Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Declan Rice giving up on playing for Ireland?

• 27-08-2018 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭

According to RTE Rice has been left out of MONs squad and England have made contact with him. He's "deliberating" about his international allegiance apparantly. Not good news.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Maybe too soon to assume, but it’s definitely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

If Rice is 'deliberating', then it's time to cut the cord.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    If Rice is 'deliberating', then it's time to cut the cord.

It really isn’t. If he commits then he’s in it for the long haul and I’m sure he will contribute greatly.

Chap has lived in England his whole life so it’s not surprising he has a decision to make.

I hope they don't indulge this for too long. It took Scott Hogan 3 years to settle for us. The Grealish saga dragged on and on too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

To be honest I'm more concerned MOM is still manager with his history of not trying to help persuade players to join up with the Irish squad means this will probably drag and drag and drag until Rice ends up playing for England.

We need Big Mick back.

• Advertisement

Still deliberating may mean his heart isn't in it.

We've been down this road before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

If he needs time to think the response should be thanks but no thanks.

CSF wrote: »
    It really isn’t. If he commits then he’s in it for the long haul and I’m sure he will contribute greatly.

Chap has lived in England his whole life so it’s not surprising he has a decision to make.

Don't be naive. He played 3 times for Ireland already and then Southgate/England come on the scene.

He's opted out of Ireland squad. He's already made his decision. You know it.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Still deliberating may mean his heart isn't in it.

We've been down this road before.

Didn’t work out too badly with Harry Arter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

I hope he decides not to play for us and this final nail in the coffin for this nonsense of us trying to convince foreign born players to declare for us.

The whole grandparents rule and us having to ask players to play for Ireland has been embarasing, if you are going to be picked to play for Ireland you have to come to us and ask not the other way around.

• Advertisement

Didn’t work out too badly with Harry Arter

I didn't know Harry was courted by the English team manager?

I hope he decides not to play for us and this final nail in the coffin for this nonsense of us trying to convince foreign born players to declare for us.

The whole grandparents rule and us having to ask players to play for Ireland has been embarasing, if you are going to be picked to play for Ireland you have to come to us and ask not the other way around.

I'd rather be competing with granny rule players than not competing with pure bred Irish only.

I'd rather be competing with granny rule players than not competing with pure bred Irish only.

The granny rule is a crutch the FAI have been leaning on and it lets them get away with not properly developing players in this country.

The game in Ireland would benefit greatly from us not using the granny rule any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

He's been playing for Ireland for years at underage level and then 3 times at senior level. This is actually disgusting. MON should come out and say we're finished with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dispointing but can't really blame him.

Southgate has shown he will give youngsters a chance & under O'Neill we play the worst football in Europe.

keano_afc wrote: »
    If he needs time to think the response should be thanks but no thanks.
    The response should be Fck off we're finished with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

MD1990 wrote: »

Southgate has shown he will give youngsters a chance & under O'Neill we play the worst football in Europe.

Agree with all of that.

The granny rule is a crutch the FAI have been leaning on and it lets them get away with not properly developing players in this country.

The game in Ireland would benefit greatly from us not using the granny rule any more.

It'll hardly benefit before more money is put into developing players.

MD1990 wrote: »

Here we go, someone is going to try to turn this into a dig at O'Neill. This guy has played 3 times at senior level has picked up player of the year awards from the FAI. It's disgusting behaviour to do a u turn now. He is a disgrace and Ireland should be very clear that they are finished with him now.

It'll hardly benefit before more money is put into developing players.

It might because it'll finally makes us realise we need to develope our own payers not relying on british clubs to do it for us.

Becasue we've been leaching off the british game for so long it reduces the need for us to rely solely developing our own players.

• Advertisement

It might because it'll finally makes us realise we need to develope our own payers not relying on british clubs to do it for us.

Becasue we've been leaching off the british game for so long it reduces the need for us to rely solely developing our own players.

You trust the FAI to remove the granny rule and pump money into developing players?

Do the latter before the former would be the logical thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Gutted about this. Last year there was "no decision to make" now England in contact and he's deliberating. It's a funny one though as he's born and bred in England so i can see why he's deciding. I think agents have a lot of pull sure lets be honest money wise it's better for them to declare for England over Ireland (assuming the person makes it in the English set up)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I said last year I thought the international team was in difficulty.

Look at the squad announced. Take Coleman out and you realise how much trouble the team is actually in.

Can't afford to bleed any talent.

At the same time if someone has to 'deliberate' they really should be nowhere near the squad in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

He was a bit naive to come out so strong in previous announcements about playing for us. He should have kept his head down and said nothing. He is entitled to change his mind but it would come across as a bit 2 faced.

Did Grealish ever play a game for England after ? There was talk of Spurs I think but he is still in the championship as far as I know. Maybe it'll happen for him at some point but no guarantee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'm still confident he'll play for Ireland but if not, it is what it is. Having said those things it would have been hard to see him change his kind now but we'll see. Although if people were half as angry about the development in Ireland as they seem to get about players who declare or not then maybe there'd be forced progress somewhere. Players declaring or not have almost zero effect on the F.A.I.'s turned up nose at the game here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He’s an Englishman born and bred in England. They’re always going to be his first choice, he just didn’t think he was good enough to play for them.

He’s an Englishman born and bred in England. They’re always going to be his first choice, he just didn’t think he was good enough to play for them.

We shouldn't be picking English born players at any level if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

TheCitizen wrote: »
    We shouldn't be picking English born players at any level if that's the case.

You’re right, we shouldn’t but because the FAI are so incompetent, we don’t produce enough good players ourselves and rely on picking up England’s second tier of players and Northern Irish players.

It’s a ****e state of affair but with Herr Delaney awarding himself a new eight year contract, it’s not going to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The FAI will start capping English born players at 16 at this rate hoping to tie them down. End of the game. On you go there for a minute lad.

• Advertisement

The FAI will start capping English born players at 16 at this rate hoping to tie them down. End of the game. On you go there for a minute lad.
    Seriously, they need to do something to stop this and i'd consider that. Otherwise just don't pick english born players at all.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    He was a bit naive to come out so strong in previous announcements about playing for us. He should have kept his head down and said nothing. He is entitled to change his mind but it would come across as a bit 2 faced.

Did Grealish ever play a game for England after ? There was talk of Spurs I think but he is still in the championship as far as I know. Maybe it'll happen for him at some point but no guarantee.

Would be surprising if Grealish doesn’t end up having at least some form of England career. May never hit the heights he was hoping for with them all the same. The next few years will show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

But it can't be a friendly, has to be a competitive game to mean anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

They have been trying to do this since forever, nothing new there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Yep and that's too black and white. Like it or not, you need to attract players from the UK to accompany the RoI players who are of an international calibre for the foreseeable further.

I don't see what the problem is with the granny rule. We all know that they are people who were born in the UK who've had very Irish upbringings and they'd jump at the chance to play for you. Some of your best servants have come from that background. If the team was Irish born only, you'd have a very weak squad at the moment. No Walters, McClean, McCarthy, McGeady, Arter, Clark, Duffy off the top of my head. What would your XI be without the granny rule?

If you wanted to 'lock-in' Rice, why didn't you just play him against a lower ranked team when the game was wrapped up? All he would have needed was a few mins on the pitch. Can't see him getting into our XI. I like him but I don't think he's good enough.

J Mysterio wrote: »

The need to be more aggressive about it or else forget about English born players entirely

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    Yep and that's too black and white. Like it or not, you need to attract players from the UK to accompany the RoI players who are of an international calibre for the foreseeable further.

I don't see what the problem is with the granny rule. We all know that they are people who were born in the UK who've had very Irish upbringings and they'd jump at the chance to play for you. Some of your best servants have come from that background. If the team was Irish born only, you'd have a very weak squad at the moment. No Walters, McClean, McCarthy, McGeady, Arter, Clark, Duffy off the top of my head. What would your XI be without the granny rule?

If you wanted to 'lock-in' Rice, why didn't you just play him against a lower ranked team when the game was wrapped up? All he would have needed was a few mins on the pitch. Can't see him getting into our XI. I like him but I don't think he's good enough.
    LOL, out for a bit of fishing today are we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

The need to be more aggressive about it or else forget about English born players entirely

We had a fully committed rice on the bench against Austria. A cap there and this sorry message would have never developed. Instead O'Neill left him on the bench. I'm not for capping for the sake of it, but we do have some qualification games against low ranked teams where we could cap prospects. It's disappointing as he's been tarnished now, what ever way it turns out.

McClean and Duffy were born in Ireland.

If they want to play for Ireland but are born outside of Ireland fine but unfortunately too many of the newwer generation don't seem to be that committed to the cause and have accepted us as a second option and are only too happy to jump ship should the chance arise.

The Granny Rule is a crutch that the FAI have been using for too long, if we want to move forward we need to stop using it and only make an exception if a player asks to play for Ireland.The Granny Rule means we can be less than committed to underage developement and still have a decent team , this sort of thinking needs to be got rid of and we need to 100% stand on our own two feet.

LOL, out for a bit of fishing today are we?

Oh give it a break and discuss the topic. We all know that there are political sensitivities around players from NI. If the RoI opted for lads who have never played for any other association, hope that's better, then what would the team look like. I was just looking at your potential XI when I named those players. Leave the politicking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

For posters saying give 16, 17 year olds one minute at end of competitive games to lock them in...

This ignores the fact that players and their agents would be aware of that as a trick so it wouldn't work anyway.

Now is the time for root and branch reform of football in Ireland when the international team is weak and has little hope of qualifying for tournaments for some years to come.

What we have is not working. We don't have enough talent coming through. And we are despised around Europe for our style of football.

The fans deserve a new approach and better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

J Mysterio wrote: »

How many 16 year olds have played for the Irish senior team??

"On 30 May 1971 Jimmy Holmes became the youngest ever player to win an international cap for the Republic of Ireland soccer team. He was 17 years and 200 days when he lined out Ireland against Austria"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Cut him loose right now, draw a line under it, and show the bit of decorum that the IFA didn't.

Salmon wrote: »
    We had a fully committed rice on the bench against Austria. A cap there and this sorry message would have never developed. Instead O'Neill left him on the bench. I'm not for capping for the sake of it, but we do have some qualification games against low ranked teams where we could cap prospects. It's disappointing as he's been tarnished now, what ever way it turns out.
    Yep. From now on we should deliberately throw a player on for the last 30 seconds of a game. That player can then be dropped out of the squad back to underage or whatever. The English have clearly taken a decision to become aggressive with us on these players who are eligible for both. we need to fight fire with fire with the English. Other than that don't pick English born players at all anymore.

And you're right Rice is tarnished now. We should come out and say we're finished with him and he can stick his "deliberations".

How many 16 year olds have played for the Irish senior team??

"On 30 May 1971 Jimmy Holmes became the youngest ever player to win an international cap for the Republic of Ireland soccer team. He was 17 years and 200 days when he lined out Ireland against Austria"

I think he was exaggerating about 16 year olds. We should be more aggressive about capping English born players in the closing stages of competitive games v weaker nations though. We should be brazen about it. This crap that Rice is pulling has to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Funny thing is Grealish has yet to be capped by England, MON still hasn't closed the door there yet, mentioned it briefly in an interview about Rice last week.
    I'm fairness both would add a lot to our squad.

The English have clearly taken a decision to become aggressive with us on these players who are eligible for both. we need to fight fire with fire with the English.

This isn't a new. We've done this for years, as have you. Paul McGrath was eligible to play for us and we approached him (as noted in his book), for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭_brendand_

To be honest I'm more concerned MOM is still manager

Freudian slip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Oh give it a break and discuss the topic. We all know that there are political sensitivities around players from NI. If the RoI opted for lads who have never played for any other association, hope that's better, then what would the team look like. I was just looking at your potential XI when I named those players. Leave the politicking out.

But it's politics that is at the very centre of the topic that's under discussion ??? Borders, nationalities, Good Friday Agreement, free movement of people etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

secman wrote: »
    Funny thing is Grealish has yet to be capped by England, MON still hasn't closed the door there yet, mentioned it briefly in an interview about Rice last week.
    I'm fairness both would add a lot to our squad.

I thought Grealish couldn’t switch back even if he wanted too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He could have made that choice before he played for Ireland..

Hope he never wears the Green shirt again.

Hope he never wears the White one either

• Advertisement
Advertisement