Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neil Simon

• 26-08-2018 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭

Just came on the news that Neil Simon has died.
    Brilliant playwright. Wrote for stage, screen, radio and TV.
    For me the best of Jewish-American humour.
    Barefoot in the Park, The Out of Towners with Jack Lemmon, Biloxi Blues, The Odd Couple, a prolific writer.
    I discovered he wrote for The Phil Silvers Show - why can't the Americans make comedy sitcoms like this anymore?
    My favourite film of his was The Prisoner of Second Avenue with Jack Lemmon and Anne Bancroft. He created the story of a man having a nervous breakdown and made it funny, but added pathos, spirit and kindness.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Big loss. One of the architects of that kind of sharp New York humour which we take for granted now - Larry David, Jerry Seinfeld et al owe a debt to him. I love The Goodbye Girl movie - Richard Dreyfuss's performance in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Also wrote the screenplay for the original Heartbreak Kid, the central figure of which inspired many facets of Fr Ted's character, basically keep lying and digging a deeper and deeper hole for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Plaza Suite is brilliant; remember seeing it late on RTE 1 on a Friday, after the LLS.
    Also kudos for mentioning The Prisoner Of Second Avenue; Anne Bancroft is great in that . James Last does a brilliant version of the main theme on his Well Kept Secret LP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭indioblack

Plaza Suite is brilliant; remember seeing it late on RTE 1 on a Friday, after the LLS.
    Also kudos for mentioning The Prisoner Of Second Avenue; Anne Bancroft is great in that . James Last does a brilliant version of the main theme on his Well Kept Secret LP.
    I recall the part where Jack Lemmon corrects her, "It was sedated, not tranquilized".
    "I don't care if you were petrified".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I love Brighton Beach Memoirs and Biloxi Blues. RIP to a great talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I never saw the play, but I enjoyed the film and TV versions of The Odd Couple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Call me Al

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Call me Al
    That was Chevy Chase

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

keep on rockin' in the free world

• Advertisement
Advertisement