Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help. What to do

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You have already used your deposit to pay your rent arrears from last year so you are in arrears for your last three weeks.

Where do you get 3 weeks from last year from or have I missed something.

Rent is 800 per month.
    Deposit owed is 560.
    Op payed 240 for the last months rent.
    240(Rent Payed)+560(Deposit not returned)=800(rent owed for last month).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Is the LL registered with the RTB?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

2 years ago rent has incressed to 800 but deposit top up was never asked so it remained 560.

Also last year I had to pay weekly 200 per week - so I left him short by not paying rent for 3 weeks but did tranfer 40 euros to match what deposit is.

800 x 12 is 9600
    800 x 52 is 10400 or 800 more you paid an extra months rent by paying weekly?

You you said he could keep the deposit? Has he been calling you or did you block his number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

This is not the same as non-payment of rent leading to eviction. The landlord will have to prove to the PRTB adjudicator that they are down money. And that is quite hard to do. .

Sorry Cuddlesworth, I'm not going to bother replying to the rest of your post, you started off your post with something which is absolutely wrong.

Non payment of rent is easy to prove, the tenant stopped paying rent and is in arrears, the op has actually confirmed this. Your deposit icannot be used as your last month's rent except by agreement with the Landlord.

You are correct, a tenant does not need to leave a forwarding address, but if you leave without paying rent, don't be surprised if a LL uses any other address in file to contact you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

My landlord did not explain why it was long gone and when he said it I said what you mean long gone u havent carried any of the repairs since i moved in. We kept arguing and i said alright keep the deposit. good luck

That’s poor communication by the landlord and at a minimum he should be telling you I had to replace x and clean y etc. this does not give you the power to just withhold money though and you should have disputed this with the RTB

• Advertisement

Also is it ok for Landlord to act like that and tell my reletives and friends that I owe him money and planning on to showing up at my workplace?

That could be potentially harassment but don’t quote me on that. At the same point he could argue in court he is trying to make contact with you through civil means to recoup his money. It does sound like it’s more malicious than that and the above may not stand in court but if I wanted to be sneaky that is how I would try and position it

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Was the tenancy registered with PRTB? Likely not. If not, you can use its facilities, but he can't.
    But not paying rent is a breach.

I suggest you talk politely but factually. Sounds like an old school landlord who believes the deposit is 'jam'. Talk clearly, ask why the deposit was not going to be repaid. If hes cynical about the arrangement, then draw a line under that approach and put it to him clearly that as someone not registered with PRTB, both PRTB and Revenue will be AS interested as your coworkers and family will be.
    Fairness is a double-edged sword. Be firm and fair.

I'm assuming you've caused no damage.

You assume too much.where did the op say he isn’t registered with the RTB? Stop going to assumptions as the majority of ll do it by the book and register.

As others have said, two wrongs don’t make a right and in this case, the tenant needs to leave first before an itemized list is made. What should have happened here is tenants pays rent in full, tenant deposit is withheld detailing why. If not, then tenant files a dispute with RTB and more than likely will receive deposit back in full if the LL hasn’t all his ducks in a row.

• He tells the PRTB the landlord informed him ahead of the ending of his tenancy that he had no intention of returning the deposit.
    • That the landlord intimidated and harassed him after leaving, including showing up to his workplace, while the amount owed to the landlord was still a zero sum.
    • That he ended the tenancy as the rental was no up to standards and was in no fit condition to live in.
    • That the landlord never returned his deposit and the amount owed in the business relationship was zero.

It doesn't even matter if the above is true. The landlord will never get that money back as he also never returned the deposit. He would be laughed out of the room with fines to boot if he even tried to start going down the proper channels, like most half-assed landlords in this country.

If you want the landlord to go away, pay him.
    If you would like some more money, lodge a PRTB dispute with him when he escalates.

I assume you have disputed many cases with the RTB... The odds are stacked in tenants favor and more than likely with everything that has been described by op, he would have gotten his deposit back.

He would not be laughed out of court as it is still rent arrears. Like it or lump it, you dispute after the fact which wasn’t done here

Everything Davo has said is factually correct and concisely expressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

daheff wrote: »
    im pretty sure theres a GDPR breach in here too.... he cant go atound telling people about your business issues with him (whether you owe him rent or not).

By the book you should have paid him rent..... but it doesnt sound like this situation is by the book.. so i understand & sympathise with you.

Its a domestic issue not a data protection one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

GarIT wrote: »
    GDPR only applies to companies.

GDPR applies to all data processors, which includes individuals. Solicitors for example are data processors even though they cannot trade as companies. A landlord is a data processor.

