Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you enjoy life

• 26-08-2018 9:11pm
    Site Banned Posts: 55 ✭✭Candyshell

As per the title, do you enjoy life? When you die would you be happy to be born again or would you be happy to disappear into nothingness?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

I wouldn't mind a second shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I love and enjoy every minute of life. As for the second part of your question; it's neither for me. I wouldn't want to be reborn nor to disappear in to nothingness. I have a strong faith in God and all that entails regarding death - I know dinosaur etc but that's my belief. Much as I enjoy life, I have no fear of death either.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Tis grand till the bills come in.

And the drugs used to be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Yes between the hours of 5pm and 7.30am. The other 9 and a half hours are bollocks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

INPHO_00132810.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Yes, started a genuine complete life change this year, gave up, sold up, moved away and started a new adventure, scary but great fun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Meh, it has its ups and downs, but I'm pretty lucky all told. Sure I've not the life I might have, but I've had some good times, some wonderful times and the bad times, well they come to us all, but have been generally and thankfully brief. I have found the meh times to be more of a grind actually.

Now I could complain, but then I think of the millions of poor bastards this very night sleeping rough across the world, with empty bellies, or poor divils dying hard in hospitals before their time, if they're even in hospitals, or even people reading this whose lives are a lot tougher than we know, and I realise my life could be a helluva lot worse.

Indeed I would consider myself a selfish bastard of the highest bloody order if I were to start moaning beyond the odd healthy short term whinge from time to time. Being born in a western liberal nation with a lot of social and societal support means that for the majority of us we've essentially won the lottery out of the womb. My personal opinion is that so many of us need to get some perspective in our lives and realise how lucky most of us are.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

I love it, so far anyways, been through some rough things just like everyone has to go through, but it could be worse. I love learning and listening to new things so I feel blessed in the current environment, time and situation I'm existing in because there is no better time in known history where that sort of interest and curiosity can be mined and grasped to such a huge, convenient and vast level than it is today.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I try to but my life is tough and sad and scary at times. I try to create more happiness to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭indioblack

Wibbs wrote: »
    Meh, it has its ups and downs, but I'm pretty lucky all told. Sure I've not the life I might have, but I've had some good times, some wonderful times and the bad times, well they come to us all, but have been generally and thankfully brief. I have found the meh times to be more of a grind actually.

Now I could complain, but then I think of the millions of poor bastards this very night sleeping rough across the world, with empty bellies, or poor divils dying hard in hospitals before their time, if they're even in hospitals, or even people reading this whose lives are a lot tougher than we know, and I realise my life could be a helluva lot worse.

Indeed I would consider myself a selfish bastard of the highest bloody order if I were to start moaning beyond the odd healthy short term whinge from time to time. Being born in a western liberal nation with a lot of social and societal support means that for the majority of us we've essentially won the lottery out of the womb. My personal opinion is that so many of us need to get some perspective in our lives and realise how lucky most of us are.
    Spot on. Wouldn't mind being 40 years younger, though. "If I knew then what I know now".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Not really. Low self-esteem which has led to a semi-dependence on alcohol and a stressful job that often keeps me awake at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Not really. Low self-esteem which has led to a semi-dependence on alcohol and a stressful job that often keeps me awake at night.

Isn’t your marriage always on the ropes too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Bits and pieces but most of it is out of my control and means I can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I love life now. I feel I wasted several years in my late 20s, early 30s but I live life as fully as I can now. I am 40+ now and I have even gone back hurling - great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

I wouldn't mind a second go as long as I could have a road map of my current life.

I'm happy enough though, messed up many times but have had really good experiences too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I do enjoy it, for the most part. It has its ups and downs, but as Wibbs was saying, most of us do complain about problems other people would give their right arm to even have.

That said, I do think once is plenty, thank you very much. I would not particularly want to come back, and in quiet moments I do look forward to the eternity of non-existence ahead. Nothingness has its attractions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Star Bingo wrote: »
    Isn’t your marriage always on the ropes too?

I have no idea what you are on about? I’m not married.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

indioblack wrote: »
    Spot on. Wouldn't mind being 40 years younger, though. "If I knew then what I know now".
    True, but if I went back I'd likely be killed off in short order by some atomic powered horror STD. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Life sucks. Next life/reincarnation/etc? Either I come back as Superman or GTFO!

Yes. Life’s for living. The past is gone. Look forward but remember the past.

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    That said, I do think once is plenty, thank you very much. I would not particularly want to come back,
    Oh Hell, I would SS. I'd love to live for centuries, to see what happens, to see and learn and feel more, to live many more lifetimes, wherever that adventure might take me, to not have the usual frail and all too short human time limits.

Me. Earlier.

giphy.gif

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Whocanibe

I enjoy life, I'm happy and content. There's been lots of ups and downs, and I wish my health was a bit better, but there's a lot worse off than me, and I'm grateful for what I have and try not to take it for granted. I have worked hard all my life to get to this point.

Would I come back? Hell no, it took too long to get here. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

I've enjoyed it mostly, have some regrets and would change some things looking back.
    I've had days I didn't want to what I had to do, but I've never had a day I didn't want to be alive thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Yes. Life’s for living. The past is gone. Look forward but remember the past.

Its why right now is a gift....its the present. The past we cant change and the future isnt ours to see.....I try to be as happy as I can right now.

• Site Banned Posts: 55 ✭✭Candyshell

Shenshen wrote: »
    I do enjoy it, for the most part. It has its ups and downs, but as Wibbs was saying, most of us do complain about problems other people would give their right arm to even have.

That said, I do think once is plenty, thank you very much. I would not particularly want to come back, and in quiet moments I do look forward to the eternity of non-existence ahead. Nothingness has its attractions.

That tells me you don't actually enjoy it if you wouldn't choose to have another go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I cringe a lot about the embarrassing stupid shi* I did and then I think of all the times I got lucky.
    alternative gimli is blind, dead and has no job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Cushtie

I suppose it's not too bad. Like most have ups and downs. I go a bit hard on myself at times that I can't seem to actually enjoy life. It's a hard one to describe.

Someting that irks me greatly is I'm in my early 40's and still can't decide what I want to do with myself work/career wise. Feel like I'm waiting for that to fall into place so I can actually start enjoying life. Sad way to be at this age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Do I enjoy life? No, not particularly. Can't wait for the nothingness to be honest. No feelings to have to deal with then

• Site Banned Posts: 55 ✭✭Candyshell

Cushtie wrote: »
    I suppose it's not too bad. Like most have ups and downs. I go a bit hard on myself at times that I can't seem to actually enjoy life. It's a hard one to describe.

Someting that irks me greatly is I'm in my early 40's and still can't decide what I want to do with myself work/career wise. Feel like I'm waiting for that to fall into place so I can actually start enjoying life. Sad way to be at this age.

When did you stop enjoying life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I have a few (small) regrets, not going to college is one, now in my mid-40's with a decent enough but non-professional shift work job.

My marriage is a happy one thankfully, nice house with a small-ish mortgage. I live in a picturesque rural area, and have a lot to be thankful for.

When I kick the bucket, I hope it will be a swift death. Lingering on for years being kept alive - but not living, is a real fear I have. I saw relatives go that way - horrible!

So yes, I'm happy. There are things I'd like to change - but wouldn't know where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TheShockmaster

Yep, just had my first child, so I'd say I'm very happy

Took me a long time to appreciate it, but now I do. Life is glorious. Also, very curious as to what comes after, but I'm not in a rush to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Candyshell wrote: »
    Cushtie wrote: »

When did you stop enjoying life?

Ah, it's a hard one to articulate. Maybe I should have said that I dont think I enjoy life as much as I should. Considering I am very lucky to be happily married. Financially ok , healthy etc. Just missing that bit of.........contentment I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

If you don't have some struggle in life then it's not a life.

I do except when i'm studying
    or deadlifting

• Advertisement

Taytoland wrote: »
    If you don't have some struggle in life then it's not a life.

Different strokes for different folks. There's no struggle in my life (I'm completely stress free), and it suits me very well.

Terry Wogan was asked what it was like at his age.
    "Better than the alternative", was his reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

I have no idea what you are on about? I’m not married.

TV programme??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

I used to really enjoy life and never sat still then I suffered an unexplained nerve injury which is slowly getting worse with no medical help in sight. Im losing the use of my arm.Now I don't even bother anymore. It wouldn't bother me to think I die on my way to work in the morning.

Am I the only one who's met people who I reckon I knew in a previous life?

But no, I cant say I enjoy life..I try, but my life took an unfortunate turn a few years ago..I've been struggling since..

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    I do except when i'm studying
    or deadlifting
    Except you choose to deadlift you mad bugger. :D*note to self: avoid arm wrestling or fist fighting with BW*

Wibbs wrote: »
    Except you choose to deadlift you mad bugger. :D*note to self: avoid arm wrestling or fist fighting with BW*

I chose to study as well. clearly hate myself

don't worry, deadlifting is all in the legs. stay away from kickboxing me or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

Yes I enjoy life for the most part. I have a great partner and daughter. I enjoy my job and apart from a few niggling health issues that I'm trying to get sorted, I feel great most if the time. Very lucky when I think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

Hmm, I can't say I'm particularly enjoying it right now. For the past few months life feels more like an endurance test. It has felt like this before, many years ago when I didn't want to live another day or another moment or another second. It's not that bad this time, it's actually just a bit meh.

I'm hopeful this isn't a permanent state of meh. Right now life seems utterly pointless, too much effort with little return for it.

But it hasn't always felt like this and with a bit of help it won't feel like this in the future. I don't think I'd like to be reincarnated. Once is enough thanks. Not that I'm in a hurry to kick the bucket either though, I don't feel like I'm "finished" yet.

bluewolf wrote: »
    don't worry, deadlifting is all in the legs. stay away from kickboxing me or something

Me. Hoping not to be in the bishops cassock on the left.

Brennan-Arse.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Class of 82

Not at the moment but fully aware a few small changes will make all the difference to my overall happiness.

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

As long as you keep crushing your enemies, see them driven before you, and them listen to the lamentation of the women you’ll love life.

Or Stan Laurel on his deathbed.
    "I'd rather be skiing".
    "Why?" asked the nurse.
    "Well, I'd rather be skiing than doing this."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

In spite of some tough issues I'm enjoying life. I think to enjoy life is a choice, an attitude and a personal responsibility.

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

indioblack wrote: »
    Or Stan Laurel on his deathbed.
    "I'd rather be skiing".
    "Why?" asked the nurse.
    "Well, I'd rather be skiing than doing this."

He seemed like such a nice bloke. Spent his last years in a modest apartment writing letters back to his fans if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement