Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Declan Rice giving up on playing for Ireland?

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

The granny rule is a crutch the FAI have been leaning on and it lets them get away with not properly developing players in this country.

The game in Ireland would benefit greatly from us not using the granny rule any more.
    Faugheen wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to your protests about them so.

Oh wait..

Why are we bothering with them? Because the FAI can't develop Irish players here.

That's the root of the problem, not Declan Rice, so aim your anger and 'pashún' at them instead of a 19 year old kid who might want to play for the country he was born in (I mean, how f*cking dare he).

See above the second post i made on this thread from the first page.

I'm fine with Rice playing for England don't have the slighest issue with it.

I do have an issue with him now as he's fluted around and we should politely inform him we don't want him to play for Ireland anymore.

The vast majority of people who now don't want Rice to play for us seem to be with the idea that it's up to the FAI to do a better job developing players.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

So would you not want Harry Arter or Scott Hogan to never play with us again?

You seem to be ignoring this point over and over.

The green jersey was devalued a long time ago and it’s nothing to do with Declan Rice, so spare me the passion for a few minutes.

If you give so much of a ****e about the green jersey then you’d be asking why we have to rely on players picking us over their home country and not throwing vitriol at a kid who changed his mind.

Cant recall Arter and Hogan playing for us kissing the badge singing the anthem and then wanting to go playing for England -we are not relying on overseas lads playing for us but if players who are available to play for us are better than what we have we try get them in I have no problem with that do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I do have an issue with him now as he's fluted around and we should politely inform him we don't want him to play for Ireland anymore.

He's 19. He's got 2 of the most despicable owners in Football pressuring him and possibly giving him ultimatums on how much more/less they'd pay him if he played for England/Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Lukker- wrote: »
    People get way too worked over these things. He's not picking which side to fight for in the Easter Rising. It's possible to have a connection to multiple national identities, as anyone born to 2nd/3rd generation emmigrant parents will testify to.

Your point is absolutely fair...a year ago. But hes made 3 appearances now. That's a lot of people's issue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So would you not want Harry Arter or Scott Hogan to never play with us again?

You seem to be ignoring this point over and over.

The green jersey was devalued a long time ago and it’s nothing to do with Declan Rice, so spare me the passion for a few minutes.

If you give so much of a ****e about the green jersey then you’d be asking why we have to rely on players picking us over their home country and not throwing vitriol at a kid who changed his mind.

Its a stupid point thought.

They didn't win three senior caps and expressed un equivocal desires to play for Ireland first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'm looking forward to your protests about them so.

Oh wait..

Why are we bothering with them? Because the FAI can't develop Irish players here.

That's the root of the problem, not Declan Rice, so aim your anger and 'pashún' at them instead of a 19 year old kid who might want to play for the country he was born in (I mean, how f*cking dare he).

Its like you're deliberately ignoring circumstance to make your point. Yes the FAI aren't developing enough players, but its not in any way relevant to why people are annoyed at Rice.

Also he didn't make the decision to play full international friendlies when he was 15 so stop sprouting that absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Zico ! wrote: »
    ... -we are not relying on overseas lads playing for us ....
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Don't get the fuss,
    He's played 3 times and needs to think about it , MON should do the thinking for him and say thanks and best of luck ,
    I'v no i problem with any English lads or any playing if its what they want to do but if you've to think about it after playing then good luck , He can't come back now its to late , I'm sure other players in thewsquad have lost respect for him (as we have seen with some of there tweets)

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

hots wrote: »
    :confused:

Referring to lads who were not born in Ireland
    Any lads who were not born here but want to play for us due to the granny rule are welcome not fellas who play for us then change their minds after friendlies that's pulling the p1ss so obviously we need to ensure this doesn't happen again we be a laughing stock.
    Rule needs to change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Lets all have a think about what decisions we made as a 19 year old and give the lad a break......is it not perfectly reasonable for him to have a think about it?

These situations bring up a whole load of questions about our setup in general and maybe its about time we as a country have a solid progressive plan in place on how to move football forward over the coming years with a view of being successful. If the same amount of time and effort went into developing the Irish game than scrounging around for players that wont get capped for England but may be alright for us then maybe we'd be in a better place than getting annoyed that an 19 year old English lad doesn't have a change of heart in representing us.

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    Lets all have a think about what decisions we made as a 19 year old and give the lad a break......is it not perfectly reasonable for him to have a think about it?

These situations bring up a whole load of questions about our setup in general and maybe its about time we as a country have a solid progressive plan in place on how to move football forward over the coming years with a view of being successful. If the same amount of time and effort went into developing the Irish game than scrounging around for players that wont get capped for England but may be alright for us then maybe we'd be in a better place than getting annoyed that an 19 year old English lad doesn't have a change of heart in representing us.

I think we'd be annoyed regardless.

I think this annoyance, disappointment, forget him attitude is perfectly likely no matter our setup.

This isn't a common thing.

Players rarely wax lyrical about playing for us, win caps, kiss badges and then decide
    (imo obviously cos I can't see a way back) to declare for England on the hope of some forlorn squad place hope in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

noodler wrote: »

I think this annoyance, disappointment, forget him attitude is perfectly likely no matter our setup.

Players rarely wax lyrical about playing for us, win caps, kiss badges and then decide
    (imo obviously cos I can't see a way back) to declare for England on the hope of some forlorn squad place hope in the future.
    Thing is it may become more common now because the English FA are quite happy to watch English born lads play underage for us and then come along and take them back if they're any good. The English FA and others at English clubs as well as agents are interfering in this process in a way that they didn't before, so the FAI have to react.

