limited to top 3.

Ambulances, Comms, food, petrol. Even for a short race you are looking at 750euro, less if you have like many clubs who have people who don't ask for money for the petrol or food. Is the hall you are using getting rented or donated for the day. Every race you have on the day doubles your comms costs and petrol costs. And the truth is ambulances and Comms are far cheaper than you'd expect but not cheap enough that anything under 40 riders per race (excluding prizes and a load of other costs I have not mentioned).

Then you are putting your club and your name on the line thanks to social media and a complete lack of appreciation from some riders who have never once picked up a marshal flag, giving out that they expect some sort of layout, like you would get with a 70euro Triathlon event for 15euro.

I only help out at one open race, and if possible I volunteer to marshal at others if asked (although family and work have neutered that this year), but I do help organise 20 league races a year and that is a pain in the ass, but the main benefit is that there is little to no cost risk here, not sure if I would do as much if I had to hold it to open race standards every week.

• Advertisement

Just about sums it up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Bit of a joke really. Racing in Leinster is propped up by a very small amount of clubs. It's always the same lads organising races. Theres little to no thanks for putting it on but god forbid you have a genuine reason for cancelling. Some of the comments elsewhere sayings that it's "disgraceful" that the race was called off. People need to start looking at their own clubs and what they can do to help the road scene.

I supposed cycling Ireland could take the stance and not allow clubs to just pop up all over the place, clubs of late seem to start as a leisure, branch in everything, gather a few racers but nobody wants to host races. The old clubs of the country going back all did their bit, i think at one stage it was a requirement that each club had to host a race.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I supposed cycling Ireland could take the stance and not allow clubs to just pop up all over the place, clubs of late seem to start as a leisure, branch in everything, gather a few racers but nobody wants to host races. The old clubs of the country going back all did their bit, i think at one stage it was a requirement that each club had to host a race.

Get your point but CI is about far more than racing these days. 75% of members do not have a racing licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Get your point but CI is about far more than racing these days. 75% of members do not have a racing licence.

I know what you mean Rob. What they should be about is bringing cyclists to the peak potential but I think that's be long lost in the accounts system when you see memberships go from a target of 2500 in year 2000 to over 20000 in recent years. Not really down to their doing either.
    Back in the early 2000s every member of CI was an active racer, car driver , manager etc but sure we know it's changed but too quick to manage the format and ensure good consistent racing.

Those clubs that have x amount of active road racing cyclists should promote something.even if they find the thought daunting or overwhelming get together with other clubs in the same boat,spread the workload and for example 4 clubs get together and put on a promotion.they will find its not the huge task they envisaged at all and we all will have a better and far more sustainable calendar of events.

Advertisement