Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Lucan with 2y old- Ballydowd Manor or Esker?

• 27-08-2018 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I would appreciate your help here guys, as myself and my wife (and our 2Y old daughter) are considering to buy a house in Ballydowd Manor or Esker area in Lucan.
    Any comments (good or bad) about the area or the other areas around Penny Hill Pub would be highly appreciated.
    We just want to know if this a place for a family as we live in Dublin at the moment.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

I would lean towards the Esker side of the Penny Hill personally speaking. You hear the odd bit of anti social history on the other side but from my own experience you wouldn't get it around Esker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Cubu81

Thank you so much for your reply.
    I am looking at a house in Fforster lawn which is at ballydowd manor area. Is this considered a nice area? Also, is it part of the St Mary's Parish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Cubu81 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your reply.
    I am looking at a house in Fforster lawn which is at ballydowd manor area. Is this considered a nice area? Also, is it part of the St Mary's Parish?

Fforster is in the parish of Lucan (St Mary's) as you can see on the map:

Parish-Map-2010.jpg

Thanks for clarifying this.
    Any feedback on the area would be highly appreciated. Also, which mixed schools are considered to be the good ones?
    Many thanks again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

None of my kids went to Lucan Primaries, bar one, St Thomas's (and Scoil Áine Naofa), so I can't really comment. But you'd be in Lucan parish, which would not be in this catchment area (Esker). There are plenty of Educate Together schools available, plus at least two Gaelscoilleanna, if that floats your boat.

• Advertisement

That helps a lot. Cheers for the help and for taking the time to reply back! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Ffffforster & Esker always seemed quiet and family orientated to me, the biggest issue being a bit of a walk to get to bus stops, the lack of pubs/restaurants, and traffic in the morning. There is a pedestrian shortcut down to Lucan village which goes past the graveyard. The estates west of the Penny Hill in general would be my preferred locations, and if you google the names you'll see only the occasional bit of trouble.

Hi Hmmm, :) thanks for all the info...really useful. Getting a bit worried hearing about how bad the traffic is. Fforster seems to be close to the shops, pubs and bus stops and I just hope that it won't be close enough to any trouble too. 
    Cheers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

I live in Colthurst beside the penny hill. It's a great estate. Never any trouble. Fantastic residents association that do regular clean ups around the estate. I am here nearly twenty years and I have never had any problems. Lots of families and professional people. Neighbours really look out for each other.

Thank you for your reply. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement