Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Vs Spurs 20:00 Sky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

murpho999 wrote: »
    Jose's post match interview should be interesting if he gives one.

He'll be gone in 60secs I predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

October is the start of the season now? Who was sent off for United tonight?

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

2nd game in a row that Fred has done absolutely nothing, either that or Martin Tyler just can’t be arsed saying his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

martyos121 wrote: »
    The penny must be finally dropping for Ed Woodward that signing those new sponsors can’t sort out that defence.

A new devil is arraaaavinggggggg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

murpho999 wrote: »
    Jose's post match interview should be interesting if he gives one.

I actually he will be normal tonight. He usually is after hammerings like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Spurs manager ironically would be ideal for United.

Where's the irony?

Charlie19 wrote: »
    For it's worth... I thought utd actually played well and were just caught out by a couple of individual mistakes.

Would've been a different game if Lukaku took 2 of his chances. Shaw was doing well down the left too. They'll be a different outfit when they play Chelsea in October, unfortunately for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

What?

liverpool lost to Spurs on October 22nd, hardly the start of the season. And Liverpool lost to City after having a man sent off.

Hardly comparable to being utter rubbish for the first three games of the season now is it?

liverpool lost to Spurs on October 22nd, hardly the start of the season. And Liverpool lost to City after having a man sent off.

Hardly comparable to being utter rubbish for the first three games of the season now is it?

Sure look we'll see in May when 38 games are done, it's hard enough to predict the rest of the season now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

GavRedKing wrote: »
    He'll be gone in 60secs I predict.

Yes, with monosyllabic answers I'd expect. He was very relaxed before the kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Where's the irony?

He was manager that inflicted what could be a killing blow to Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,576 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

eigrod wrote: »
    Mourinho is in a daze. He looks shot.

The manager isn't the problem.

Scrap the cap!

still waiting for spurs to go do it away at a top six team tho tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Jose's pantomime clapping at the end is literally the biggest cringe moment I've seen in a long long time.

How much has he spent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Stephen Rochford is at a loose end now, give him a call Ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Seem like every shot is going past De Gea these days.

Players have learned to stop shooting straight at him.

I knew last seasons xg-MC2 stats couldn't be sustained! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Maybe he is, maybe he isn’t. But he is the manager and he is responsible for results. He has been backed with very good resources and his squad is equipped talent wise to achieve much more and perform much better then it has been.

Any top four manager would get more out of that squad of players. Klopp, Pochetino or Pep would make some very good players play, Mourinho can’t do that anymore. Just look at how Martial and Pogba have gone backwards under him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Mourinho has lost it

No I was wrong, he is talking complete bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I wonder if Utd fans are actually surprised?

Surely everyone knows what you get when you sign Jose, or rather what you dont get.
    Charlton was right, shouldn't have gone near him but the board or rather woodward went for the quick fix

i mean how could they ignore his time at real madrid (attacking incident), evegate at chelsea, etc etc

things you dont get with Jose

exciting attacking football
    youth development
    more than 3 seasons

things you do get with jose
    a pot or two or even three
    palpable discord with the squad, supporters, journos, the board and pretty much everything that moves
    controversy
    moaning about refs
    moaning about the board
    moaning about money
    etc etc

i mean he is hardly a secret anymore

He’s going full on Trump here, going after the media. Go on Jose, say fake news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Lol

He’s going full on Trump here, going after the media. Go on Jose, say fake news.

Was just thinking the same. Think he's lost it.

How much has he spent?

Take a long term view.

The later Fergie years, the club was starved of investment because the Glazers saddled it with debt. Fergie said "there's no value in the market" when what he really meant was he was given no money. The midfield and back 4 were allowed to grow old together. When Rio / Vidic retired we were left with 2 converted wingers and Jones/Smalling as a first choice back 4. Somehow Fergie managed to retire with a title to take the bad look off things, but the club was already in a state.

Then we had Moyes, LVG, Mourinho all with different priorities as to players to get in. Moyes was not backed. LVG was but he bought sh!t. Mourinho was not backed this summer.

We're STILL stuck with the same first choice back 4 that Fergie finished up with, who weren't good enough then and still aren't good enough now.

You can't expect Pogba or Sanchez to carry an entire side when (a) they're so inconsistent in their own play (b) many of the players around them just aren't good enough.

Meanwhile City have played the long game, invested billions, built up a top quality squad and continue to buy wisely to ensure they have 2 good quality players for every position. Even Liverpool have bought very wisely in the last 2-3 windows and strengthened the obvious deficiencies in their squad. United have not.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Going by this interview which I’m watching now... I can’t make up my mind if he needs sacking, locking away or both. Staggering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Laughing at his defence

He’s all over the place, he needs to get away and take a year or two out from football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Jose's pantomime clapping at the end is literally the biggest cringe moment I've seen in a long long time.