Fol20 wrote: »
    That could be potentially harassment but don’t quote me on that. At the same point he could argue in court he is trying to make contact with you through civil means to recoup his money. It does sound like it’s more malicious than that and the above may not stand in court but if I wanted to be sneaky that is how I would try and position it

The landlord can't go to court. It would be an RTB dispute. He is not going to be charged with harassment. Unless the o/p gave him permission in writing he cannot visit the o/ps workplace in an effort to embarrass him without committing an ofence under the NFOAPA. The chances the landlord would be charged by the guards though are ultra low.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Hang on, under normal circumstances I would agree that’s it’s wrong to withhold rent but after the unprofessional LL told the tenant that their deposit was “long gone” with no explanation I would have done the exact same to protect myself.

Also as detailed, if the monthly rent was still 800 but he decided to collect 200 per week he/she has been swindling you and owes you money.

Now if he harasses you, make a complaint to the guards. If he tells people you know lies, you just tell them of his slumlord practices. If you’re already in a new place I wouldn’t lose a dot of sleep over it.

Its a domestic issue not a data protection one.

It certainly is a data protection issue. It arises from a business relationship, not a domestic one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

4ensic15 wrote: »
    It certainly is a data protection issue. It arises from a business relationship, not a domestic one.

Its an accusation that someone owes money. That's not personal data.

riemann wrote: »
    This was hilarious. Cheers, needed a good chuckle to start the day.

To be fair, the op has been there for 5 years, we don't know what damage was done, if any , what needs to be replaced, if anything or what the LL has had to pay out during/after the tenancy ends. On a platform like this where posters post anonymously, you rarely get a balanced/objective account of the issues from an aggrieved op so all we can do is take them at their word. The op jumped the gun and stopped paying rent before the LL had an opportunity to present an itemised list. And the only address for communication is the work address, the op has stated this.

Is there a chance you are more easily amused in the earlier part of the day?

It certainly is.

When entering into a tenancy you supply personal and sensitive information to a LL which is stored for the duration of the tenancy. That makes the LL subject to DP/GDPR legislation. The LL cannot then disseminate that information without risking a complaint. Telling others about the debt owed is disseminating personal information by identifying the tenant and informing others of the debt owed. Your bank manager cannot tell others that you are behind on your repayments.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

All- any posts advocating illegal activity- or condoning it- which includes purloining rent without express permission to do so- will be deleted and the poster who made such a suggestion infracted.

It is not acceptable to advocate people break the law, without exception.

The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Is the LL registered with the RTB?
    This requires clarification. Nothing can be assumed, lest we be seen to be provoking other posters.
    It would seem rather odd for a landlord to be registered and then allegedly proceed down the avenues mentioned. But as I've been warned, you cannot make any assumptions. In fact, I can't see how to even make observations on scenarios on any thread without offending some snowflake and being accused of trolling. Utterly incomprehensible so I will have to sit this one out while the rest of you deal in the little (alleged) facts you have at your disposal in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

An Ri rua do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Needhome

Hi

I recently moved out from a property that I lived for nearly 5 years.
    When I notified the landlord that I was moving I asked him about deposit 560 and he told me it was long gone. So out of anger, I decided not to pay for the last 3 weeks that I was staying which would come to 550.

Now that I have gone and left him short he's going around a lot of ppl that I know and telling them that I owe him money and asking my whereabouts.
    Also one of the friends told me he is planning to show up where I work.

Can he harras me like that?
    I'm willing to pay back whats owed im just not in position to do it right away

Thank you

If you left nothing damaged in the place you were renting then he has not right to keep your deposit. Saying it was "long gone" doesnt cut it. I would of demanded it back and informed him that i would be reporting him to the prtb.
    With knowing he's doing all this now and a possible chance of him coming to ykur workplace,id be going to the prtb now and reporting it giving full truthful info on whats going on and then he will be contacted. Or go see a solicitor.
    But what ever you do dont give in to this intimidation and pay him what you dont owe him.

Needhome wrote: »
    If you left nothing damaged in the place you were renting then he has not right to keep your deposit. Saying it was "long gone" doesnt cut it. I would of demanded it back and informed him that i would be reporting him to the prtb.
    With knowing he's doing all this now and a possible chance of him coming to ykur workplace,id be going to the prtb now and reporting it giving full truthful info on whats going on and then he will be contacted. Or go see a solicitor.
    But what ever you do dont give in to this intimidation and pay him what you dont owe him.

A mod 3 posts above your own say don’t advocate illegals activity and you straight to it again 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Needhome

Fol20 wrote: »
    A mod 3 posts above your own say don’t advocate illegals activity and you straight to it again 🙄

??

Advertisement