I get the annoyance at the player. If it drags on and on then I'd have no issue with just moving on, but taking a week or two to decide on what to do is reasonable. If its a game and a few weeks and he decides to declare for us I think we should all forget about it, welcome him into the setup and move on. Many just want to see the back of him and thats unfair IMO.

Players need to honestly wonder about where they will get games.

I can't see Rice in an England squad nevermind getting ganetime.

Who knows in four years or so but hopefully the more high profile grabs like this are the more likely players will consider the risk of declaring for England and being left on the proverbial scrapheap.

Players need to honestly wonder about where they will get games.

I can't see Rice in an England squad nevermind getting ganetime.

Who knows in four years or so but hopefully the more high profile grabs like this are the more likely players will consider the risk of declaring for England and being left on the proverbial scrapheap.

Maybe one cap for the country you're born in means more than many for a country you qualify for. Its a tough situation I've never been in but if there was a chance I'd always hold out for my own country. Maybe its a simplistic view but maybe many players who qualify for us but choose England or whoever feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Maybe one cap for the country you're born in means more than many for a country you qualify for. Its a tough situation I've never been in but if there was a chance I'd always hold out for my own country. Maybe its a simplistic view but maybe many players who qualify for us but choose England or whoever feel the same.
    Fine, so why did he play for underage Irish teams for years up to and including 3 senior caps. He was hardly "holding out" for his own country there was he. Be like saying to your prospective mrs I'll be back to you after I try out this other one several times first, but sure I'll have picked up lots of tricks along the way:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He is a kid, 19 year olds today are a lot less grown up than they were twenty years ago.
    He has agents and friends all telling him what's best for him.
    He might just be taking good advice and taking his time over every important decision he has to make for his future. I hope that is the case.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Fine, so why did he play for underage Irish teams for years up to and including 3 senior caps. He was hardly "holding out" for his own country there was he. Be like saying to your prospective mrs I'll be back to you after I try out this other one several times first, but sure I'll have picked up lots of tricks along the way:pac:

I was replying to noodlers point of players need to think about where they will get games, it doesn’t really apply to Rice I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Declan Rice has been making the decision ever since he first lined out in the green jersey as a youth.

Potentially he knew this day might come along.

The end of last season he knew that England might be sniffing around and that Turkey match was the perfect opportunity to say "no, I don't want to be involved in the Ireland set up".

If he was whole heartedly committed to Ireland a few months ago, what has happened since? I don't think any answer we hear will reflect well on him.

His deliberation didn't start on Monday. That's what pisses me off. He's lived with this possibility for much, much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

In my opinion, you should be country tied once you put on a Senior jersey (so Competitive or Friendly).

Rices' decision just smells of financial rewards which, in my opinion, has no place when it comes to being "offered the honour" by a football association to represent your country.

It should be noted that every country can avail of the "granny" rule and England have had players who have been beneficiaries (John Barnes is one).

In fairness to the FAI, they do seem very willing to allow the player the flexibility. When Noel Whelan played for Leeds, he had played underage with England but wanted to represent Ireland. The English would not release him but kept his papers and kept him tied. He never got a single senior cap.

I was replying to noodlers point of players need to think about where they will get games, it doesn’t really apply to Rice I agree.

In your opinion it doesn't.

In your opinion it doesn't.

Well, ya.....i didn't think I needed to caveat every post I make with IMO....every post is an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If I had to guess I I’d say Andy Townsend would have taken 1 cap for England over the 70 he got for playing for Ireland.

That doesn’t take away the fact he gave everything for Ireland when playing.

If Rice does stay and play for Ireland I don’t see him doing a Giggs on it. He will turn up and give it his all.

Not much more you can ask from a player in this day and age when club football is the be all and end all for 90% of players and fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So frustrating to lose out on talented players. Grealish, Kelly and now Rice. Not to mention that lad with the ginger hair who plays for Man City, Kevin oBrien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

So how much is because of Roy ? Looking more and more transparent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

Bigger picture is what are FAI doing about underage academies going forward, we need a total root and branch look at the FAI and starting at the top with the current dictatorship monopoly that has existed for 15 years or more. Disgraceful it has been allowed to become the gravy train for a very small minority of people when real football people are locked out .

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So frustrating to lose out on talented players. Grealish, Kelly and now Rice. Not to mention that lad with the ginger hair who plays for Man City, Kevin oBrien.

Kevin O'Bruyne?

He's class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Muahahaha wrote: »

We've got a good few Championship level players coming through so I wouldn't worry about the other two. Kelly be a league one player by the end of the season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

We've got a good few Championship level players coming through so I wouldn't worry about the other two. Kelly be a league one player by the end of the season

Grealish is easily the best player in the championship and would be a brilliant asset for Ireland
    I agree on Kelly though, the only thing i can think is he doesnt feel Irish as hes nowhere near the PL never mind the England squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

didn't see game tonight, how did Curtis do?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

championc wrote: »
    So how much is because of Roy ? Looking more and more transparent
    If somebody changes their footballing nationality over the actions of one person then they aren’t worth pursuing. Just get on with the ones that want to play for us like we’ve always done.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

NIMAN wrote: »
    didn't see game tonight, how did Curtis do?

Didn’t play.

Advertisement