Hold my Beer, Keyesy

https://twitter.com/beINSPORTS/status/1034184581199450113?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Would've been a different game if Lukaku took 2 of his chances. Shaw was doing well down the left too. They'll be a different outfit when they play Chelsea in October, unfortunately for us

They'll have a new manager by then at this rate. :pac:

He’s all over the place, he needs to get away and take a year or two out from football.

At the rate things are going, United need to take a year or two out of football.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Genuinely disappointed he didn’t go for Big SAM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Definitely worth keeping in mind that this Spurs squad is the same one that Utd beat twice last year, so its hard to completely blame the lack of transfers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I wonder if Utd fans are actually surprised?

Surely everyone knows what you get when you sign Jose, or rather what you dont get.
    Charlton was right, shouldn't have gone near him but the board or rather woodward went for the quick fix

i mean how could they ignore his time at real madrid (attacking incident), evegate at chelsea, etc etc

things you dont get with Jose

exciting attacking football
    youth development
    more than 3 seasons

things you do get with jose
    a pot or two or even three
    palpable discord with the squad, supporters, journos, the board and pretty much everything that moves
    controversy
    moaning about refs
    moaning about the board
    moaning about money
    etc etc

i mean he is hardly a secret anymore

He's absolutely toxic.

Calderon called him an enemy of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,625 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Strumms wrote: »
    Going by this interview which I’m watching now... I can’t make up my mind if he needs sacking, locking away or both. Staggering

The same was said last year, the year before that and every year since he left Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I honestly did not see that coming. :eek:That said Lukaku would probably thrive.

Andy Gray has some great banter.

Love the silence after he says it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

yet he is still one of the most successful modern managers ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's had his day. He just hasn't moved with the times in both his football and man management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Success in football is a strange parameter though. If you look at 'successful' players then the reserve keepers of Barca and Bayern are more successful than the even some of the first XI who win the major trophies.

Case in point Pinto for Barca.

Management is similar. Trappatoni has all the successful accolades. Wouldn't let him near any Premier league team with a barge pole though when he was active during the Ireland years tho. There is a strong sense that more and more teams in soccer have adapted to playing against low blocks and Jose doesn't seem to have adapted to that yet. He may still adapt, but it looks slim and slimmer by the day.

• Advertisement

That smile on carraghers face was classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

That 50m + Mina & Gomes for Pogba might turn out to be an opportunity missed. I can't see Pogba having the bottle to soldier on if this is what United's season is looking like. Him trying a no look pass at 2-0 down is telling, he couldn't give a flying f*ck when things are going wrong. You'd wonder if he'll fetch 100m next summer if he continues on like this.

Very little if any progress visible in United. Liverpool bought well and the sharpness is there already. City are still City. Chelsea look like they have potential anyway. Arsenal are in a proper rebuild so it'll take time. But there's no excuse for United. In the last 5 years they've spent not too much less than City and in terms of their football quality they've **** all to show for it. It is actually a bit of a chore to have to watch them play.

Sanchez looks ruined. Martial wants to go. Rashford has been off it for about 6 months if not more. Herrera seems to have lost all footballing ability and turned into a permanent angry terrier player. Valencia, Jones and Smalling are not good enough any more. If Bailly ends up going off the boil as well as De Gea not being as invincible as he was last season then they are in serious serious trouble. You can blame lack of transfers but over the last few years they've not been too far behind City and are probably on par with Livepool and Chelsea.

Wining trophies is a burden sometimes, Mourinho is past it. Everything about him screams hate and loathing - like Alan Partridge he lives in a hotel and probably has 12 inch plate. But cos he has a glittering CV people seem to think that'll be enough. The man who should be managing Man Utd is managing Spurs - he'd build something for the club. Mourinho is just phoning it in and cashing the cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

https://twitter.com/kylemartino/status/1034191578825408512?s=21

His true colours coming out now, as usual it’s all about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Turtwig wrote: »
    Success in football is a strange parameter though. If you look at 'successful' players then the reserve keepers of Barca and Bayern are more successful than the even some of the first XI who win the major trophies.

Case in point Pinto for Barca.

Management is similar. Trappatoni has all the successful accolades. Wouldn't let him near any Premier league team with a barge pole though when he was active during the Ireland years tho. There is a strong sense that more and more teams in soccer have adapted to playing against low blocks and Jose doesn't seem to have adapted to that yet. He may still adapt, but it looks slim and slimmer by the day.

Very strange point, comparing a 'successful' sub keeper to the manager of a succesful team. The manager that trains the team, selects players, sets out a style of play, tactics, is involved in player recruitment etc. to the sub keeper who plays no noteworthy part!?

• Advertisement
Advertisement