Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazing Irish nightlife

• 26-08-2018 11:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭

So been our in 2 Dublin city pubs last week and had one of the worst experiences of my life. Queueing up for up to 30 minutes to get a drink. Really? I'm your customer and I have to wait and queue up like I am boarding a plane to pay outrageous costs for a pint or half a bottle of beer which comes in at a bargain €6. How I spent my night:
    Queuing up
    Pushing through massive crowds to get to my seat. What a joke.
    Is there any place that is good and isn't completely overwhelmed by humans at weekends in Dublin or is really every pub in Dublin is like lining up to go into the meatgrinder. How can people enjoy this misery. Reminds me of one of those Japan rush hour train videos where they have staff forcibly pushing commuters into the train to be able to close the door.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Was expecting a report about the vintage Don Conroy interview with Éamon de Buitléar about foxes, owls and the like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

thats how I love to spend my weekends, queuing for beer and queuing for a piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Pretzeluck wrote: »
    So been our in 2 Dublin city pubs last week and had one of the worst experiences of my life. Queueing up for up to 30 minutes to get a drink. Really? I'm your customer and I have to wait and queue up like I am boarding a plane to pay outrageous costs for a pint or half a bottle of beer which comes in at a bargain €6. How I spent my night:
    Queuing up
    Is there any place that is good and isn't completely overwhelmed by humans at weekends in Dublin or is really every pub in Dublin is like lining up to go into the meatgrinder. How can people enjoy this misery. Reminds me of one of those Japan rush hour train videos where they have staff forcibly pushing commuters into the train to be able to close the door.
    What pubs?
    Where are you looking?

Go to the west coast, fall in with some locals, get a carry out and go to a party. In my experience that is the best nightlife you will have in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,214 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If I ever went to a pub that I had to queue 30mins to get a pint in, I would be out the door in a flash, never to return.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

NIMAN wrote: »
    If I ever went to a pub that I had to queue 30mins to get a pint in, I would be out the door in a flash, never to return.

If you waited a half an hour for a pint you wouldnt have left in a flash. Youd have left after at least a half an hour.

If youd left in a flash you wouldnt have waited a half an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Why didnt you leave when you saw the place was crowded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The few times I'm in Dublin, I like to go to Sin e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Queuing up

Go to a quiet pub in England in the middle of the day and you’ll have a similar wait.

YFlyer wrote: »

That’s it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

Why didnt you leave when you saw the place was crowded?

Coerced by mates who didn't want to leave and I didn't want to finish my night before it even started.

If you waited a half an hour for a pint you wouldnt have left in a flash. Youd have left after at least a half an hour.

It is called sizing up the situation and estimating the length of wait.

I've only been in one place like that in years and I was out the door in ten minutes. Some fancy Western style pub that decided that to bring authenticity, they'd make people queue for drinks, in a country where no one queues for drinks. I felt like a herded sheep.

That’s it?

I won't go thirsty at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

Drinkers don't have any concept of time and logic is not on their minds !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Was expecting a report about the vintage Don Conroy interview with Éamon de Buitléar about foxes, owls and the like.

Jesus I used to love Don Conroy, had a few of his colouring books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Queuing up

Was in 2 Dublin city centre pubs 3 weeks ago on a Sat night and didn't have to wait more than 30 seconds to get served in either of them.
    You're going to the wrong pubs OP.

I've only been in one place like that in years and I was out the door in ten minutes. Some fancy Western style pub that decided that to bring authenticity, they'd make people queue for drinks, in a country where no one queues for drinks. I felt like a herded sheep.

Any place that has those brass poles and velvet ropes that you have to queue inside to get in I avoid. Usually it's a ploy by the owners to make it look more exclusive and busier than it actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Go to a quiet pub in England in the middle of the day and you’ll have a similar wait.

Stop the lights. The traditional English pub in middle England is the most boring place imaginable. And the bar staff in England are utterly sh*t, one customer at a time and one drink at a time. Useless.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Stop the lights. The traditional English pub in middle England is the most boring place imaginable. And the bar staff in England are utterly sh*t, one customer at a time and one drink at a time. Useless.

Ah 'everything English is sh1t because it's English'

Not really no. Had some relaxing pints in a few English rural pubs, usually had a resident well-behaved dog too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭monty_python

YFlyer wrote: »

Isn't that in cork?

Not really no. Had some relaxing pints in a few English rural pubs, usually had a resident well-behaved dog too.

It’s nothing to do with England per se, it’s that bar staff there are useless. As already said generally they serve one person one drink at a time whereas over here you can shout an order in one and the bar person will take a similar order off the person beside you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

At this point you could throw in 'What have you learned? What are you going to do differently?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,399 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Stop going to bars in the absolute centre of the city, simple solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Not a fan of dogs in pubs. Kids likewise :mad:

As mentioned, some English pubs can be great, but it is the ****é bar staff that let them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Isn't that in cork?
    There is one in cork and one in Dublin (ormond quay)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Anyone who thinks Ireland has "Amazing Night LIFE" hasn't been around much,
    We have amazing pubs no question but Nightlife not so much, Even in Dublin only nightlife is a few crap night clubs , Infact u'd struggle to name 3 Amazing Clubs in the whole country ,
    Thankfully my days of nightlife are over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Eh no. I've lived in England over a decade and enjoy plenty about it. Just not their boring pubs and slow pint pouring culture.

It's gas how you make a criticism or observation about England on this forum and some posters are mad to portray you as some seething barstool nationalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

VinLieger wrote: »
    Stop going to bars in the absolute centre of the city, simple solution
    I stand by McGrattan's just off Baggot Street being one of the better spots if you want a no-nonsense pint or whiskey in the city centre.  Usually easy to get a table and it's just hidden away enough to avoid too much casual foot-fall from the tourists who tend to drift into O'Donoghues or Toner's (though I dop enjoy these places too).  

Prices are a different story though.  O'Reilly's (the one hidden behind Tara Street Dart station) does a 4 quid pint and is a decent shout.  Again -- it avoids the tourist foot-fall given its relative invisibility from the street!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

usually had a resident well-behaved dog too.

So it is true.

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

That is so true. I don’t know how many times I left pubs when I lived there because no one would serve me. They do their best to avoid eye contact and start doing things like wiping down the bar while people are waiting. Would drive you barmy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

LOL, I have never waited anything near that, in any pub in Ireland, England, or Scotland, or anywhere for that matter. Be in City, surburan, in in the middle of the bloody sticks.
    Anyone who thinks Ireland has "Amazing Night LIFE" hasn't been around much,
    We have amazing pubs no question but Nightlife not so much, Even in Dublin only nightlife is a few crap night clubs , Infact u'd struggle to name 3 Amazing Clubs in the whole country ,
    Thankfully my days of nightlife are over

Obviously never been to Toffs in Sligo, or the Grill in Letterkenny then.

:D

Advertisement