Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Erasmus, what happens if you can't afford it?

Options
  • 27-08-2018 9:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi guys.

I have a boy going into UCD this year and he was telling me yesterday at the dinner table about this Erasmus thing UCD offer in 2nd year.

Is this true? If so can anyone point me to some info on it.

I was concerned about the financial side of it, would this mean I would have to pay for accomdation and all day to day expenses for him to stay there (in an exchange university abroad)

Sort of finding that difficult, as I have 4 kids and 2 going into university at the same time!

Anyhow, appreciate the replies.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Apologies but I've no real advice regarding this, but if you can't afford it, you can't afford it, he will need to be told. He could of course be encouraged to take on a small job if he was determined to pursue this great opportunity, there could of course be funding opportunities to help with costs, ucd might be able to advise there. Best of luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Apologies but I've no real advice regarding this, but if you can't afford it, you can't afford it, he will need to be told. He could of course be encouraged to take on a small job if he was determined to pursue this great opportunity, there could of course be funding opportunities to help with costs, ucd might be able to advise there. Best of luck

I may speak to him about getting a job perhaps, to save up. Thanks anyhow I was tryna beat a case but I ain't beat that case, I did the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Erasmus is optional. If you can't afford just don't do it. Tell him if he wants to spend a year abroad he can either finance it himself or wait 3-4 years until he graduates and then he can do an EVS year through the Erasmus+ programme or the EU volunteer Corps fully funded by the EU.

Erasmus is optional. If you can't afford just don't do it. Tell him if he wants to spend a year abroad he can either finance it himself or wait 3-4 years until he graduates and then he can do an EVS year through the Erasmus+ programme or the EU volunteer Corps fully funded by the EU.

Ah thanks. I understand. I'll try save some money in the meanwhile, would have liked him to go somewhere for at least 6 months out of Ireland, without having to take a loan

• Registered Users Posts: 22 maork1

I did Erasmus 2 years ago and there is a grant called Erasmus+ that everyone who went on Erasmus got. If I remember correctly it varied between €200-€250 depending on the country you go to.

I went to Poland and got €200 a month from it, enough to pay the cost of renting a room in Poland each month.

If he went to a cheap country that grant is very handy.

• Advertisement

maork1 wrote: »
    I did Erasmus 2 years ago and there is a grant called Erasmus+ that everyone who went on Erasmus got. If I remember correctly it varied between €200-€250 depending on the country you go to.

I went to Poland and got €200 a month from it, enough to pay the cost of renting a room in Poland each month.

If he went to a cheap country that grant is very handy.

I didn't know this. Thanks so much. I'll look into that! So there is funding for students after all! I didn't think there was anything for them as SUSI AND HEE have already paid him to go to college and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

You'll have to pay as if he's attending in Ireland, then he'll receive between €200 to €250 per month depending on the country he goes to.

Highly recommended if it's affordable at all, it's a fantastic experience, the majority of people who do it describe it as one of their best college years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I didn't know this. Thanks so much. I'll look into that! So there is funding for students after all! I didn't think there was anything for them as SUSI AND HEE have already paid him to go to college and all that

Ah if you ask around, you ll find the odd nugget, keep knocking on doors

• Registered Users Posts: 22 maork1

Yeah definitely look it up, everyone I was on erasmus with got this grant from the EU, I don't think its means tested either everyone just gets it. Its called the Erasmus+ grant. I'd say if you contacted the erasmus department in UCD they would be able to tell you about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Get him to start saving now. Also if he's studying a language it will do wonders for his cv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

The International Office has some information about Erasmus exchanges and grants available on their website. It might be worth taking a look at it: http://www.ucd.ie/international/going-abroad-with-ucd/exchanges/how-to-apply/

While students can apply to the International Office for places to study abroad, some schools also offer them. Usually they'll contact students, let them know about it and where they can go, language requirements (if any), etc.

But if it's not feasible for him to go on Erasmus, don't worry - most students don't study abroad during their degree, so he won't be alone, but I know why he'd like to.

Advertisement