Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable housing

Options
  • 27-08-2018 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭

There may be a new affordable housing initiative in the budget for those who don't qualify for social housing but do not earn enough to support an open market mortgage.

Can a mortgage based housing subsidy ever be designed so that the participants cannot benefit financially from the subsidy they are getting? in other words, it would be a housing and not the bases of a financial asset, could never be rented out for example.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Where are you getting this information from?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

myshirt wrote: »

Just listening to FF and what they want from the budget negotiations. It more a general point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

mariaalice wrote: »
    There may be a new affordable housing initiative in the budget.....
    myshirt wrote: »

http://rebuildingirelandhomeloan.ie/ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

victor8600 wrote: »

That's something that is already in place. For years actually, they've just re-badged it, re-announced it, but increased the funding.

The op is on about something else. I had a look at the pre budget tax strategy etc papers and see nothing in there, so wondering where the information source is. FF have been harping on about loads of things for months, but there is nothing in the pipeline. It will likely to be October 2019 before you see anything. It takes time to build these initiatives.

For now, the Indecon report that is coming out in a month will be key.

Can a mortgage based housing subsidy ever be designed so that the participants cannot benefit financially from the subsidy they are getting?

No. It is either a mortgage and you are responsible for risks (being in debt) and benefits (can sell/rent).

What should be possible, in my opinion, is an option for any citizen to apply and get social housing with all its current limitations and advantages. I may have preferred to live in a council house and pay a limited percentage of my salary towards the rent rather than to have a mortgage and to fear losing my home because of a temporary unemployment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

victor8600 wrote: »
    No. It is either a mortgage and you are responsible for risks (being in debt) and benefits (can sell/rent).

What should be possible, in my opinion, is an option for any citizen to apply and get social housing with all its current limitations and advantages. I may have preferred to live in a council house and pay a limited percentage of my salary towards the rent rather than to have a mortgage and to fear losing my home because of a temporary unemployment.

Yes, but how to account for the discount/subsidy the purchaser of affordable housing gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

mariaalice wrote:
    Just listening to FF and what they want from the budget negotiations. It more a general point though.

They also want a social welfare increase. They have little or no input into the budget so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yes, but how to account for the discount/subsidy the purchaser of affordable housing gets.

Council housing is owned by the council, as far as I understand. You pay rent according to your means, and get to live in it with more freedom (pets, redecoration) than you would have in a privately rented house. But since you do not own the house, you cannot sell it or sub-rent it.

Any affordable mortgage scheme is basically free money for those who qualify. There was a scheme in 2000's where you would pay only a potion of the mortgage yourself. You could sell the house, but you would pay the council its portion of the mortgage. So when the prices were going up, it was a once-off opportunity to gain a €100K for being in the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Possibly some of the rent to buy social housing? Planning given recently in Loughlinstown for social housing (via housing association) where the tenant can buy after ten years at what is essentially a bargain rate for that location.

Advertisement